Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Is anyone daily driving a long bed Super duty or similar truck ? I spotted a used one and wondering if it’ll be a PIA to daily drive . Thanks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

thats a B I G truck..........Crew Cab ?

city parking ?

under ground lots etc......

my SB crew Chevy is big enough....great on the highway

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had two regular cab long box Superduties. My two favorite trucks I’ve ever owned. When I got a new one I went with the short box so I could get a super cab and retain the same overall length. A crew cab long box won’t fit a lot of the places I go off-road.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, crew cab

No-parking Garage’s

City parking-minimally but maybe this would be an excuse not to go at all

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
All white and sleeps four

A TDOT crew cab

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Is anyone daily driving a long bed Super duty or similar truck ? I spotted a used one and wondering if it’ll be a PIA to daily drive . Thanks
Other than my motorcycles, this is my only 'daily driver':

2020 F-450 long box.. . Very easy to drive - and with the extended front axle it turns very short compared to the F-350... I just love it...

Last edited by Redneck; 06/03/20.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Redneck, wonderful truck, 450 turning sharp, wow,,, wish they had done that along time ago. I have drove 4 door trucks most of my life. in every kind of places. you will get smart about it after backing down streets a couple of times. if your a big man. nothing else works. Robert

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My Son in Law has three of them. Mine is extended cab with 8 ft box.

I used one of SIL's crew cabs to pull the boat to the lake a couple weeks ago. I would not own one. Too hard to find a parking place. Too slow to respond when backing a trailer. Too big a turn radius.

I always thought my extended cab was bad. The crew cab is much more unwieldy.

I refuse to give up the long bed, because it just ain't a truck if you can not throw 4'x8' in the back and close the tailgate. I need a 9' or 10' CO camper to sleep in when I pull the boat to the lake.

My next PU will be a standard cab if I can find one, an extended cab at the most.

You wanna see unwieldy, he has a new Ram W550 crew cab with a 12 ft flatbed. Holy 20 acres, Batman.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I plan on driving my current truck until my son is out of the house and then it’s back to the regular cab long box 3/4ton for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a LWB quad cab Dodge. In close driving, it can be a PIA sometimes, especially for parking. It seems like all the stores have reduced the size of their parking spaces. Turning in to them can be a real trick sometimes. You might have to pull forward and back a couple times when it gets real tight. It's nice to be high, though, so you can see what's around you. You can see if someone's getting ready for a left turn that will block traffic for a whlie.
For daily city driving, I wouldn't do it. This is a rural area and I can live with it here. I've had it downtown in Seattle and Portland and I'd have my preferences there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
A CCLB isn't the end of the world to get around in. Around town, get used to compromising on parking spots. The tradeoff is worth it considering capability of hauling wife and 3 kids, 4 or 5 150qt coolers full of ice, a week's worth of food and gear, and a 28' boat to the distant fish spot. I drive mine about half the year, and find myself enjoying driving it compared to the accord grocery-getter.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck

2020 F-450 long box.. . Very easy to drive - and with the extended front axle it turns very short compared to the F-350... I just love it...

And your 5th "last truck of my life" laugh

How is the front axle extended?

Love the truck!!

Last edited by tzone; 06/03/20.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know about these new 1 ton models, but in the 70s we had such a Dodge with full crew cab and an 8 ft. bed and it was my wife's favorite vehicle to drive. Plenty of space for the 4 daughters, driver was sitting up high with good traffic vision and, with PS and PB she seemed to do fine parking and maneuvering that beast. She also was comfortable driving it when our heavy camper rig was mounted in the bed - had a nice pass through for the kids from the back seat to the camper. But, must say, most parking lot spaces were wider/longer back then, and fewer vehicles in the lots, and very few parking garages - which are a problem.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone

And your 5th "last truck of my life" laugh
This one has to be, period... Only two years to retiring, then it's outta here.. The last one struggled with the camper at 18K, due to the 4:10 gears.. I ordered this one specifically to be able to pull heavy campers, and it does - with aplomb.. First trip a month ago hauling it down to Lone Rock, WI., there were some serious grades to climb between LaCrosse and Lone Rock.. I left the cruise at 55 and it went up 8% or better grades in 10th w/o dropping a gear.. The F-450s have 4:30 rears..

How is the front axle extended?

Love the truck!!

Because it's a 450 - those have extended front axles, not only for the turning radius but for extra stability etc.. My '16 had that also, but I simply ordered that one wrong at the time..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dang Redneck, that thing is a total beast.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Change your screen-name to "10-Studs". grin grin

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Reba
Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around!!!
This one really turns quite short - but that said, I still back into parking spaces so as to be able to get out easily.. But I've been doing that since my first dually in '97... Big mirrors and these tailgate cameras make it a snap...

I hope these tires wear better than the last truck's Michelins.. Never had so much trouble with tires as I had with those damn things.. This truck wears Continental HD3s; I think they're 14 ply on 19.5" rims... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I drive a long bed crew cab 3500 RAM. It is my daily driver during the winter because the extra cab short bed GMC is the plow truck then. It is a little difficult to find parking for it at times, but I do live in central MT so there is usually a lot a space outside of town to turn it around. Not the best in the mtns, but can be done. I take the GMC mostly now when I have to make short trips to town or just around the area. The RAM is more comfortable for long trips however.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mines's an '08 2500 Ram. It's clumsy in town but on the highway you can sit back and relax. Lots of room in the cab and very comfortable to drive for hours. For a DD, when Mom gave up her license in '07, I bought her Pontiac Montana. It's got 200k now, still gets 22-24 mpg, and has lots of room in the back for hauling stuff as I have all the seats out. I'll drive it until something goes wrong that costs more than it's worth.

[Linked Image from media.ed.edmunds-media.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.