Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My first mistake was purchasing a borescope. Cleaned the barrel of my t3x 7mm-08 several times and these images kept coming up. They aren't lint from a patch and they don't look like copper fouling but are these marks from the manufacturing process of the barrel???? (or do I need to keep cleaning?) The marks are prominent mid way through the barrel's length.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is what the barrel looks like closer to the chamber and muzzle looks 'clean' like this too.

Thank you for any advise and suggestions.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is some sort of defect (looks like etching) but if you can't feel it with a patch (so it's not any sort of significant obstruction) I'd just see how it shoots.

One of my rifle bores has a minefield of pits (nice shiny pits) that are visible with the naked eye at the muzzle end, but still shoots okay.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 06/02/20.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That makes me glad I haven't bought a bore scope. I would send the pictures to Tikka.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Assuming this is not a NIB rifle?

That looks like a rust spot that caused pitting. Probably from storage. Not from manufacturing. Tikka will tell you the same I bet.

So have you noticed a shift in accuracy? I would not worry about it unless your group size has noticibly increased.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought the gun NIB a little less than three years ago. It has alway shot very well and I intend on keeping it, if it continues to do so. It's just a little unexpected surprise is all.

Would DBC smooth out the entire length of the inside barrel surface and keep those effected areas protected better???

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So you have had it 3 years then. I think that was a rust spot that pitted under the rust and then you removed the rust and uncovered the pitting. I don't use DBC. Mule Deer could answer that.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I contacted Beretta and sent them the pictures.

The original purchase was from Whittakers early Jan. 2018 and shipped to my LGS. I inspected it at the gunshop when first picking it up, but didn't look down through the barrel with a borescope or anything. The gun has several hundred rounds through it now shooting paper. It's been cleaned a number of times and has two deer to it's name. Guess I will wait to hear from Beretta.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep us updated please.

I have read bad reports on Beretta's customer service.
Curious to hear how this goes.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I received this in my email half hour ago. This should be interesting because Tikka has a 2 yr warranty on their rifles and I'm 6 month passed that, but the only reason I even know about this going on is that I purchased a Teslong borescope from amazon last Saturday.

Hello Eric:

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

Sir, we have forwarded your photos to the Tikka factory in Finland for evaluation. As soon as we hear back from them, we will let you know what they say.

We thank you for choosing Beretta.

Best regards,

Beretta Customer Support

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Now for the latest:

Response By Email (Senior Technical Advisor) (06/04/2020 11:24 AM)
Hello Eric:

Sir, the technicians at Tikka believe that the photos show rust/corrosion inside the barrel. They said the first photo, which looks almost like lint, is fresh corrosion which has occurred since the last time the rifle was fired. The second photo shows older corrosion, where the gun has been fired and cleaned, removing the actual rust but leaving behind some minor pitting. Since the pitting is not at the muzzle, it is unlikely to cause any major issues with accuracy. The best course of action is to insure that the barrel always has a thin coating of oil on it when the gun is in storage.

We thank you for choosing Beretta and Tikka.

Best regards,

Beretta Customer Support

MY biggest concern is that, at the rate this barrel is corroding and the rifle not being very old, what will I be looking at in 5 years??

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No offense intended, but why don't you jut enjoy shooting the thing and not worry about it? You already said it was very accurate, to go enjoy it. It'll likely still shoot better and last at least as long as anything else.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JG, no offense taken and I get what you're saying.

I just find it hard to believe that for no more than I've shot that rifle and for as much attention as I've given to keeping that barrel clean you would have thought I lived in the salt air on the gulf coast, not in the middle of Kansas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuzcaeIYeI

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
LNF,
What was your storage and cleaning regiment? Were you storing in a soft case of closed cell foam case? Also, did you clean after using in the field/range? What type of solvents did you use? Did they have high ammonia content?

The reason I ask is that I had a nice after market barrel on a rifle which I had only about 80 rounds through it. I always cleaned after shooting it and it was accurate. However, on the last cleaning, copper build-up was so bad that it jammed the .22 cal rod in a .22 cal barrel. I sent pics to the manufacturer and they wanted the barrel back to inspect and were really good about sending me a new barrel. The issue was not my cleaning or storing but that they had received a bad lot of steel.

I say all this as I'd watch copper fouling in those areas. It can build up and create high pressure. I'm not saying it will for sure but there is the possibility. If storing in a soft/padded case, don't do that. I recently had a brand new Howa in a Midway waxed canvas case starting rusting on the barrel after just 3 days in the case.

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
I am a great believer in "Ignorance is bliss" I have never scoped a gun that shot well even my competition guns. I will scope a new blank to check the quality before I spin it on the lathe, why spend time chambering a barrel that has defects? Plus the easiest time to discuss a problem with the barrel manufacture is before you touch it with any tooling.

This kind of follows what I think should be the first law of engineering: "If it works, don't fix it." This law is too often overlooked by young engineers of all ages.

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
First off a big shout out and Thank You to John Barsness (Mule Deer)!

I p.m.'d him the final Benelli response (below) and asked if DBC would be worth a shot. Dyna-Tek Bore Coat is the route I'm going to take. Love the gun and it shoots well. Thing I don't understand is my 1950's m1 Garand's barrel is pitted and still has good rifling, yet it didn't 'bloom' rust and etch like this Tikka barrel on it's lands and grooves.

Live and Learn. Take it easy guys and thank you for all your knowledge and suggestions.

Eric

Response By Email (Senior Technical Advisor) (06/08/2020 08:02 AM)
Hello Eric:

Sir, I heard back from the engineers in Finland, and they stated that the spots you are seeing are rust/corrosion. Because the barrel is corroded throughout the length of the bore, accuracy may be affected. Replacement barrels are not available, so we can only recommend that the bore be cleaned as thoroughly as possible, keep a coating of oil on it to inhibit the rust, and if the accuracy becomes unacceptable, the rifle should be replaced.

We thank you for choosing Beretta.

Best regards,

Beretta Customer Support

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm curious if this is a stainless barrel or chromoly?

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mine is the regular blued T3x lite, but I don't know if the barrel is chromoly. And honestly the outside of the gun looks great. Not a speck of rust anywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, thanks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.