24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is something very satisfying about ejecting the fired case from my M77 Mk ll and having it fly six feet away instead of just dribbling out of the action like it does from my M700 push feed. I sure like that M77 three position wing safety too. Also the integral scope bases on the Ruger. Guess you know what I'd go with.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger 3 pos safety is nice but stiff and loud for a young hunter. JMHO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M77 Tanger was my first, still have it and will pass it on to my oldest son. He killed his first deer with that rifle at age 12. That would be my choice of your two in question.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
My son-in-law got his master's degree last December. I got him a Win M70 featherweight in .30-06. It looks amazing and is pretty darn accurate from what we have seen so far. I did have to do a lot of shopping around to find one at a decent price. Found the best deal at Bud's.

If you end up shopping for another, check tsswarehouse... they tend to have better prices on m70s than most.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Remington 700

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ABR

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Thoughts?

Either would be a nice gift. If he's old enough, I'd let him be involved with decision process. Go handle, shoulder, and inspect them together.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
of the two you mention-ruger. I do have a CZ that is more accurate than I could ever dreamed with factory ammo right out of the box.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say either one with a shipping label to the manufacturers repair facility will probably net a really nice gift.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not even close.....Ruger, all day, every day!!!

Much better rifle in my opinion. I own both.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 05/31/20.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CZ for the win , Howa for runner up

.... like tears in the rain
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I too would go for a Ruger Hawkeye over a current Rem 700.

I had an early tanger with iron sights that was pretty good. Sold it to a BIL who kept it til he passed. Grandkid has it. Little contact with them for several years and then bought a .223 Hawkeye All Weather UL. Except for an Ernies trigger spring it is stock. Very impressive rifle. Way more accurate than the tanger.

Next a blued 16" Gunsite Scout. Nice rifle but my best friend had to have it. I bought an 18.7" SS Gunsite Scout after that and still have it. Again a very impressive rifle. Way more accurate than the tanger.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

Uh-oh.

The loud safety theory.

Schit gonna get real.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI
ABR

Jorge,

Doesn't apply to the OP's question, but I am sorely tempted to try that 10 shot, DBM model they're making right now.

7.5lbs?

If it's reliable that could be a pretty cool auto.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Windfall
There is something very satisfying about ejecting the fired case from my M77 Mk ll and having it fly six feet away instead of just dribbling out of the action like it does from my M700 push feed. I sure like that M77 three position wing safety too. Also the integral scope bases on the Ruger. Guess you know what I'd go with.

77/22 and a 77 in .223...

Whoooo-doggy. Killing combo.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Thoughts?

Either would be a nice gift. If he's old enough, I'd let him be involved with decision process. Go handle, shoulder, and inspect them together.

This is the correct answer in my opinion. Let him handle them and see which feels best to him and how he likes the ergonomics of it. After all there is a good chance that he will have it for the rest of his life and the memories made during the decision will be as important as the rifle itself.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I if I were the recipient, I’d want the accurate one, Rem 700 hands down.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve4102
Accuracy of any and all Rugers Sucks at best.

Get a CZ

Mule Deer:
" I've owned a pile of 77's of all eras. While one barrel truly sucked (a 7x57 with a bore that had numerous loose spots, with the tight spots measuring .287), all the others shot anywhere from acceptably to very well. My acceptable rating is three shots in an inch for big game rifles, and five shots in an inch for varmint rifles, and very well is half that. Most of them required some work on the bedding and trigger, but then a lot of factory rifles do."

Boxer - Big Stick:
"I've Ruger familiarity and accept them for what they are. Light or bullet proof they are not, though curiously enough they are oft maligned by the masses for "accuracy" woe which I've yet to see, though of course I shoot a bit, which tend to tip numerous scales."
A general comment about the rifles I owned and owned by others is, some would show respectable accuracy from the get go, others it would take several rounds to show respectable accuracy, some liked a clean barrel, some shot best with a dirty barrel. But, you know, I have seen this behavior in other rifle makes and models, too.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

Is that like the dreaded mossberg pump shotgun forearm rattle???
Heard that might scare away game also.

Last edited by renegade50; 05/31/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Let's see, dozens of custom actions are based on the Ruger design, so they must be the best, er, wait.............

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.