Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Owner was embarrassed. He knew they were way heavy,
And the risk from the big, rip-and-tear boats. Was trying to stay,
away, but went to that part of lake because he knew they would
catch fish. Had a five gallon bucket almost full, lost them too.

Fun to ride them. I have done worse, just never owned a boat!

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/31/20.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I hope the boat owner was driving. I'd sure hate to sink my buddy's boat...or have him sink mine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In my senior year of high school a couple of good friends worked all summer, (awful hours) to raise money to buy a boat. First outing, one was sitting on the side railing steering the boat as his bud was water skiing behind. Big wave and boat driver get's tossed out of the boat. His buddy is skiing behind an empty boat going in circles full speed. He finally let's go of the ski rope and the boat continues to circle until it crashes into the rock dam which took the whole bottom of the boat off. Completely destroying a summer of work and their uninsured boat & motor. Luckily both made it to shore.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
it depends on the wake boat. I for one think wake boats are stupid. all they do is offer, wake boarding, surfing and skiing. you have to be nazi about not ripping the props out the bottom. they are difficult to pull up to a beach. i think its one of those look cool on the lake kind of things. but they sure are popular around here. I for one need to have an outdrive that can be trimmed. some of those wake boats, in particular the older ones ride very low in the water. Most of the new ones have higher sides, but some of the old ones if you got too many people in the bow, a small wake could easily come over the bow and if the boat is underway it could easily turn the boat into a submarine for a short period of time.

the trimmed outdrive allows you to trim the bow up and handle wakes, inclement weather and waves with relative ease. it also allows pulling on on a beach, etc. I scratch my head on why people have to have wake boats. If you are buying a new boat in my area, the wake boat style probably sells 4:1 more boats. oh one other thing, they aint fast either. about 38 mph is about all you get. oh another negative I forgot they aren't easy to manuever around the dock of on a trailer. kinda hard to reverse the things with much accuracy. a 22 foot boat is a large boat. 10 people is probably more than plenty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I thought level flotation was mandatory on modern boats—on my 14ft skiffs and my 17ft Crestliner you could pump them full of water and they will still keep the power head out of water.

I think that level flotation only applies to boats under 20 feet long.

Harry
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guy didn't sink, it flipped, and still floated.

And yes, the owner was in complete control.

If the bigger guy was in the rear, they might have been ok.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know my 24' jet boat can take some serious weight, but not sure I'd want that much in weather.

I was in a storm on lake Roosevelt that wiped out a marina with 60 mph winds and it was the first time I've ever fired all bilge pumps and told everyone to jacket up and hold on without any moving water.

We were breaking over the hardtop and riding 10'er on the way to find a wind break.

Blew a damn nice net out of my rod rack on top.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We had some wind yesterday but that's not what sank the boat. They were just overloaded and when he dropped off of plane, the wake overran them and filled it with water. Since no one got hurt, it would have been fun to watch.

― George Orwell

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Centurion is a wake boat. I'd imagine its rated at 12 or so. Lot of money sitting atvthe bottom of the river there. Most of those boats new start at 80 grand.

I had to look that up. I wasn't aware that they add water for ballast to make a bigger wake. I know they can raise havoc for canoers and fishermen.

The primary wake dissipates quickly.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Centurion is a wake boat. I'd imagine its rated at 12 or so. Lot of money sitting atvthe bottom of the river there. Most of those boats new start at 80 grand.

If his ballast tanks had water in them he was even more over weight than was evident based on people and gear.

I’m looking at my 21’ chapparral now. The safety badge says 10 people / 1400 lbs. it does not have ballast tanks

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boat that expensive probably had insurance. Might be interesting to see his renewal rate after this.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We had some wind yesterday but that's not what sank the boat. They were just overloaded and when he dropped off of plane, the wake overran them and filled it with water. Since no one got hurt, it would have been fun to watch.

That's the driver's fault.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
100%

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

609 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,399
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.