Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For a bit of non-riot/non-Covid/non-political news:
A ski boat sank in the river here yesterday as it was coming into a dock and it's wake broke over it. There were 17 people aboard. All made it safely to shore before help arrived but the boat's on the bottom of the river. I don't know the capacity of a boat like that but apparently 17 along with a half dozen beer coolers is an overload. He probably dropped off plane too fast and the stern was riding too low. I'll bet the boat owner is crying this morning and he's blocking a popular dock at a local marina. At least no one got hurt.

HAGERMAN — Seventeen people safely escaped a boat that sank Saturday evening on the Snake River.

The operator of a 22-foot Centurion ski boat was coming toward the docks at Thousand Springs Resort at about 5:45 p.m. when the wake came up over the boat and all 17 people on board landed in the water, according to a statement from Twin Falls County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lori Stewart.

The incident was reported by a Thousand Springs employee and deputies responded.

All 17 people were safe on shore by the time first responders arrived, Stewart said. The boat sunk and is at the bottom of the river.

Twin Falls deputies and search and rescue will be joined by the Cassia County Search and Rescue dive team Sunday in attempting to retrieve the boat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Starving people from Youtopian Cuba or Texans?

Mexicans could easily pack 22 on a 22 foot boat.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/31/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Centurion is a wake boat. I'd imagine its rated at 12 or so. Lot of money sitting atvthe bottom of the river there. Most of those boats new start at 80 grand.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nope. Just beer drinkers on a hot Saturday afternoon. We all know them and/or have been them.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Nope. Just beer drinkers on a hot Saturday afternoon. We all know them and/or have been them.

Not me. Boats are for fishing. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Centurion is a wake boat. I'd imagine its rated at 12 or so. Lot of money sitting atvthe bottom of the river there. Most of those boats new start at 80 grand.

I had to look that up. I wasn't aware that they add water for ballast to make a bigger wake. I know they can raise havoc for canoers and fishermen.

― George Orwell

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

I had to look that up. I wasn't aware that they add water for ballast to make a bigger wake. I know they can raise havoc for canoers and fishermen.

I looked it up and they make a 22' that is anywhere from $115-150k. Someone had a bad day. I used to have an old Malibu skier that was made for slalom that we would add ballast to. One day a Wakesetter full of ballast came by and damn near caused us to take water over the closed bow. I'd schit my pants launching from that 3'solid wall of water. Some HS kid that had to be semi-pro was throwing down all kinds of sick tricks...kid was awesome.

For me, if you can't hunt or fish out of it I don't want any part of it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My fishing boat is a 14' PortaBote with a 10hp motor. It's pretty buoyant but those big waves give it a pretty good toss. If I see them coming, I turn into them but once in a while a big wake from across the river catches me off guard.

― George Orwell

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Mine is 20’

Rated for 9 people

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My fishing boat is a 14' PortaBote with a 10hp motor. It's pretty buoyant but those big waves give it a pretty good toss. If I see them coming, I turn into them but once in a while a big wake from across the river catches me off guard.

I have a Maycraft 1800 with 115 yamaha. We fish and hunt the local lakes and the sounds of coastal NC. At times you can't have a big enough boat for the sound. Some folks take these boats 60 miles offshore but no way would I ever attempt that even going out with another boat. A man has to know his limitations. There are charter boats there for a reason. If I lived closer I would have a 24' deep vee of some sort I could take offshore on good days for mahi, cobia, kings, etc.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They’ve all got a sticker saying how many people and the weight they're rated for on them. I’ve got a 20’ deep V offshore boat that’s rated for 8 people or 1200#. Note that’s only 150# a person which means you’ll probably max out the weight with 5 normal Americans and a cooler.

A 22’ boat with 17 drunks on board? It was probably overloaded by at least 200-300%.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They was trying to get away from coloreds

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I thought level flotation was mandatory on modern boats—on my 14ft skiffs and my 17ft Crestliner you could pump them full of water and they will still keep the power head out of water.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
enough to sink it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Several years ago, they outlawed the use of such boats on Lake Lowell. They tried to outlaw all motorized craft on the reservoir, as the wakes disturb waterfowl along the perimeter of the lake.

Locals consider these to be ridiculous regulations for a man made reservoir created to store irrigation water.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Boating 101-

This ain't Dunkirk.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a bit of non-riot/non-Covid/non-political news:
A ski boat sank in the river here yesterday as it was coming into a dock and it's wake broke over it. There were 17 people aboard. All made it safely to shore before help arrived but the boat's on the bottom of the river. I don't know the capacity of a boat like that but apparently 17 along with a half dozen beer coolers is an overload. He probably dropped off plane too fast and the stern was riding too low. I'll bet the boat owner is crying this morning and he's blocking a popular dock at a local marina. At least no one got hurt.

HAGERMAN — Seventeen people safely escaped a boat that sank Saturday evening on the Snake River.

The operator of a 22-foot Centurion ski boat was coming toward the docks at Thousand Springs Resort at about 5:45 p.m. when the wake came up over the boat and all 17 people on board landed in the water, according to a statement from Twin Falls County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lori Stewart.

The incident was reported by a Thousand Springs employee and deputies responded.

All 17 people were safe on shore by the time first responders arrived, Stewart said. The boat sunk and is at the bottom of the river.

Twin Falls deputies and search and rescue will be joined by the Cassia County Search and Rescue dive team Sunday in attempting to retrieve the boat.

were they all 6 feet apart?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3 work friends were fishing in a 14" aluminum v bow last week.
A big dude in the bow. 400?
Skinny one in the middle. 140#
A 220# running the outboard.
Gear, beer....

Took a wake over the bow,
Skinny dude moved forward, to bail.
That pushed the bow under.
They went swimming, had to be rescued, lost a bunch of stuff.

Numerous mistakes, it was all ok, until it wasn't!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m glad the dummies were safe, none drowned!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m glad the dummies were safe, none drowned!!

Yeah, me too. Good thing none of them had been drinking or it might have turned out different. whistle

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (257Bob, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.