Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
The pandemic settling down enough that it's looking like a pre-planned prairie dog shoot in 3 weeks is a go. So that has us driving through Louisville, St. Louis, & Kansas City. Hopefully our timing will have us doing all that in daylight & missing a rush hour in at least two of them. But.

I've personally seen enough things things in those places over the years, not to have me scared, but to be very cautious. We won't be stopping if we don't have to. But a break down or a missed exit can have you in a pinch pretty quick. Been there, and things are only hotter at the moment. I don't plan to be mistaken for Reginald Denny.

How well prepared would you be if making that trip?

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've been through St. Louis a few times in years past, but I don't remember the routes we took. I do remember if you look at the maps you can find routes that swing wide around it on state highways, many of which are divided four lane. You have to be willing to trade drive time for convenience or safety. Sometimes you don't sacrifice time by going around if there's a fender bender on the interstate closer to town.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd be giving STL a wide berth.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

As for avoiding inner city St. Louis, in the past I've exited 64 at 255 and crossed over the Mississippi from Illinois to Missouri at the bridge there. From there you'd just continue on on 270 then back on 64.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have no reason to do that, I’m thankful

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Avoid Illinois like the plague, and bypass St. Louis if at all possible. From your location, I'd drop down into Tennessee around Clarksville and cross the Mississippi river at Dyersburg, then find a way to travel around St. Louis to the west instead of going through the city at all. Interstate 55 approaches from the south, and there are several ways to make a wide loop around the St. L. metro area. Tennessee and Missouri are CCW-friendly areas- - - -Illinois isn't!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I do what I can to travel in accordance with those states that offer me concealed carry reciprocity and avoid like the plague those that don’t.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I pick up I- 70 in St Louis when I travel out west. I get there via I-64. It gets you through the city easy enough.

I never spend the night in St Louis, however. I drive past it and spend the night in Columbia, Missouri. From Central Kentucky to Columbia is a decent days drive. From Columbia I drive on it to Colorado the next day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sounds like there is a concern over something that is of statistical insignificance. Might I say you have a tiny glimpse of what certain aspects of life are like for many black people?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was traveling through East St. Louis on business, trying to get out of there as quickly as possible, when I saw a young lady with a small child trying to change a flat tire on her car. When I stopped and backed up to her car, I could tell she was terrified, at least until she saw my veteran's ball cap and my gray hair. Since I carry a small floor jack and a battery-powered impact wrench for just such situations, I got us both back on the road in short order. Yes, I was packing, even if it is illegal on that side of the river!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

F
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
F
Is this really a thing? Some of you afraid to travel "thru" major metro cities?

Guess it's the same fear of some minorities traveling outside city limits and into the country.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It sounds like there is a concern over something that is of statistical insignificance. Might I say you have a tiny glimpse of what certain aspects of life are like for many black people?

It’s statistically insignificant until it’s not & fortune favors the prepared.

Last I knew there is no “race” restriction on concealed carry licenses anywhere in the country.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The same way I have always been...

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've studied maps & it's tempting to take back roads etc. but it could be a long trip. And I'm the only retired one with plenty of time on there hands. The leader of the four of us does despise Illinois politics & refuses to stop in the state there for anything. But sometimes you may not have a choice.

A trip using side routes would be a lot more enjoyable scenic wise, safer for sure. It would add a good bit of travel time or cut into the shoot. But I hear ya.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I stopped to get gas this morning.... a black guy was inside getting coffee...

Cant believe I survived to tell this story hahahahahaha

This website is fugging hysterical hahahahahaha the level of stupidity that I continue to read out of you twits is addicting. I keep coming back to see who can top who for the dumbass of the day award, and this one from the OP might win, though its early and Jag is still a member though taking his old man nap currently.... give it time

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

Shirley you jest ?

Miss the first sentence in my second paragraph ? "Seen personally" not cooked stats on a piece of paper.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo

Shirley you jest ?

Miss the first sentence in my second paragraph ? "Seen personally" not cooked stats on a piece of paper.

The shoe still fits.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunzo

How well prepared would you be if making that trip?

I'm not going to ANY of those places on my next trip, or any major metro areas, but I'm packing my Glock and three mags...

For point of reference, does that help answer your question?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I wouldn't worry about it unless there's news of Interstate's being blocked in St Louis,...which is unlikely. The way the interstate is configured in Louisville and St Louis, you don't pass through much "city". You can see a bit of ghetto from I-70 going through St Louis, but you don't get very close to it. St Louis is one of the easier big cities to get through. Kansas City is a bit more troublesome. Louisville can get fairly backed up during certain hours of the day. But I haven't been there since they completed the improvements on I-64. Traffic might flow more easily now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,848
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.