Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by KenMi
Yes, you can ship an item to yourself from one residence to another. He can be the shipper and receiver.

Pretty hard to ship from yourself when you are in another state...

Really?

Yes.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Have your brother if he doesn't already have one set up an online account with USPS or UPS, FedEx or whoever. Set up the shipping with his name at both ends, copy shipping label to PDF file, send file to you. You copy shipping label, put on package, and answer door with package when they come to pick it up. Your brother sets up everything in his name to and from him. He sets up insurance, and he sets up pick-up date. Your brother is wholy responsible for it.

Phil

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
If asked by a postal employee if it is a firearm the correct answer is yes. Don't be a dumbass. They are entitled to inspect it to assure it meets the regulations, long gun, unloaded, no ammo.

Can he mail it without being there? I don't know. Interesting question. Pre-labled with his info and you are just dropping it off? I'd do it.

The correct answer is none of your fugging biz.They cannot open to check out what it is.They will ask if it is" liquid,flammable or batteries."Also you do not need to lie about what it is because if it is not one of the things they mentioned,you don`t have to tell them.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Have your brother if he doesn't already have one set up an online account with USPS or UPS, FedEx or whoever. Set up the shipping with his name at both ends, copy shipping label to PDF file, send file to you. You copy shipping label, put on package, and answer door with package when they come to pick it up. Your brother sets up everything in his name to and from him. He sets up insurance, and he sets up pick-up date. Your brother is wholy responsible for it.

Phil

This is great in theory, but you're one overzealous ass hole away from spending a schit ton in legal fees to avoid the use of an FFL.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Huntz
If asked by a postal employee if it is a firearm the correct answer is yes. Don't be a dumbass. They are entitled to inspect it to assure it meets the regulations, long gun, unloaded, no ammo.

Can he mail it without being there? I don't know. Interesting question. Pre-labled with his info and you are just dropping it off? I'd do it.

The correct answer is none of your fugging biz.They cannot open to check out what it is.They will ask if it is" liquid,flammable or batteries."Also you do not need to lie about what it is because if it is not one of the things they mentioned,you don`t have to tell them.

The post office doesn't ask what it is.

The UPS and FEDEX does.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Has nothing to do with an FFL one isn't needed.

Phil

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Has nothing to do with an FFL one isn't needed.

Phil

You're a dumb fugk regarding every other subject, I guess this one shouldn't be any different.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

This is for the mental Midget to read and digest.
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Are you sure about that?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Link

Phil

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

If you create the label on the USPS web site, you must check the certification checkbox that states that your shipment is in compliance with pertinent postal regs. Therefore, when you hand the package to the USPS clerk “for acceptance”, you need not discuss what’s in the package. If, on the other hand, you just tape an address label on the box and tell the clerk you want to purchase and ship Priority Mail, the clerk must ask you a series of questions to arrive at the same certification that YOU CAN DO WITH A STINKIN’ CHECKBOX ONLINE! So print label online, hand the box to the clerk, and say, “Just dropping off today, Could I have an acceptance receipt Please?”

Every Priority Mail shipment must have a “valid return address.” Personally, I’d use the Web site and fill in the brother’s address for both destination and return address, then select “shipping from a different zip code,” and enter the zip code of the sending post office. That may or may not work, but it’s worth a try.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave

Are you sure about that?

An FFL holder may ship handguns via USPS.

As for the USPS not asking about whether a firearm is being shipped, they generally don't. But ...

Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail

432 Mailability
432.1 General

Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:

a. The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

I've never had a USPS employee ask specifically what is in my package or if it was a firearm. Only the typical, is it hazardous yadi yadi spiel. If they asked what is in it, I like an answer someone once posted here on the subject: machined parts. And hope they wouldn't press further. Since I package rifles with a lot of care, I'd be more likely to walk out and find another PO to ship from than open the package for inspection, because getting it out and back in would be quite the hassle.

Another USPS link with more info:

DMM Revision: Mailing Firearms — Clarification

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I biught a rifle on gunbroker and the seller put it in a soft case so it was obvious what it was, put on stamps and sent it to my ffl. Big difference is a .375s value vs. a handi

This is not exactly pertinent except for trying to disguise ( not call attention)a long gun. Colorado allows transfer within family,

Can you mail a longgun to yourself so you do not have to carry it through canada in a car? I would.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by KenMi
Yes, you can ship an item to yourself from one residence to another. He can be the shipper and receiver.

Pretty hard to ship from yourself when you are in another state...

Really?

Yes.

I’d think these rules would hinge on a legal definition of shipper.

Is the shipper the person or entity who arranges for the shipment, or he who pays for shipping or he who is listed as the shipper on shipping documents?

Is the shipper simply the owner ?

Under the UCC the “shipper” is a person that enters into a contract of transportation with a carrier..

In the case of shipping a firearm without an FFL must the consignor also be the consignee, must the consignee also be the shipper, must the consignor be the consignee and the shipper?

According to the USPS is the mailer equivalent to shipper?

USPS:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

ATF:
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The post office doesn't ask what it is.

The UPS and FEDEX does.

FALSE

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
True on all accounts.

Just discussing here...

Where dipass huntz is incorrect is declaring that the USPS can not ask or inspect. He is not correct. That is actually a job function that they are tasked with, prohibiting unmailable items. They can inspect and they can determine if it's collectable baseball bat vs a firearm.

A firearm is restricted (or is the term regulated) , it is not classified as HAZARDOUS mail. Is it potentially hazardous? Phucqking yes, if it is loaded. There's nothing hard about compliance, it's easy and lawful. No reason to be a damned idiot about stuff.

In the OP's case, put the brother's info to and from, prelabled done deal. But, I wonder about, because he is no mailing it.

Any heartache will have to be addressed later. Cheers.

Originally Posted by mrchongo

If you create the label on the USPS web site, you must check the certification checkbox that states that your shipment is in compliance with pertinent postal regs. Therefore, when you hand the package to the USPS clerk “for acceptance”, you need not discuss what’s in the package. If, on the other hand, you just tape an address label on the box and tell the clerk you want to purchase and ship Priority Mail, the clerk must ask you a series of questions to arrive at the same certification that YOU CAN DO WITH A STINKIN’ CHECKBOX ONLINE! So print label online, hand the box to the clerk, and say, “Just dropping off today, Could I have an acceptance receipt Please?”

Every Priority Mail shipment must have a “valid return address.” Personally, I’d use the Web site and fill in the brother’s address for both destination and return address, then select “shipping from a different zip code,” and enter the zip code of the sending post office. That may or may not work, but it’s worth a try.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anyone who thinks that the USPS or a private carrier is not entitled to know what they are putting on their airplanes and trucks is a damned fool. Thank you.

Added, there's a whole bunch of other parts of the regulatory realm that deals with proper shipping, freight inspections, documentation etc... Your firearm is covered by all that chit too, not excluded.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 05/31/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Since he sent it to himself, and not you...it should be still packaged as he sent it. So wouldn’t a return to sender suffice and be legal?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

They certainly can ask what it is and can certainly have you open it to determine whether it meets the legal requirements for acceptance. As has been pointed out, you may declare it does in writing if they allow you the option. . Don't for a moment think postal inspectors cannot open anything. Gezus you are not well informed about this stuff.

Yah, tell them it's none of their phucqking business. LOL It is exactly their business. Chongo lay's it out plainly.

It's not an issue at our post office because they are well enough informed....

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
USPS 432.3 Rifles and Shotguns
[Revise items a. through g. to read as follows:]
a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
1. Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
2. Be sent by Priority Mail Express (with “signature required”) or Registered Mail.
3. Include Signature Confirmation service or insured mail service (for more than $500) requiring a signature at delivery.
b. A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner\u0027s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mail pieces must:
1. Be addressed to the owner.
2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
4. Be mailed using services described in 432.3a.
c. Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. These items must be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.
d. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.
e. Except as described in 432.2a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.
f. Firearms meeting the definition of a rifle or shotgun under 431.4 which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.
g. Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
[Add new 432.4 to read as follows:]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.