Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Is this really a thing? Some of you afraid to travel "thru" major metro cities?

Guess it's the same fear of some minorities traveling outside city limits and into the country.

I’m not afraid of it but I do prepare just like I prepare for anything.

Keep in mind that there have been instances with BLM a few years ago and now this where interstates are effectively closed by protesters.

GB1

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I appreciate the travel info, but I've been that route a couple dozen times. Alternative routes are appreciated as well.

I added a few disclaimers in the OP to try to avoid somebody blowing things up & trying to put words in my mouth like a bitch. I have Ejp1234 on ignore & since it was my thread, I decided to toggle & see what the gal had to say, she didn't let me down.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hahahaha using ignore, like a bitch hahaha

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by gunzo

How well prepared would you be if making that trip?

I'm not going to ANY of those places on my next trip, or any major metro areas, but I'm packing my Glock and three mags...

For point of reference, does that help answer your question?

3 mags? you could get labeled as paranoid for packing that much ammo. I say tongue in cheek. Thank you for your take!

I've traveled pretty light in the past, live & let live, relaxed. But it seems to be prudent to bulk things up a bit, especially when I can't run near as fast as I used to.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The liberal whites ARE a problem. Most urban, 99% northern, you make your own judgement.

Of course Manlicker will say it's all blacks and that I'm a liberal. I'm betting he has a few libs and at least 2 blacks in the woodpile.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, If you are transiting the state of Illinois, and are allowed lawfully to carry concealed in your state of residence, then you are also allowed to carry concealed in your vehicle as you drive through Illinois.

With few exceptions there is no lawful open carry in the state.

With the sole exception of L.E. there is no way to carry an uncased and/or loaded long arm in a vehicle, in Illinois.

Am not aware that it has been tried in court, but most authorities advise not to exit your vehicle armed, even for fuel and/or restroom stops.

Illinois' CCW permit is recognized by 28 states. Illinois does not recognize the CCW permit or right to carry of any other state, with the exception of transit-in-vehicle.

Illinois is a very long but relatively narrow state. East to west transit should be easy for most without a stop. No real reason under the law to detour or rethink your trip.

If a guy were to drive from Memphis to Milwaukee he'd be in Illinois for over 500 miles, by the shortest route. A trip well worth avoiding, but then the communities on either end are no Shangri-La either...

Best wishes to all traveling
Hope the info helps

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks johnw. Good info.

We always fuel up & feed before entering Ill., set the cruise on the speed limit & try to get through there as fast as legal.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have traveled that route many times and I actually lived right where I-64 and I-70 come together west of STL. I-64 runs the northern border of Louisville and most of it travels along NuLu and the touristy areas of downtown, so no real problem there.
Coming through STL, stay on I-64. You will be through “downtown” in 10 minutes and into the affluent regions in no time. It is the North STL area along I-70 or the South along I-55 that are a bit more sketchy, but honestly, you probably don’t have to worry.
KC is similar to STL in that you will be in the burbs much more than you will in the “city”. Once you cross the river you will be back in farm country pretty quick.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
I stopped to get gas this morning.... a black guy was inside getting coffee...

Cant believe I survived to tell this story hahahahahaha

you must be from Salmon, Idaho....yes, not all black people are out to cut your throat.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Our crew drives I-64 from Lexington to Louisville to St. Louis to pick up I-70 to KC every year enroute to Colorado 2nd rifle. Typically 8-12 guys in three trucks. Everyone is carrying. No issues with Illinois. Obey the speed limit. Drive like a sane person. Rock on. We typically do breakfast, pee stop, and top off tanks around Evansville, IN. And then non-stop thru Illinois and downtown St. Louis.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunzo
The pandemic settling down enough that it's looking like a pre-planned prairie dog shoot in 3 weeks is a go. So that has us driving through Louisville, St. Louis, & Kansas City. Hopefully our timing will have us doing all that in daylight & missing a rush hour in at least two of them. But.

I've personally seen enough things things in those places over the years, not to have me scared, but to be very cautious. We won't be stopping if we don't have to. But a break down or a missed exit can have you in a pinch pretty quick. Been there, and things are only hotter at the moment. I don't plan to be mistaken for Reginald Denny.

How well prepared would you be if making that trip?

This should help:
http://racialdotmap.demographics.coopercenter.org/
Turn ON map labels and zoom in to look at your route.

Route your way around large concentrations of GREEN and ORANGE. Avoidance is your best course of action. And easier on your insurance: auto and health.

I would be sure to pack heat, both a shotgun and a handgun. And maybe some hand weapons like an axe handle and maybe a closet pole. Road flares are a good way to say, "Back off" especially after they start dripping that super-hot fluid.

Be sure to stay cognizant of where you are and the applicable laws.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I keep one of these little shovels in my pick-up,....just in case I have to dig myself out sometime.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've been misplaced in the hood & it didn't seem as comical as Clark's vacation. And there no hooters as fine as Beverly Deangilo's till we got to the Boogie down Club in Denver.

They talk of the bug out bag & I was never interested as getting home would be my goal. We've seen this crap go on for days, & how long did Ferguson last, or expand?? To leave home if the SH was hittin the fan would be... dumb. But what if the SHTF while you were away from home??

That's called the get home package. That part is the important one to me.

This is the perfect scenario for the non livin in the woods for months, how to equip an urban get home bag.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
I'd be giving STL a wide berth.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Take a southern route that bypasses all that bullchit.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I go into St Louis every couple months or so for over 30 years. I’m not a big city guy and not too fond of crowds but that is where the Cards and Blues play. Stay on the main roads and you should be fine.

Last edited by Crappie_Killer; 06/01/20.

CK
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
east st louis is nice this time of year.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I keep one of these little shovels in my pick-up,....just in case I have to dig myself out sometime.

a friend of mine is a vietnam marine vet. did 2 tours. he said he killed more enemy with his trenching tool than he did his m16.

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Don't get off I-70 westbound when you see Blue Springs . Everything west into Wyandotte Co , Ks is [bleep] town . I live 80 miles southeast of KC and the crime is unreal . KCPD seems to have to run down [bleep] damn near daily . Yep . Its a [bleep] too .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.