Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
While researching this area of Yellowstone Park I came across this interesting spot, Death Gulch, and an old article from The San Francisco Call newspaper, June 24 1901. Poison gasses from nearby hot springs collect there and have evidently caused the demise of many a wild beast.

DEATH GULCH OF YELLOWSTONE PARK WHERE WILD BEASTS PERISH

Earth Emits Poisonous Vapors That Slay More Animals Than Do the Bullets From Hunters' Rifles. 24 June 1901

IN the northeast corner of the Yellowstone National Park, in Wyoming. Is a ravine which Is fully entitled to its name — Death Gulch. It Is a V-shaped trench, cut in the mountain side, and begins about 230 feet above Cache Creek. Apparently It forms a natural shelter for the beasts of the forest, as food, water and shelter are there, but entrance to the gulch means death to any animal, for the poisonous vapors that rl«e out of the ravine are more deadly than the bullets of the huntsmen, says the Laramle (Wyo.) correspondent of the New York Press. Various expeditions under the direction of the United States Geological Survey have reported as to the characteristics of Death Gulch, the last being by Harvey \V. Weed. He eald that he had tested the hollows in the gulch for carbonic acid gas without proving its presence. The atmosphere In the gulch, however, was oppressive. There was a strong smell of sulphur and he suffered from a choking sensation, although a. strong wind prevailed at the time. At the bottom of the gulch were the carcasses of many animals, some of which had met death but a short time before. Theso carcasses were of bear, elk, hares, wolves, etc. Mr. Weert examined the body of a grizzly which evidently had died but a day before, as Its tracks were quite distinct and the carcass perfectly fresh. There was some blood under the nose. Nothing more. Later on Charles Oeorgo and a Mr. Everett of Boston visited the gulch and made an extended examination. They declare the gulch Is a death trap which while different In many ways from the famous Death Valley of Jnva Is as certain In Its effect. At one end the gulch is comparatively open and the wind sweeps through, but at tho other, where it forms a ravine, the gases, accumulate and asphyxiate all animals that come within the walls of the rock. When Mr. George and Mr. Everett entered the gulch the gaseous fumes were so oppressive that

they had difficulty In breathing, yet they entered at the end where the gulch is practically open. They lit a wax taper and found that when placed more than forty Inches from the ground it was extinguished. This proved tho existence of carbon dioxide gas.

The bed of the gulch and ravine was littered with the bones and skins of animals long since dead. They found twentythree carcasses of bears, one big cinnamon having his nose between his paws just as if he had fallen asleep.

The two men didn't dare to go Into the ravine. What exploration they made resulted In headaches which stayed with them for hours and pains in the throat and lungs, which did not subside for a long time.

For ages this death trap in the Rocky Mountains has probably been luring the inhabitants of the forest to their doom. With the rains of spring the bones of the dead of the preceding year are carried down to tho creek and the gulch cleared for the death harvest of the summer and the winter.

What Impressed the visitors most outside of tho horror of the gulch was the danger to visitors who might unconsciously enter the gulch. There was no difference In the appearance of the gulch from other gulches above and below the mountains, and there was nothing to warn a camper. For man to enter death gulch to camp means that he has camped In eternity.

The geologists say, that the lavas which fill the ancient basin of the park at this place rests upon the flanks of mountains formed of fragmentary volcanic ejecta. Gaseous emanations are given out In great volume. They come, the scientists say, from deposits of altered and crystalline travertine mixes with pools In the creek. Above those deposits the creek cuts into a bank of sulphur. In the bottom of the gully is a small stream sour with sulphuric acid. No wonder the poor animals seeking shelter In the gulch meet death there.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post! Thanks!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We visited Yellowstone a few years ago, but I hadn’t heard of this.
Extremely interesting. I’ve heard of poisonous gases expelled from volcanoes, and remember Army and various job training that many dangerous gases are heavier than air, and naturally go to the lowest spot. (I.E. trenches or pits)
Guess the Grizzly and his buddies never got the word! grin
Interesting post. Thanks for passing it along.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Great post! I’ve never heard of this!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once read about a group that camped near a vent and gases emitted killed them in their sleep. Bad news.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks for posting. Nice to read intelligent reporting, not the "gotcha" crap passed along as journaism so prevalent today.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
probably carbon dioxide. has done in a few folks around Mammoth. ( collecting on low spots in the winter)

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting reading,
Thanks for posting this Timbermaster....... cool smile.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I used to read a bit of Louis L'Amour. About forty-fifty years ago. I fail to remember, at this time, which stories were contained in which novels.

I do remember "Death Gulch" being described in vivid detail in one of those books. The story also described the Native American myths surrounding the area.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We need to get a free fried chicken sign down there!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I worked in Yellowstone for 2 years Old Faithful area most of the below-ground vaults had H2S Hydrogen Sulfide, very deadly, had to ventilate before entering. Geothermal warming caused a lot of issues in the potable water system, couple of hydrants would produce steam before water, PRV , Pressure regulator diaphragms would cook.

It was pretty interesting living and working there esp. in the winter.

During the big fires, the low areas with sulfur and arsenic in the boardwalks and other toxic fumes caused issues.

Last edited by kk alaska; 05/31/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I took my family there several years ago we hired a private guide to take us around and show us the sights. The guy was full of information of events that had taken place in different areas and kept us on the edge of our seats for the whole tour. According to him, Yellowstone is a very easy place to die a painful death, or just slip away without a sound...

Harry
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
H2S would be my guess too.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.