24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mostly bolt actions with big scopes. The 28 Nosler is popular. Shots are generally 100-1000yards.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
BP-B6

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A 270 would be fine where I hunt.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
in my "neck of the woods" (Central KY), .30-06 and .270, followed by .243 and .223...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
a couple, three decades ago it was a toss-up between the remington pumps, 700's and marlin 336's. today in the woods i see mostly what appear to be plastic stocked bolt action mossbergs or some other cheaper gun and giant scopes about 2 feet long and as big around as a coke can in front. not sure why people think they need that in the PA woods where a long shot is 75 yards most times. same goes for guys with the fancy ammo that costs twice what corelokt or power points cost. most deer in PA are 100-120 lbs soaking wet.

as for me, depending on the weather it could be anything from a 100 y/o pump gun to a modern scout rifle and lots in between.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the 60's hunting with my dad's old cronies it was a .30 WCF (.30-30) M64 that I borrowed from dad's gun guy friend. There was a .35 Remington M8, .30-06 M760, 3 .308 M100's, .308 M70, 8x57 M98, .300 WM M70, .30-06 M742, .308 M742, .30-30 M170, .30-06 M70 and a .308 BAR at deer camp at one time or another. Dad would "sight in" his 8x57 Mauser with a couple of shots over the hood of the car on a cardboard box and minute of box was good enough. I got dad's friend's old gun magazines and got more serious about hunting and shooting as I got older. As a kid one of my jobs aside from doing the dishes was shooting Bob's 35 Whelen AI handloads to fire form the brass. Lots of those old guys just let me shoot their rifles to make sure that they were still on. The guys weren't real serious about their hunting back in those days though we did manage to bag a couple of deer every year. Lots of horsing around and good memories every year. The M742 was so common in these parts that our back tags even showed that rifle's profile on our back tags.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ky221
Eastern Ky. Unfortunately it is usually the cheapest plastic stocked 7mag, 30-06, 270, 300WM with the blister pack scope and rings.....

A couple years back, my dog's ice cream man, who's not a gun guy by any stretch of the imagination, bought a new rifle, probably at WhataMart. Savage of some sort in 6.5 YouKnowWhat. Can't fault him, makes sense for someone that just wants to hunt. I imagine a lot of guys are doing the same now, at least until they lose one and decide they need a .300 WinMag.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bartman
Hey Boca, I left Appalachia years ago and now in your neck of the woods. See 12 gauge shotguns and bow hunters now mostly. What are you seeing?

Mostly bow hunters. The gun hunters I see are a pretty equal mix of pump 12s, muzzleloaders and some variation of a straight walled rifle. Most of the rifle guys have a single shot .450 or similar. Very few . Lever actions, but a few. And a few AR platforms as well.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Eastern Ky. Unfortunately it is usually the cheapest plastic stocked 7mag, 30-06, 270, 300WM with the blister pack scope and rings.....

A couple years back, my dog's ice cream man, who's not a gun guy by any stretch of the imagination, bought a new rifle, probably at WhataMart. Savage of some sort in 6.5 YouKnowWhat. Can't fault him, makes sense for someone that just wants to hunt. I imagine a lot of guys are doing the same now, at least until they lose one and decide they need a .300 WinMag.

grin

That'll fix all their problems for sure!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Sounds kind of like my hunting partner. He's definitely not a gun guy. Knows very little about ballistics beyond the load charts put out by the ammo manufacturers. He has only one deer rifle. It's a Tikka model 658 .270 I talked him into buying used from a classified ad in the paper back in the 90's. It still wears an old 3-9x Denver Redfield he mounted on it way back then. The thing is, he doesn't much care what rifle he uses as long as it functions well and shoots decent. He is however, one of the best, most successful, most dedicated, hard hunting deer hunters I know. He kills multiple deer every season with bow, crossbow and rifle and his living room has big buck mounts on every wall all the way around. I have known him and hunted with him since high school and he's never gone a season without punching his tags since way back then. You don't have to have a safe full of expensive rifles or be a rifle loony to be a great hunter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
This one in 6.5x55 loaded with a 120gr GMX.

Custom model 70 SS Classic. Older Swarovski 3-9x36 Optik

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's a good looking set-up. I like the express sights.
Around here most guys (and gals) hunt with a bolt action in 30-06, 270 (gals), 308 etc. A few get out with some vintage stuff too, Savage 99, Winchester 94, Marlin 336. I have a mix of old & new, synthetic/stainless or wood/blue.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is 25-06 country but a little of everything with the 243, 270, 22-250, 30-06, 223 all well represented somewhat in that order. I like to go to the old hardware stores and see what ammo they carry. It can be a surprise when the 30-40 Krag is next to the 300 Weatherby ammo.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
270 Win shines here on the prairie.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the 70s and 80s in North Alabama I saw lots of Winchester 94 30-30s often with side mounted cheap Tascos. There was a fair number of sportrized and stock military bolt guns, the odd Remington jamomatic almost always in 30-06 and the well heeled hunters carried a Remington 700 BDL usually in 30-06 as well. The kids, myself included, often started out with an H&R 20 or 12 gauge single shot with Foster style slugs. These were good at 40 yds maybe.

Today in Central AL and East TN where I hunt most I see lots of synthetic stock bolt guns in 270, 30-06, 7mag and even a lot of 300 Win and Wby mags. Hubble sized scopes are ubiquitous.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
B
B
North central WV.... most guys have bolt action 700s or Ruger 77s. Still a lot of 7400’s and pawn shop specials like low end plastic stock bolt guns. AR-15s (ugh). Plenty of 30-30’s. 30-06, 243, 270, 7mm Mag. Mostly junk bc we are a poor area. People laugh me out of the shop when I tell them I hunt with guns like 250 Savage, 7x57, 257 Rob, 6mm Rem, etc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once Upon a Once,

the cheapest new rifle that could be had was probably a Marlin of some sort, maybe a 30A. Now it's probably one of the Tupperware bolt actions, maybe a package deal with a low-end Vortex already mounted (It's all sighted in, right?) still from Whatamart, unless a trek is made to one of the big outdoor superstores. Since many don't have access to a decent place to shoot, a fair number get hunted as-is, or test-fired at some informal setup. Some will get test-fired in the woods, maybe after missing a shot at a deer.

At least the Marlins had iron sights, more or less lined up at the factory.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
B

(It's all sighted in, right?)

You and me both know, that's a WV truism.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Eastern Nebraska doesn't have a long tradition of firearms deer hunting, so most rifles seen in the field are from the mid-1960s forward.

I see quite a few inexpensive bolt action rifles from Mossberg, Remington, and Savage at sight-in days at the range that I belong to.

I do my part by trying to shoot several whitetails each year with different rifle, cartridge, and bullet combinations.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Like I said before I'm allways interested in the way others do the same things I do. I've noticed quite a few parallels in the responses we don't all think a like but mostly we are all pretty much in the mainstream. I grew to hunting age in southeast South Dakota,corn country ,soybeans and alfalfa with the Missouri River on the south and various other river drainages flowing into it. The Big Sioux, Vermillion, James as well as creek drainages They all had Cottonwood groves along them as well as other timbered lots . Deer bedded in the timber and fed in row crop and alfalfa.in the 50,s thru the 70,s deer were hunted by drives with standers by groups up to 20 in number not allways the same people but the same clique of guys. You were damn lucky to draw every 3 years a tag ,some guys had connections in West river (west of the Missouri) and got tags every year. The Black Hills unit one only had to buy a tag over the counter for $7.50 cash every year if you wanted one.
One thing was pretty much the same and that was most guys only had 1 rifle some of them carted around the same box of ammo for 10 years. I was 12 in 1967 and never failed to listen when the old guys started to talk hunting birds or deer. I remember well that a lot swore by winchester 94's mostly 30-30 and occasionally a 32 Spcl user. Marlins in the same and every once in awhile one chambered for35 Rem . There were guys who had 35's in M 8/81 and M141 rem pumps. The std 30-06 was m760 and m740-2 Remington pump and semi auto's. You saw more converted military 03's and m 1917's than new bolt guns some done custom mostly by the bench out in someone's garage who was handy with tool's. The new bolt guns were out there but it seemed only in a great while that someone bought one. M99 savages were popular mostly 300 savages. In the early 70's things started to change, bowling league for something to do once a week was being dropped for archery league which was cheaper and the same beer was drank afterwards. The interest in bow shooting led to deer hunting from tree stands and it got figured out in a hurry that a scoped rifle in the same tree stand produced a nice buck a whole lot more often than being in a drive. Some of those guys in those stands were the landowners and they also figured out just how many nice bucks they had .That a 2 1/2 year old 4x4 didn't get any bigger if you let anybody hunt your property and the buck went home in the back of someone else's pickup.Times were changing in methodology,what you used for guns, and decreasing access. I traded off a tired Remington 572 pump 22 and some cash for a sporterized M93 Spanish 7x57, it was further sporterized by a gunsmith in Sioux City Ia and myself when I was 14 finally drew my 1st tag at 17 resulting in a nice 3x3 buck. Still hunt all my life using bolt guns ,levers and single shots. I still like hearing how others do it. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Area: Wyoming. I’m just gonna offer an “unqualified” comment! The average hunter, is not like the majority of “gun-nuts”, like us on “the fire”. So my answer would be.....they primarily use one rifle/cartridge for all of their hunting! So, listed in no particular order......270 Win., 30-06 Springfield, 7 Mag, and the .300 WM. Likely, the 270 and the 30-06, would top the list! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll buy that theory memtb but I'd add the 30-30, 223',243 and 25-06 in a lot of places I think it depends a lot on what is conveniently available. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.