Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
...sounds like TX hill country, and you need a snake killin dog. Used to have a standard doxy that hunted snakes like they were soup bones. He got bit on occasion, but he got them without getting bit far more often. He had a few dealings with the vet, but he lived and built up immunity and would just swell up some then be fine. Killed a LOT of snakes.

If you live in rural Rattler country, cats are good to have around your house. That's why a lot of farmers and ranchers keep cats around.

When I was 11 or 12 we lived just outside of a small Texas coastal town. One day a big yellow tom cat followed me home from school. We fed him and he took up residence. We lived out on the salt grass prairie which is usually full of rattle snakes. Rats and rabbits love salt grass and the snakes love rats and rabbits. One morning as we were going out the side door leading to the car port, there on the porch was a 3 foot rattler dead. We didn't know how it got there, but there he was. Then a few days later there was another dead rattler on that same little porch. This occurred a few more times when we put two and two together and figured out it was our newly acquired cat that was killing these snakes and he would drag them up on the porch to show us he was earning his keep. Either that or he was just a trophy hunter. Anyway, we lived there a couple more years before we moved. That cat was a hell of a snaker. One day I was watching him in the lot next to the house. His head was moving side to side. Then he lurched forward and was fighting with something. Then it dawned on me he was charming a snake. Sure enough later that day another dead rattle snake appeared on our porch.
I've heard that a cat will kill a snake on occasion but more importantly, a cat will keep down the numbers of rodents - snake food. If they can't find food, the snakes will go to someone else's deli.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you're alone in the back country and get bitten by a poisonous snake like a rattler, it's important to remain calm, and to make sure you are very flexible. In fact, working on your flexibility will be essential before this event occurs. Otherwise, you'll never be able to bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Anywhere you go, whether on the ocean or backwoods, you should have a satellite emergency signaling device!

This is ESPECIALLY true if you are far from medical assistance and help.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got bit in 2004.

Left hand index finger because I was dickin around with a 2 foot rattler.

Very little pain from the bite but 2 solid punctures in the finger.

Squeezed a couple of drops from each puncture.

5 minutes in I could feel it on my tongue.

1 hour horse back ride back to truck and should have just had my buddy drive me to the hospital instead of calling ambulance because the ambulance can't do jack but will charge for the trip.

Got uncoordinated and a bit lightheaded so keep that in mind if driving yourself.

Some swelling in the left hand but nothing horrible or scary.

3 doses of Crofab Antivenom and I didn't want the 3rd as the swelling had started to go down.

Zero permanent damage to my hand.

If you get bit expect some neuro toxic effect that feels like being drunk so I would be careful driving but an ambulance or helicopter ride is nothing but more expense.

Crofab Antivenom is way better then the older horse antivenom but back then it was $6000 per dose and they wanted to give you 6 doses no matter how you were doing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
...sounds like TX hill country, and you need a snake killin dog. Used to have a standard doxy that hunted snakes like they were soup bones. He got bit on occasion, but he got them without getting bit far more often. He had a few dealings with the vet, but he lived and built up immunity and would just swell up some then be fine. Killed a LOT of snakes.

If you live in rural Rattler country, cats are good to have around your house. That's why a lot of farmers and ranchers keep cats around.

When I was 11 or 12 we lived just outside of a small Texas coastal town. One day a big yellow tom cat followed me home from school. We fed him and he took up residence. We lived out on the salt grass prairie which is usually full of rattle snakes. Rats and rabbits love salt grass and the snakes love rats and rabbits. One morning as we were going out the side door leading to the car port, there on the porch was a 3 foot rattler dead. We didn't know how it got there, but there he was. Then a few days later there was another dead rattler on that same little porch. This occurred a few more times when we put two and two together and figured out it was our newly acquired cat that was killing these snakes and he would drag them up on the porch to show us he was earning his keep. Either that or he was just a trophy hunter. Anyway, we lived there a couple more years before we moved. That cat was a hell of a snaker. One day I was watching him in the lot next to the house. His head was moving side to side. Then he lurched forward and was fighting with something. Then it dawned on me he was charming a snake. Sure enough later that day another dead rattle snake appeared on our porch.
I've heard that a cat will kill a snake on occasion but more importantly, a cat will keep down the numbers of rodents - snake food. If they can't find food, the snakes will go to someone else's deli.

Yep i guess city life didn't agree with him because within a year he diappeared. In Port Lavaca we lived within 200 yards of plowed fields (More snakes)He probably went feral and went to live in the fields. Anyway, we saw and killed snakes around that house in Seadrift until the day we moved. I guess there were more rats, rabbits, and snakes than one cat could handle by his self. Trying to kill all the rats and rabbits on the salt grass prairie would be akin to trying to bail out the Gulf of Mexico. Too much cover.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/18/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hope my luck keeps holding out as I hike the Appalachian Trail a lot did 12 miles a couple weeks ago and some places no cell service. I did step over a turtle last time out never seen it but the girl with me did.
Use to see lot of rattlers when I was in the Marine Corp in CA but they seemed more afraid of me than me of them.
I guess I need to start wearing my hunting gaters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
Wife and did a good hike yesterday and I stepped on a snake about 6-7 miles from the truck. Turned out it was a garter snake but 2 years ago I stepped on a copperhead. Snakes dont bother me at all but I did get to wondering what I would do if bitten a long way from the truck. Yesterday I was a long way and about 3000 vertical feet below the truck. Normally I'd think just head to the truck but climbing that much over that distance gives the venom a pretty good running head start in your system. We run into half dozen copperheads and 2-3 rattlers every year.

What the heck is the best course of action when you are a long ways away or have a strenuous climb? Stay put and call someone or head to the truck?

The one that I carry is made by Sawyer company and is called the extractor.
I used to help run a camp and it worked on many bee stings. We didn't have an emergency after I included one with each counselor.
No cuts are to be made except with a safety razor to remove hair to acquire a better suction.

As many poisonous snakes that I've worked with, I've not yet been bitten. However, it's sold for that purpose.
After wasp stings, I often see the clear venom come to the surface. I then wipe it off with an alcohol pad.
It makes a night and day difference.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/23/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John Burns,

Thank you for your description.
Did you get an ID on which variety of rattler?

What did the antivenin cost you and the insurance total?
I pay cash and don't carry insurance. Hospitals refuse to give costs of anything prior to.treatment, so it could be free or a million $ and your not told until billing sends the bill. The ambulance can run a couple thousand.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/23/20.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by bwinters
Wife and did a good hike yesterday and I stepped on a snake about 6-7 miles from the truck. Turned out it was a garter snake but 2 years ago I stepped on a copperhead. Snakes dont bother me at all but I did get to wondering what I would do if bitten a long way from the truck. Yesterday I was a long way and about 3000 vertical feet below the truck. Normally I'd think just head to the truck but climbing that much over that distance gives the venom a pretty good running head start in your system. We run into half dozen copperheads and 2-3 rattlers every year.

What the heck is the best course of action when you are a long ways away or have a strenuous climb? Stay put and call someone or head to the truck?

The one that I carry is made by Sawyer company and is called the extractor.
I used to help run a camp and it worked on many bee stings. We didn't have an emergency after I included one with each counselor.
No cuts are to be made except with a safety razor to remove hair to acquire a better suction.

As many poisonous snakes that I've worked with, I've not yet been bitten. However, it's sold for that purpose.
After wasp stings, I often see the clear venom come to the surface. I then wipe it off with an alcohol pad.
It makes a night and day difference.

Happy guy, you give a lot of bad advice about many things and this is just another example. Google Ascelpius Snakebite Foundation and inform yourself on the topic and current approved treatments. They have a good section on snakebite kits and the Sawyer Extractor system is highlighted as one of the worst.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
And now you know why I live and hunt in Maine.... no poisonous snakes.

I remember reading a story about a guy bass fishing somewhere in southern USA. He caught a largemouth bass and reeled it to his boat. He reached over to pick the bass up by the lip, and got bit by a water mocassion ... that was INSIDE the bass. It was about pencil sized. The fisherman's arm swelled up. I think he got to the hospital by himself or by a buddy driving. ( don't remember). Just struck me as another way to be surprised by nature.

Serious question. Would taking an anti-histamine / Benadryl be of any value in a post-snake bite scenario to keep swelling down? Steroids ( like an inhaler)? for anti-inflammatory issues??

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.