Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always good to read the "secret" public spots of PD shooters--which won't be secret anymore now that they've been described so precisely described on the Internet.

One thing I learned long ago about any kind of public hunting is not to tell anybody about it--even some "friends."

I thought we were all supposed to be friends here. Lol.

I've been taking people fishing to my spots for years. That's what you do as a sportsman, bringing people to a sport.

Surprised at this statement coming from you.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One big reason I do my varmint shooting solo....I've found some good spots and sure not going to let anyone else ruin them.....I have too much time and effort invested.

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bowfisher
One big reason I do my varmint shooting solo....I've found some good spots and sure not going to let anyone else ruin them.....I have too much time and effort invested.

that's smart. Too many then bring friends and so on and ruin areas

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Try Ft. Belknap reservation.

They used to sell a license and give you a map to the dog towns.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Anyway....if you get tired of all the pomp and circumstance of prairie dog hunting......shooting gophers is way more fun and people welcome your efforts.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Try Ft. Belknap reservation.

They used to sell a license and give you a map to the dog towns.

I bird hunted and shot some dogs there a few years ago. And a chance to visit the lovely metropolis of Havre

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I started shooting PDs in a big way in about 1990. Went to South Dakota couple times a year. It was free and often if we were shooting close to a road, a farmer would stop and “ask” us to come shoot at his place. Those days are long gone. I pay to shoot these days. And I go to a place where the shooting is very good I wish it was free but it’s not and I enjoy it enough to keep paying.
Oh, and it’s west of the Mississippi.

NRA Patron
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pbgunrunner
Bob's place?

Yeah.

Everybody knows that if you want great p-dog shooting, you just call Bob.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I did a shoot around Chamberlain SD. If I remember right, it was on Native American land, so only needed their license and they provided a map of known dog towns. That was over 10 years ago.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I wish I did, looks like fun!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Always good to read the "secret" public spots of PD shooters--which won't be secret anymore now that they've been described so precisely described on the Internet.

One thing I learned long ago about any kind of public hunting is not to tell anybody about it--even some "friends."

I've been taking people fishing to my spots for years. That's what you do as a sportsman, bringing people to a sport.

There are 574 registered members online right now and 2000 unregistered viewers. This thread will be on the internet forever. How many people do you think will find it in a google search of 'where to go prairie dog hunting for free'? This thread will be a hit on a search engine in 10 years and beyond. How many people are going to go to that exact area given above due to that one response? If you don't think it happens that way, you're mistaken.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Since my thread has been blown up with stuff not pertaining to my original post (along w some good advice that I'm looking into) I thought I'd take a moment to reiterate....I'm NOT looking for anyone's honey hole, and I'm NOT looking for a free ride. Im just looking for an option that's less expensive than the $300 per day per hunter guided shoots so I can take my Dad out. I'm willing to pay for access....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Fishin' Holes are exponentially different than public-land hunting spots.

I can't remember anymore, on the way to Bob's place there's a cow in the corner of the fence where you have to turn, but, is that before or after the burned down windmill?

I thought I'd take a moment to reiterate....I'm NOT looking for anyone's honey hole, and I'm NOT looking for a free ride.

Figure out how far you wanna drive, then hop on the horn with whatever state's Game and Fish applies to that locale. That's how people who aren't looking for honey-holes or free-rides would go about this.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About the only ground squirrels around here are in town. Still have some Rock Chucks though.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1

I can't remember anymore, on the way to Bob's place there's a cow in the corner of the fence where you have to turn, but, is that before or after the burned down windmill?

I thought I'd take a moment to reiterate....I'm NOT looking for anyone's honey hole, and I'm NOT looking for a free ride.

Figure out how far you wanna drive, then hop on the horn with whatever state's Game and Fish applies to that locale. That's how people who aren't looking for honey-holes or free-rides would go about this.

No.. they're not. And, in the case of the "fishing hole", which may be GPS numbers, you're actually putting food on someone's table. Not just killing some pesky rodent for the fun of it.

Not that it matters to this discussion. But, I've been giving away most of the fish I caught for years.

As a matter of fact, Thought it was pretty cool Roger was giving the snapper he caught the other day to his Dad to give to friends.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

No.. they're not. And, in the case of the "fishing hole", which may be GPS numbers, you're actually putting food on someone's table. Not just killing some pesky rodent for the fun of it.

Not that it matters to this discussion. But, I've been giving away most of the fish I caught for years.

As a matter of fact, Thought it was pretty cool Roger was giving the snapper he caught the other day to his Dad to give to friends.

I can put my boat on any lake or river and catch some sort of fish without any prior knowledge of that body of water.

The likelyhood that I could drive to say UT where I've never been anywhere except SLC and up to Park City, and just drive around and find prairie-dogs to shoot is far lower than catching a fish on a new body of water.

I'll give complete strangers GPS coordinates for a fishing spot. I have friends, good friends, that I won't take hunting in certain spots and I'm sure as heck not putting any hunting spots on the 'net.

Last edited by horse1; 06/01/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I can put my boat on any lake or river and catch some sort of fish without any prior knowledge of that body of water.

The likelyhood that I could drive to say UT where I've never been anywhere except SLC and up to Park City, and just drive around and find prairie-dogs to shoot is far lower than catching a fish on a new body of water.

I'll give complete strangers GPS coordinates for a fishing spot. I have friends, good friends, that I won't take hunting in certain spots and I'm sure as heck not putting any hunting spots on the 'net.

You western boys think dogs are gold. Guess that's how it is out there. Lol.

And your fishing holes are apparently just holes. Ain't like that here.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by driggy
I did a shoot around Chamberlain SD. If I remember right, it was on Native American land, so only needed their license and they provided a map of known dog towns. That was over 10 years ago.

Well, things have changed.
Indian guides are required, and the they ain’t free, and the license cost is a lot higher.
Hunted the Rosebud reservation many times in the 90s. It was great shooting then, cheap license and no guides needed.

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.