Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thinking I should have a compactable 9mm carbine. Build an AR, Ruger PC, or the Sub2000 are options? There's other no doubt. Budget friendly is important, I don't need one $1400 bad.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ruger pc charger

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Look at the Hi Point. Not sure about the 9mm, but the 45 ACP fits me to a T, and is built like an M3 Grease gun--all stamped metal. $279 out the door a few months ago. 4 inch groups at 50 yards with an RDS. Not as nicely built as the Ruger, and not foldable like the K2000, but it always goes bang and hits where it is pointed. I am pleased with mine.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Grand Power Stribog 9mm with HBI SBT Folding Brace.

There can be had for around $800 when in stock.

Job Bob has them for $820.00

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Gr...30-1-Pistol-w-p/gun-stribog-sp9a1-sb.htm

Right now it's generally considered the best of the PCC in this price range.

Personally, I'm waiting for PSA to release their MP-5 Clone. On sale they are expected to be around a thousand bucks.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/01/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Appreciate the ideas. Seeking laptop size case firepower, so a folder or might just go handgun which I am rightfully skeptical of my prowess with.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 06/02/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
What do got for 9mms?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have posted a couple of times about the the Kel-tec Sub 2000. Mine is a second generation. I am pasting, with modifications, a prior post.

My Sub 2000 has been very reliable, but it rarely gets used. It was a nice concept, in theory, but poorly executed. It is impossible for me to get a cheek weld on the buffer tube and have the ghost ring anything close to aligning properly with the front sight. (mcarbo offers a replacement rear sight that is supposed to fix that, but I have not tried it. It costs $65.) The trigger pull is long and very creepy. It has a blowback action that, surprisingly, generates more recoil than I was expecting. Until the distance starts exceeding pistol range, I am much faster with a pistol than this rifle. Accuracy from the bench was decent, but obtained at a very slow pace. Sorry, I can't give you group sizes. All in all, unless one needs the compact size and light weight, I don't see much benefit. I view it as a gun to use for taking a couple of shots at a target that is outside pistol range, but not for something like action shooting.

My Ruger PCC is an early model, and it needs to go back to Ruger for occasional ejection malfunctions. (I think that this issue has been fixed over time for later models.) It is heavy for its size, but shoots well. With a cheap Burris Fastfire III, my son makes short work of clay pigeons placed on a berm. (I tried it with a Sig Romeo5, but it didn't fit the rail well and kept shooting loose.) The Ruger would be better for sustained shooting. You can take it down into two pieces, but I don't do that.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 06/02/20.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My Sub 2000 is a 40 S&W that uses my Beretta 96 mags. I can hit pop cans at 80 -90 yards offhand so it's plenty accurate for me and folds nicely in a briefcase size (maybe slightly larger) along with the Beretta and 5 or six mags. Can't comment on any of the others, have 0 experience with them. I wouldn't hesitate to use mine for self defense at all (unless the range was past 100 yards). Most of the time it's a fun little plinker!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by viking
What do got for 9mms?

I am trying to not think I need anything new as I have so much chit. But, not much for 9mm. I have my S&W5906 and it's a beast. I am thinking of getting some new night sights and a few more mags and calling it good. Put it in my man purse and carry-on. I can hit things with it, sorta. It cycles everything...

We recently got a Ruger SR9c meant for the wife, still in testing mode but I don't trust it..

Only small thing I have is a Ruger SR22. Yah, 22lr, but I'd not want to eat a few Stingers from it. If I need to I will carry this. Open or concealed.

Rest of the handguns, Ruger Wrangler, a Ruger MKIII 22/45 target, Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag, and a Savage Striker 516 repeater 308/243/5.5CM

Maybe a 9 carbine is not the answer. Have an assortment of 556 AR Pistols and carbines, shotguns, rifles galor.... Time for a garage sale if I decide upon something new. These threads often help me refocus. I want lots, need????

I would not like a long rough trigger.

--- Kid Rock 2022

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
BM,

The question around your current 9mm may have been around what magazines you currently have. If, for instance, you had a glock, several of the 9mm carbines take Glock mags....etc....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by viking
What do got for 9mms?

I am trying to not think I need anything new as I have so much chit. But, not much for 9mm. I have my S&W5906 and it's a beast. I am thinking of getting some new night sights and a few more mags and calling it good. Put it in my man purse and carry-on. I can hit things with it, sorta. It cycles everything...

We recently got a Ruger SR9c meant for the wife, still in testing mode but I don't trust it..

Only small thing I have is a Ruger SR22. Yah, 22lr, but I'd not want to eat a few Stingers from it. If I need to I will carry this. Open or concealed.

Rest of the handguns, Ruger Wrangler, a Ruger MKIII 22/45 target, Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag, and a Savage Striker 516 repeater 308/243/5.5CM

Maybe a 9 carbine is not the answer. Have an assortment of 556 AR Pistols and carbines, shotguns, rifles galor.... Time for a garage sale if I decide upon something new. These threads often help me refocus. I want lots, need????

I would not like a long rough trigger.

I was wondering if you had Glocks, then buy a Mech Tech conversion.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Gotcha. Both. Much appreciated.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy, Bob, had a Kel-tec Sub 2000 in 9mm. He brought to the house one day; he'd just acquired it and wanted to show it off. Little Angus was in attendance and fell in love with the thing. I think he was in middle school about then. Fast forward to last year. Bob died. His widow sold off all his guns. We went over and picked up 2 each. Angus just HAD to have the Sub 2000. He got it out to the range and . . . nothing. Bob had never tried to fire it. There was something wrong with it. Angus tried to open it up and see what was going on and . . .

. . . ZING! a spring went flying across the room. He got an exploded drawing and figured out that a pin had broken off, holding the spring. He got the spring from Kel-tec without a problem, but getting a new pin put in place was a whole other situation. He finally found a gunsmith who would do the work. I don't know if, a year into it, if he has ever been able to get a round through it.

In the gun's defense, Bob got the thing cheap. Bob was already too ill to be attending the range. It did not stop him from collecting. He was also not the best for maintaining his collection. My Ruger Model 44 had two trips to the smith before it functioned properly. I'm not complaining, and I dearly loved Bob, but we did see a pattern emerge. Bob's other friends have had similar experiences.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks man, good story and you got it to my mind's eye, even though the fog. Cheers.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hold the phone. The Marlin Camp 9 uses the same mags as my S&W 5906.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.