Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just got through hunting Axis with WTO in W TX. He has an '01 500 model as well with a few less hours on it and it just won't quit. He hunts in some very, very tough country, for sheep especially.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

recently talked to a guy here in Podunk

'11 Ranger....claims 25K miles on the farm

That's a lot of fuggin miles/hrs

does his own repairs...nuthin major....

All these machines are good to a sense......

Features....warranty....pricing...

I just spent 75 miles on my '18 Teryx today..

More 4x4 low range....than Hi 2.......rocks....more fuggin rocks

Trail was up hill both ways.......go figure.......

actually down hill can be worse......Kawi has engine brake that really helps

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

bring your Polaris to Utah

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We enjoy ATV rides, but there are not any groomed trails here in Alaska I am aware of. Our machines are mostly used for hunting and berry picking and rarely go over 15 mph. Most of the time the trails are so bad we can't do 10 mph with out jarring our teeth loose. I a run the Polaris Big Boss 6x6, a 2011 model and ran a 1996 for 13 years with little problems. I prefer it as it will haul moose and pull trailers and buck brush better then any 4 wheeler I have seen. For many years we would hunt out of a wall tent for about 3 weeks in the fall at a camp about 15 tough trail miles from the highway.

We sold the wife's 2001 Sportsman 500 a few years ago and only replaced a stater in it. In 2014 bought a Polaris Razor LE 570 for her and i think I had to replace a starter solenoid. I also think it is safer for her. Now that we have reached the age of 70 we don't venture out for as long or far as we used to with out a younger guy along, if something happened to me way back on a trail it would put my wife in a tough spot. That is why we use machines that are easily capable of carrying two riders and some gear and Otto the Mini Schnauzer.

As far as the best machine, ya got me and I personally believe none of them are as reliable as a car. The short limited warranties speaks volumes. I am surprised at how long they run considering what they are used for. I think one of the reasons we have had good luck with our machines is we take care of them and ride slow, change engine fluids regularly and grease them.

The old Honda 300 4-wheeler and the 3 wheeler's they made are the most bullet prof models I am aware of. If you go to any remote Alaskan village there will be several old Honda's zipping along with riders barely out of their diapers. They don't baby those old Honda's and many of them have been exposed to sandy ocean beaches for mos of their life.. LOL

I doubt I will ever get another ATV and my old Big Boss is handy on my property. If I was richer, I would look at one of those fancy Can Am side by sides like my buddy spent about 25 grand on.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We enjoy ATV rides, but there are not any groomed trails here in Alaska I am aware of. Our machines are mostly used for hunting and berry picking and rarely go over 15 mph. Most of the time the trails are so bad we can't do 10 mph with out jarring our teeth loose.
That describes many of the 'groomed' trails here in so. Idaho. They remove the rocks and logs that nothing can get over and call it a trail. Some get pretty hairy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Had to repair a lot of stuff on the Polaris ATV I had, but it never stranded me. Brand spanking new Kawasaki’s have stranded me twice. Won’t happen again. I love Honda’s, but Yamahas have been even better....I’ve brutalized two Big Bears, and couldn’t kill them. Suzuki’s have intrigued me, but never owned one. All my experience is 10yrs old or so, and ATVs only....so not trying to tell anyone what’s what these days. Just enjoying the conversation and pics. I’ll have to have one again before too long. I’ve ridden in and driven most of the new UTV stuff these days, not owned. but I’d always buy another Honda or Yamaha. The Kubota I was in TOD had cool features and a nice ride, but was more a tractor than a sport vehicle, and was loud AF.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 07/17/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's an interesting article about the RZR/Ranger front differential, comparing it to Can-Am's Visco-lok. I don't know what models of Polaris this refers to or if's in any of the ATVs. I do know that when my RZR's in nasty stuff, it just keep pulling. If it has 1 wheel on the ground, it's moving. I can't feel any slipping or shifting in or out. It just keeps going.

POLARIS DIFFERENTIAL

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had three Polaris ATV's. I now have a Yamaha Kodiak. The Polaris models have a lot of mechanical issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Now I have a Yamaha Kodiak" speaks volumes. Our Polaris Sportsman 400 gets minimal usage, but just getting to that battery to change it out every couple of years sure gives me pause about how the rest of it was engineered.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's a lot of room between Honda and POS. I'd put Polaris well above POS but a little below Honda. There are a lot of them out there that have been highly reliable.

What are those Trackers like that Cabelas is selling now? Modified golf carts? Service? Parts? I'm highly suspicious that they're junk.

The Trackers are made by Textron the company that Now owns Artic Cat ....They also make Beechcraft and Cessna air craft and Bell Helicopters.....I have a 2017 Textron Stampede 900..... That has been flawless at 150 hrs and 400 miles of rough terrain.....Smooth and quiet rattle free The suspension and components are very well built.... it will run in the 60s ....It is the basically the same machine as the Tracker 1000 SXS......Mine was built in GA...I thank the current Trackers are made in Minnesota....

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 07/26/20.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yeah, those Rangers sure do suck..........my 2006 500 has probably carried out more dead animals than most people have ever seen.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Can't help myself. I have to say dandy buck.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
I will not drive my Polaris sportsman any farther than I am willing to walk

Learned this lesson the hard way

LC.

Sometimes when I go alone......I think exactly about that....

Even traveling fully equipped with extra gear...spare...patch kit...winch...Viair DC pump.....etc

These modern machines are quite reliable...but one silly computer glitch & you may be screwed

I may end up 40+ miles from the truck...with no hiking short cuts if you had to walk out......

Seeing other persons....especially weekdays may be of no chance...

Most recently I've been riding with a buddy & his '14 800 Razr....good to have company along the way......

two words: satellite phone

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Happy Polaris owner...Just lucky I guess.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last year I had an oil pressure relief valve freeze up on my '12 Razor. It let the pressure build up to several times normal and the engine wouldn't even turn over. It was just a $10 part...that required dismantling the entire engine to put it in.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It went to our local shop to buy a polaris sxs, the 570, ended up with the honda 700. They sale way more polaris but like they told me, if you trade in every few years, get a polaris, if you dont, get a honda. My 03 honda rancher, can't kill the thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Between my father an I, all our ATVs are Honda and the newest is a dozen years old. They are indeed hard to kill. Not perfect, but tough. As I have said before, most of the oil-field guys here run the Honda 500 and 700 SxS rigs these days, and they seem happy with the reliability and longevity. Many were less than happy with Polaris for that role.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll add another thing, when folks start modified them for bigger tires than they can handle, portals, etc....and then install homemade snorkel systems and treat them like submarines, no wonder any have issues. The biggest complain I've heard about the polaris sxs is they are belt driven and have had issues with catching on fire more easily than others.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JPro
Between my father an I, all our ATVs are Honda and the newest is a dozen years old. They are indeed hard to kill. Not perfect, but tough. As I have said before, most of the oil-field guys here run the Honda 500 and 700 SxS rigs these days, and they seem happy with the reliability and longevity. Many were less than happy with Polaris for that role.

That's interesting. Dawson Geophysical has probably 100 Rangers in their yard right now, and have been using them for years. I will admit it's hard to go wrong with Honda though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Polaris ATV's and UTV's are pure junk for any sort of hard use. They do ride nice. Any of the Japanese brands are better by a significant margin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's probably safe to say that Polaris has turned out some "winner" model and some "losers", like many other manufacturers. Some that are great designs and some that have chronic problems.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.