Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think I mentioned "operator" error?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Pappy 348, I hear you, the notion of "qualifying" through another government entity....not my best thought or finest moment. I guess there is no substitute for hunting ethic learned at our father's side.

Hey, we're just brainstorming here. Mighta seemed like a good idea at the time.

I am a bit disappointed that no one picked up on my Winnie The Pooh reference, "Deer, like Tigger, like to bounce..

Musta watched that movie a hundred times while my kids were growing up. Tigger's voice by Paul Winchell, the puppet guy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I think I mentioned "operator" error?

That would be the problem 99.9% of the time.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Filaman
Some people over estimate any cartridges ability. "If it goes bang, dead deer!" Until bambi runs off. Then they can't believe it.
It's usually the other way around. Guy whacks a few deer with a .30-06 and sees them run 50 yards before they fall. He reasons that if they run 50 yards after taking one through the lungs from a .30-06 they'll go at least twice as far with a .243. Nothing could be further from the truth.

This many times over

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I absolutely love my 2x 243 but a pure lung shot without an exit on a very large aware deer can cause longer runs and very occasionally (like once in a lifetime) you can get a freak failure to die.

Dear 100yds reaching up to a tree branch. Good rest, sierra 85gr bthp @ 3,200fps. Perfect shot, great reaction. Leave alone climb into stand for 75 minutes. End of legal light go find deer. Bedded and still alive. It gets up and runs. Leave overnight, come first thing - dead. Perfect double lung, not a huge amount of lung damage and holes in ribcage sealed by skin when buck resumed normal position from having been reaching up.

I know of one other similar occurrence with same bullet and stretching buck (deer not found this time). It's my opinion that the ballistic tip works better.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OttoG
I absolutely love my 2x 243 but a pure lung shot without an exit on a very large aware deer can cause longer runs and very occasionally (like once in a lifetime) you can get a freak failure to die.

Dear 100yds reaching up to a tree branch. Good rest, sierra 85gr bthp @ 3,200fps. Perfect shot, great reaction. Leave alone climb into stand for 75 minutes. End of legal light go find deer. Bedded and still alive. It gets up and runs. Leave overnight, come first thing - dead. Perfect double lung, not a huge amount of lung damage and holes in ribcage sealed by skin when buck resumed normal position from having been reaching up.

I know of one other similar occurrence with same bullet and stretching buck (deer not found this time). It's my opinion that the ballistic tip works better.

The BTHP Sierra is too tough for my liking. Never seen a DRT in about 10 Missouri whitetails.

If you want an 85 grain bullet go to the SP Sierra Varminter. Will give golf ball sized exits and deer usually drop where they were standing when you pulled the trigger.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I really don't understand the rush to the bottom in rifle calibers. It seems like hunters are trying to see how little they can get by with. Sort of like bragging about how small of a knife blade they can skin an elk with and so forth. I get the aversion to excessive recoil, especially the older I get, but there seems to more to it than that. Has killing a deer, an elk, or an antelope become so routine than guys need to do something different to keep the hunt interesting or to prove one's prowess? Genuinely curious.

I can't say that, in my case, it was a rush to the bottom. The first deer I killed with a rifle was with a .222 because that's the rifle I had at the time and it worked very well. The next one was with a .22 WRM. It worked too, but I don't use a RF any more. I do, however, use .223 a lot, probably more than any other cartridge these days. That said, I use a lot of other cartridges. They're all the same. We make way too much of all this.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have no dog in this race not have I ever even hunted with a 243 much less shot deer with it. About 30 years ago my brother began hunting with one. After losing a few deer he wanted something that hit harder. He moved up to the 270 and his days of losing deer were over . My Father wanted the 243 and began hunting with it the next Fall.
. His experience was very similar to my brother's. I had been loading for my brother and continued to do so for Dad. Because my shooting and handloading mentor liked Speer bullets it's what I loaded. I used their BTSP 100gr bullet that was supposed to be leaving the muzzle at just under 3000fps. After Dad lost one particular buck he was getting discouraged with the 243 so I told him let's change bullets. I loaded 100gr Nosler Partitions for the next few seasons and Dad never lost another deer! In fact his largest buck, 260lb on the hoof, fell to that load. But there was already rooted doubt because of their experiences. He sold the 243, moved up to the 270 and hasn't lost any with it. Dad will turn 85 later this month and his hunting days are now behind him. Just over a year ago they found he has liver cancer and it's been a long downhill slope for him since then. We're it not for the cancer I'm confident that he would be looking forward to this Fall /Winter and the long Louisiana deer season that he loves. As is so often said, "YMMV."

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife and I have hunted deer here in Mid-MO for the past 20 years using mainly 7-08 or 284 win. The past 3 years I've taken 3 mature bucks using a 243 win shooting either 100 gr Partitions or 95 gr BTs, all from 100-150 yds. Can't tell the difference in how the deer reacts or in how far it runs. None of them ran over 40 yds. All died very quickly. Not a definitive sample size, but I have full confidence in the cartridge for the 180-220 lb bucks around here-. Sorry to hear about your dad's ailment, and I really like the quote in your sig line. God bless.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by chamois
Gamekings and Balistic Tips are my favourites but I don`t shoot any hyper velocity magnum cartridges.

Bullet failures:

120gr 7mm V-Max that hit the shoulder blade of a quartering on roe deer, changed course and slid under the skin, stopping when it reached the on side ham

100gr 6mm Pro Hunter, same case as above on a very large red deer

120gr 6,5 TTSX that zipped through the lungs of another roe deer

107gr 6mm Matchking, same case as above

187gr 8mm that made a grenade like wound upon hitting the humerus of a roe deer

All deer were retrieved and butchered. Some were finished off with a second shot, some were found with the help of my Bavarian Mountain Blood Hound.

The use of a tracking dog is quite popular in Europe but you don't seem to use them in America... aren't they allowed or what? Apart from being a great companion when I spend time a field alone, in the cabin or when driving to and from my hunting lease, it can provide an unvalualbe help to track a wounded deer, or finding a dead oneshot at last light, for example.

Here is Mauser, with a nice buck I shot at the edge of a young oak tree forest. Hit in the lungs, it jumped in the air and was on a dead runf for 200 yds. An easy job for Mauser!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Beautiful buck!!! Man I want to hunt Roe Deer they are number 1 on my wish list!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What a great-looking dog!

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by LBP
If you can’t kill deer with a .243 I doubt the cartridge is the problem.

I'm with you on this Blackheart. i killed a slew of 'em with my ol' 6mm Remington, the ballistic twin of the .243. But lost a few too. But after losing three or four I learned through my experiences with the 6mm AND my .270 that all bullets are not created equal.

I hear a lot of talk about people using Partitions on deer. This must be on deer much bigger than our Texas Whitetail. The only failures I've seen on these Texas deer with either the 6mm or the .270 were with bullets I believe to be too tough to expand fast on a relatively small bodied deer. These were both Speer bullets and I know from results on deer I did kill with them that they are tough bullets that don't expand well on smaller game. That's why I quit using them on deer. I can only imagine what a Partition would do on one. It would no doubt make a complete pass through with little expansion and not do a lot of immediately lethal damage as my youngest son has told me. He's the guy that has to pee on the electric fence to learn. He was always trying some expensive bullet on deer.

I came to what I believe is the rightful conclusion that Nosler Ballistics Tips (the newer and improved ones) and Sierra Game Kings will kill deer pretty much immediately if properly hit out of just about any cartridge. Note that I said DEER(Texas deer) not elk. And yeah, if you hit a shoulder or a ham with one you're going to lose some meat. If they're relatively close, like within 50 yards I like to shoot them in the neck or head, but if they're farther than that I like rib shots right behind the front shoulder. This I find to be more immediately fatal and is a very soft area to penetrate. Shooting them in the neck or head isn't as easy as it sounds. You have to aim for a specific place or you could just horrifically wound an animal but not put it down. That's why I don't take a neck or head shot if much over 50 yards.

Somebody on here has a sig line that says that if you want to put a deer down quick shoot it in the ear hole. This is precisely true in my experience because you need to take out his brain. When shooting in the neck shoot mid neck to high neck where the spine lays. That's what you have to hit to put a deer down immediately. Otherwise you might just take out his wind pipe which won't kill him maybe for days. He'll be 2 zip codes over before he dies. If you shoot at the head and hit the jowl or lower jaw, it's the same with hitting the wind piple. He'll just run off and die a nasty lingering death. A person needs to develope a little precision in his/her shooting.

I found the .243( Also 6mm Rem.) and the .270 about equally capable of downing deer. If you think through each shot and shoot for a lethal area you will have a lot better results over all.

BTW, I don't mean to talk like some numb nuts school teacher, I'm just typing as I think.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/06/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I hear a lot of talk about people using Partitions from a .243. This must be on deer much bigger than our Texas Whitetail. The only failures I've seen on these deer with either the 6mm or the .270 were with bullets I believe to be too tough to expand fast on a relatively small bodied deer. These were both Speer bullets and I know from results on deer I did kill with them that they are tough bullets that don't expand well on smaller game. I can only imagine what a Partition would do on one. It would no doubt make a complete pass through (as my youngest son has told me they will do (He's the guy that has to pee on the electric fence to learn.) with little expansion and not do a lot of immediately lethal damage.

I don't believe you understand the Partition. The front half is deliberately made soft for quick expansion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup.

Even the 160gr .270, my personal idea of a good elk and moose bullet, produces significant carnage in ordinary whitetails, before making a nice exit hole for easy trailing, which so far has been totally unnecessary.

A very nice VA buck shot by my son with the 100gr .243 did manage to go about 50 yards, the farthest of about eight killed with NPs so far by my crew, all with good shot placement though.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mathman

I hear a lot of talk about people using Partitions from a .243. This must be on deer much bigger than our Texas Whitetail. The only failures I've seen on these deer with either the 6mm or the .270 were with bullets I believe to be too tough to expand fast on a relatively small bodied deer. These were both Speer bullets and I know from results on deer I did kill with them that they are tough bullets that don't expand well on smaller game. I can only imagine what a Partition would do on one. It would no doubt make a complete pass through (as my youngest son has told me they will do (He's the guy that has to pee on the electric fence to learn.) with little expansion and not do a lot of immediately lethal damage.

I don't believe you understand the Partition. The front half is deliberately made soft for quick expansion.

No I wasn't aware of that. I've never used them. I just took it from experience not to use a real tough bullet. Now you've got me curious. I may give them a whirl. I've heard they were the best elk and large game bullets. In fact I always said that if I got to go on an elk hunt I'd try them. That was before I acquired a couple of magnums. In fact whatever I take if I ever go elk hunting it will be stoked with Partitions. I have grown to trust them listening to people i trusted talk about them. Now you have me wanting to try them on deer. I always just figured they were an elk bullet.

Somehow living in Texas all my life with a chronic shortage of elk, I missed that in my edumacational process.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/06/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I really don't understand the rush to the bottom in rifle calibers. It seems like hunters are trying to see how little they can get by with. Sort of like bragging about how small of a knife blade they can skin an elk with and so forth. I get the aversion to excessive recoil, especially the older I get, but there seems to more to it than that. Has killing a deer, an elk, or an antelope become so routine than guys need to do something different to keep the hunt interesting or to prove one's prowess? Genuinely curious.

My thoughts exactly. Over the years the wisdom I've gathered here is that the 243 is a magic death ray, but the .30-'06 need a partition to kill a deer.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
At this point it should be clear to everybody that it can be done, and that it can be done efficiently.

I thing choosing a smallish caliber induces careful stalking and careful shooting.

Such an approach seems to lay any haste aside while hunting, and I think there is something neat about the concept.

Last edited by chamois; 06/15/20. Reason: spelling
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm in my 6o's with severe neck and shoulder arthritis and made the switch to a .243 about twenty years ago. It was one of the best decisions
I ever made. I've used quite a number of different cartridges in the 95 and 100 grain category, and I learned a lot from a hunting friend
who also used a .243. Here's what I learned. #1 Stay away from anything under 95 grains. #2 Stay away from hollow points (yes they
do massive damage in the soft area of the lungs but will blow up on bone and a trackin' you will go) #3 Stick to bonded or monolithic bullets
designed to hold together, e.g., Partitions, Fusions, Interlocks, etc. (good crop to choose from). If you don't trust me, then trust Warren
Page, longtime hunter and outdoor writer(Field & Stream) who regularly took elk with a .243 using a Nosler Partition. This bullet will easily break bone
and you don't have to worry about shoulder shots. It's the winning ticket for me, and, yes, you can use it on quartering shots. It drops
deer like they're falling through a trap door. I'm always amazed by guys who say the .243 isn't a good deer rifle. Byron Dalrymble,
another famous hunter/writer/editor (Outdoor Life) used a .243 took take hundreds of deer and wrote books about it that most of the
guys on this forum, apparently, have never read.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

#1 - stay away from anything under 95grs

The 80 GMX, 80 TTSX and 85 TSX are serious bullets under 95grs.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yeah, there's some relatively new stuff out there under 95 that I hear is good, like what you mention. I guess I'm
just an old stick in the mud with my principal on biggest amount of lead I can throw at 'em with a .243. Another
100 grain to look at (haven't used it) is the Norma Oryx. Guys have used it to take deer sized animals and larger
in Africa with the .243. Appears to have similar properties to Nosler Partition. Both are currently hard to find now.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.