Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
I have a theory that if you could maintain good job opportunities near any ghetto or slum you would see criminal activity diminish.

This has been proven with even the filthiest of races such as Greeks, Italians, Irish, and Cubans.

Black Americans do have one convincing piece of the “we are different” argument however. Segregation continued for a long, long time in the southern portion of the US.

I did a pretty large job renovating govt housing a few years back. The head of the housing authority had this theory that if you gave the deadbeats something nice they'd be more apt to take care of it. We put the best of everything in those units. The first one we did, 6 weeks later we came back. They'd kicked out the new tenants, and they'd destroyed the place. Pitbull dug holes through new flooring, doors ripped off high-end cabinets, light fixtures pulled out of the ceiling, doors with fist holes punched through them etc....
Got to charge them another $30,000.00 to return it....again .
Second one, 10 weeks later, they busted a meth lab in one one of the new units. Had to be gutted and returned....again. $30,000.00.
That guys theory made me some good $$ and gave me a lot of laughs.

Opportunity is not what is lacking. America is full of opportunity. Its the easy accessibility to long term social assistance. Quit subsidizing bad behavior, behavior will change.

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I have a theory that if you could maintain good job opportunities near any ghetto or slum you would see criminal activity diminish.

This has been proven with even the filthiest of races such as Greeks, Italians, Irish, and Cubans.

Black Americans do have one convincing piece of the “we are different” argument however. Segregation continued for a long, long time in the southern portion of the US.

You belong in the Peace Corps.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe

You belong in the Peace Corps.

You belong on the internet doing nothing in the middle of Kentucky.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I did a pretty large job renovating govt housing a few years back. The head of the housing authority had this theory that if you gave the deadbeats something nice they'd be more apt to take care of it. We put the best of everything in those units. The first one we did, 6 weeks later we came back. They'd kicked out the new tenants, and they'd destroyed the place. Pitbull dug holes through new flooring, doors ripped off high-end cabinets, light fixtures pulled out of the ceiling, doors with fist holes punched through them etc....
Got to charge them another $30,000.00 to return it....again .
Second one, 10 weeks later, they busted a meth lab in one one of the new units. Had to be gutted and returned....again. $30,000.00.
That guys theory made me some good $$ and gave me a lot of laughs.

Opportunity is not what is lacking. America is full of opportunity. Its the easy accessibility to long term social assistance. Quit subsidizing bad behavior, behavior will change.

I think you're comparing people that are given something vs. people that are afforded the opportunity to earn something.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone that thinks it's only a black issue has their eyes closed. It's embarassing to be white anymore. Between the educated liberal millenials who'd gladly give away everything their parents and grandparents worked for because of white guilt, and the 30-45 year old crackers that still live at home playing video games or in a trailer with some white trash POS old lady driving around in a 15 year old dodge caravan with three different colors of sheet metal, popping out kids and smoking meth, the caucasians aren't inspiring much hope either.

Dude,

that's like....

racist?

But yeah, there's some parts of the "White" race I'm certainly not proud of.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remsen
As a first generation American, I may be missing some nuance here, but I just don't understand what black folks want.

Sure, there was slavery, then institutionalized discrimination and there are still societal issues that seem to afflict black Americans. Why?

Slavery was abolished over 150 years ago. Civil rights laws were enacted to provide recourse for lingering anti-black discrimination. All sorts of very expensive government programs, paid for by white folk, were implemented that gave black Americans all sorts of benefits, from free food to free housing to special education for those who refused to learn the basic elements of being an American (speaking English, learning the three Rs, etc.) and reverse discrimination was legalized to give black Americans yet another way to assimilate and reap the benefits that this amazing country provides.

Still, they insist not enough has been done and even though the science shows that many black American communities choose crime, drugs and violence and create the conditions where cops either have to take action to protect the rest of society from the barbarism of many black American communities or stand back and let society be destroyed.

When I was a kid (1970s, San Francisco), most of the other kids in my school were also first generation Americans...my best friend's parents came from China, another friend's parents were from Samoa, quite a few others were from Mexico. All of us spoke proper English and studied hard and to a one, we ended up with college degrees, good jobs and comfortable lives. The black kids in our class were all from families that had been in the US for 200+ years, yet most couldn't speak proper English and rejected education for crime.

Yeah, slavery sucked, but blacks were hardly the only ones affected by slavery. The Chinese in California basically were slaves, yet they are now some of the highest achieving people in the country. My own family (both sides) were enslaved during WW2 and most of my family was killed, other than the few who made it to the US with no money, speaking no English and having survived what most would say is one of the most horrific atrocities ever.

So the black American community claims that what makes their situation different is that they are still experiencing discrimination and even institutionalized violence.

My take is that the black American community doesn't understand the basic element of chickens and eggs. Something always precedes behavior and while I don't like cops, I don't blame them for making assumptions when they have to quickly assess a situation and take action, including employing violence. I just don't understand what black Americans want...hundreds of thousands of Americans gave their lives to end slavery, trillions of our tax dollars have been spent to give black Americans every opportunity to succeed and special programs that no one else benefits from exist for black Americans.

I'm starting to understand "racism", and for the most part I think it's justified....

Interesting take on things.

But, it's really not "race" as much as it is culture. And the culture has been reinforced by racial politics.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Anyone that thinks it's only a black issue has their eyes closed. It's embarassing to be white anymore. Between the educated liberal millenials who'd gladly give away everything their parents and grandparents worked for because of white guilt, and the 30-45 year old crackers that still live at home playing video games or in a trailer with some white trash POS old lady driving around in a 15 year old dodge caravan with three different colors of sheet metal, popping out kids and smoking meth, the caucasians aren't inspiring much hope either.

Dude,

that's like....

racist?

But yeah, there's some parts of the "White" race I'm certainly not proud of.

Several white males looking at Earth from the space station today.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
As a first generation American, I may be missing some nuance here, but I just don't understand what black folks want.

Sure, there was slavery, then institutionalized discrimination and there are still societal issues that seem to afflict black Americans. Why?

Slavery was abolished over 150 years ago. Civil rights laws were enacted to provide recourse for lingering anti-black discrimination. All sorts of very expensive government programs, paid for by white folk, were implemented that gave black Americans all sorts of benefits, from free food to free housing to special education for those who refused to learn the basic elements of being an American (speaking English, learning the three Rs, etc.) and reverse discrimination was legalized to give black Americans yet another way to assimilate and reap the benefits that this amazing country provides.

Still, they insist not enough has been done and even though the science shows that many black American communities choose crime, drugs and violence and create the conditions where cops either have to take action to protect the rest of society from the barbarism of many black American communities or stand back and let society be destroyed.

When I was a kid (1970s, San Francisco), most of the other kids in my school were also first generation Americans...my best friend's parents came from China, another friend's parents were from Samoa, quite a few others were from Mexico. All of us spoke proper English and studied hard and to a one, we ended up with college degrees, good jobs and comfortable lives. The black kids in our class were all from families that had been in the US for 200+ years, yet most couldn't speak proper English and rejected education for crime.

Yeah, slavery sucked, but blacks were hardly the only ones affected by slavery. The Chinese in California basically were slaves, yet they are now some of the highest achieving people in the country. My own family (both sides) were enslaved during WW2 and most of my family was killed, other than the few who made it to the US with no money, speaking no English and having survived what most would say is one of the most horrific atrocities ever.

So the black American community claims that what makes their situation different is that they are still experiencing discrimination and even institutionalized violence.

My take is that the black American community doesn't understand the basic element of chickens and eggs. Something always precedes behavior and while I don't like cops, I don't blame them for making assumptions when they have to quickly assess a situation and take action, including employing violence. I just don't understand what black Americans want...hundreds of thousands of Americans gave their lives to end slavery, trillions of our tax dollars have been spent to give black Americans every opportunity to succeed and special programs that no one else benefits from exist for black Americans.

I'm starting to understand "racism", and for the most part I think it's justified....

But, it's really not "race" as much as it is culture. And the culture has been reinforced by racial politics.

No,....it's race.

Own up. It'll only hurt for a little while.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks,

three out of four in my background (Well, really it's Albanian from way way back, like the Ottoman takeover, so almost Greek)

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No,....it's race.

Own up. It'll only hurt for a little while.

Nope,

if it was race you couldn't explain the "anomalies" like the successful "Negroes" raised in non- Black Culture conditions.

More than enough evidence of "White" "Brown" "Yellow" and "Red" folks being raised in similar conditions, with similar cultural mores, acting the same as ghetto folks.

In it is contentment

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Nope,

if it was race you couldn't explain the "anomalies" like the successful "Negroes" raised in non- Black Culture conditions.

More than enough evidence of "White" "Brown" "Yellow" and "Red" folks being raised in similar conditions, with similar cultural mores, acting the same as ghetto folks.

'nuff said.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A legitimate chance at prosperity is what people want. It underpins all hope. Without the opportunity to prosper, freedom and self-determination have little use. We were on track, really, “like never before”. I was never prouder to be an American—so many people working and happy. We’ve got to pick up the pieces and move forward.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Put in different terms, this is what I’m talking about.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=Remsen]As a first generation American, I may be missing some nuance here, but I just don't understand what black folks want.

They want Caucasians dead.

Don't overthink it.

They dont want to be treated equal, they want to be treated special. Herein lies the problem. 😡

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
A legitimate chance at prosperity is what people want. It underpins all hope. Without the opportunity to prosper, freedom and self-determination have little use. We were on track, really, “like never before”. I was never prouder to be an American—so many people working and happy. We’ve got to pick up the pieces and move forward.

A free lunch is what most people want. A hard days work is the worst nightmare of at least 25% of all Americans.
White and black anyway. Mexican/South American, Eastern Bloc, Asian's and Indians seem to be taking advantage of the opportunity that America/Capitalism offers.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

A free lunch is what most people want. A hard days work is the worst nightmare of at least 25% of all Americans.
White and black anyway. Mexican/South American, Eastern Bloc, Asian's and Indians seem to be taking advantage of the opportunity that America/Capitalism offers.

Well,...from what I can see from the Eastern Bloc,...they don't mind working for what they get.

Which Eastern Bloc people are you talking about?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then let’s strive to give the 75% a shot at prosperity.

R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

In my experience, the opportunities exist and are rejected for any number of reasons.

When I was in high school, my uncle owned a small furniture store in the Haight (San Francisco). I worked there after school and on the weekends for $20 a day, delivering furniture to customers who were often in projects (if anyone knows the history of projects in SF, the Pink Palace and Geneva Towers, along with the projects in Hunters' Point). As I was busting my butt hauling bedroom sets up the stairs (elevators were either broken or a sure thing for a robbery) I'd often get harassed by the teen/early 20's guys who lived in the projects. They'd usually flash big wads of money and laugh about the "white boy" doing hard work.

Now delivering furniture in projects is not a "good job opportunity", but it's honest work. And most of the residents of the projects wanted nothing to do with it. They wanted big money, fast and easy.

Last edited by Remsen; 05/31/20.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

With all due respect, I think you're both smoking crack.
I just met an 18 year old Uruguayan that's been in country
2 1/2 years, didn't speak ANY English before then, that is graduating high school this week, speaks fluent English and is attending college in the fall, that's working 60 hrs a week as a small engine mechanic for a relative's business.

If you don't think there's ample opportunity for ANYONE seeking it in this country, your delusional.

Last edited by jackmountain; 05/31/20.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

How near?
Theres almost always good jobs near the slums around here. They don't have to drive much if any farther than anyone else commuting to work .Also, theres sufficient public transportation if they dont have a car.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (450yukon, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 24 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.