-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first tube gun was made by Bill Wylde. He had no interest in commercializing it, but his friends did and sold them as the MAK tube gun. Wylde definitely predated TUBB's T2k and I believe that MAK might have as well. Eliseo picked up on the trend and followed suit. Somewhere along the line, there were other one offs. I recently bought a 788 Tube gun in 6BR off a guy that campaigned it in the South West. I'll have to dig up the history for the chronology.
I don't do PRS, but I've been reading that Tube guns are not the hot set-up. For what reason I don't know.

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/04/19.
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Depending on where you go for the match, they can vary a lot. Some have 300+ yd movers, crawling , shooting of pallets. Ranges can run from 200 to 1200 yds.

Tube guns are for another sport.

I use Sako TRGs 22, and a 42, and a Ruger precision. Optics run from Razors 5x20. Night force, and Zeiss.

Best thing is to go shoot or watch, ask questions and see if it interests you.
while high B.C. are a great asset, extreme spread in handholds or store bought is almost more important.

dealing with a 10-20 moa side wind at 1000 yds, is bad enough, but 10 moa difference in impact from extreme spread is impossible.

also 6.5s , 6. etc. go through barrels just like a 243. so barrel life is a reality. (lack of)

If you want to look at some stuff thats used go to the GAP website, Mausingfield,

Autos are not competitive, for several reasons,

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
WellI think what I`ve done will work..for now,we`ll see. I had Gary Eliseo chassie on my 40-x, which I`ve chambered in 250AI. Problem was the original set up is single shot..son and I using the tube guns for a two man steel match shot near here. I just had Gary send me a new lower assembly to accomidate detachable AI mags.
The gun is heavy, reducing felt recoil, and I had no problems seeing my impacts during the steel matches. I shoot 108gn. JLK`s close to 3150fps. 12x mil-quad SS on it.

First match here in Wi. is April 13th. We could still have snow on the ground.

Thanks for all the input.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here's my most recent update. I figured i'd try a faster 6.5; 6.5 Super LR. For years, i'd been shooting my beloved 6.5x47 running 130 and 140's in the 2730 to 2800 range. Recoil is "tolerable" to see impacts/misses. With the 6.5 Super LR, I was able to get the 140 ELD-M running at 2944. Very accurate but too much recoil. I just could't catch my impacts/misses on targets closer than 800 yds. That far out, I could get my optics back on the target in time to mostly see POI. Likely going to sell the Carbon Proof barrel and 400 pc of brass then move to a 22 or 6mm/6.5x47. With the new, longer, high BC bullets I hope to still be competitive. Keeping velocity below 3200, PRS max velocity allowed, will hopefully help with barrel life. I've talked to several competitors who shoot the big 22 and they are not complaining about their barrel life.

Alan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alan, with the 22 any concerns about seeing impact not because of recoil but actual impact?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I got the SWFA..just need the rifle! Will look into it.

Got a RAR Predator in 6CM that can be had cheap - Timney trigger in it too. And not to far to drive to get it. 8>)

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Partagas
Alan, with the 22 any concerns about seeing impact not because of recoil but actual impact?

Was just talking to one of our better and nationally known NRL shooters the other day. He shoots a 22 BR with 88 gr ELD-M's at 2990 and has zero issues seeing hits out to 1200.

Alan

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, we took the plunge and signed up for a PRS match in Wi. April 4th. We`re both gonna shoot our Eliseo tube guns, both chambered in 250 AI. He`s shooten 108 JLK`s, I`m gonna try 110 BiB`s. If nothing else, and the weather co-operates a bit, we should have fun.
Thanks for all the suggestions BTB...tho I ques I didn`t follow many?

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Now post-poned till the 25 th.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Now post-poned till the 25 th.

All sorts of matches postponed. Was really looking forward to the NRL22 Nationals just South of Nashville; postponed.

Alan

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Sorry I missed this thread..

Yep I shoot, and built a gun to —- but haven’t had time to really start.
I know a lot of guys in the business locally (GAP, Manners, Vapor Trail bullets, ..). The game is interesting, but pricey.

Frankly F-Class is an off shoot of Highpower, but with slopes and only prone so give that a look.. (a lot of the gear is the same).

I’m going to tune up my 6 creed I built for PRS, by nature I’m a tactical spot shooter, so all this weird PRS stuff (heavy rifle my arse) is a really like american marshal arts .. for compeition more than real tactical...

Anyway - yep me too, but I’m a couple years ahead of you... Buy your Kestrel yet ?

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
No Kestrel, no phone, just a home made tape on the scope...just interested in trying this out. Unless again, things change here in Wi., the match, which had been post-poned, is on again for May 16. Hopefully, my son and I will get to shoot it.
I`m not quite as flexable as I once was, so hope I don`t have to contort too much.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Provided you have your drop logged in 50 yard increments out to the furthest the range you will shoot at has targets you should be good.

Keep in mind that as things heat up your point of impact will move up...

If you haven’t ever shot with Mirage, the target is lower than it looks -aim low !!

The first thing you will learn is that you aren’t allowed to close the bolt without your cheek on the stock (safety rule at just about everywhere).
For whatever reason that screws with a person’s head.

If you have 10 round magazines, or can get them - Take’m ... or you will have to reload at some stations.

you’ll need a good bipod (harris is fine).. and a front bag for shooting off rails and boards.. a challenger bag is best - if it’s hard take some sand out of it so it conforms to what ever you put it on.

WRITE YOUR NAME on stuff that everyone has or it can grow legs ... you’ll get it back, but someone might carry 2 bags for a couple stations.

Make sure you have a sling you can take off, guns are heavy, you have to walk...

You’ll need a good backpack to throw you bags, binoc’s, ammo, ... from station to station.

BINOCULARS... you’ll need to see the layout of the targets before the course of fire begins so you aren’t looking for them when it’s your time to shoot. Many guys bring a tripod & a spotter as well.

Empty action flag ... to put in when not shooting is good.

Let them know you are a new shooter, and to call the shots for you so you can adjust your aim.... things will be more enjoyable that way.

Notice they will have different types of shooting at each station, some are one or shots per target with multiple targets at the station, others will be shoot until you miss and you are done, ....There is a briefing at each station, so pay attention to those.

Barricade stances tend to jack people up, put the bag up, put your feet back and spread square to the targets, and lean forward just a bit to put some pressure on the rifle into the bag.

It’s worth spending some bench time just getting used to chambering when a round is in an open action when you are looking through the scope at a target, and also trying the barricade stance before you get to a match.

What every you do - have fun.

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Very good info...thanks
I did a lot of H.P. when a bit younger, still like to compete, but have never done this. I have all the equipment you suggest, and my range tape on the scope is marked in 50yrd increments. The open bolt move is something I need to concentrate on...as you know rapids in H.P. do not require this.
I have been practicing, now that all the snow is gone and ground drying, I can get out with the mat and do some more.

Thanks again

BTB, what is tactical spot shooting? Suppose I could look it up.

Yep...got it.

Last edited by CGPAUL; 05/01/20.
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, we shot yesterday..weather was nice, no rain or snow. Like nothing we`ve ever shot before,was a challenge. First thing that struck us was the target layout, and the "range". Old corn field with trees and sticks every where..bino`s are a must...good tip..no neat range as in HP., targets helter-skelter, tho once spotted, easy to find when shooting. Match was very well run, no confusion, RO`s were excellent to work with as new shooters, every one was helpfull. Folks in our squad in particular. Targets ranged in distance from 240 to 760..my rifle, scope, ammo worked very well...the operator, not so much. Some brain farts. Need more pracitce with the tri-pod in unsupported positions. If counting, I came in 74th out of 100 shooters, my son at 57th. I was 6th out of 9 in the senior class.

We had a BLAST..

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Most all millennials don't have a clue what the old NRA High-power game was about....commonly called the National Match Course! Shot early on using the US Springfield, M1 Garand, M14, and now what I call the Rat Gun....for which is good for shooting turtles off logs!

Ain't got a clue!! No scopes....all iron sights which 99.9% of folks don't have a clue how to use!!

Shame Shame!!

I'm glad I cut the heart out of the best of it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Sharpsman....yes, thought I knew everything bout shooting till I shot HP. Amazing what can be done with Irons! Kicked a lot of butts in the any rifle/any sight matches.
At the time, one of my biggest thrills was to see the target carrier drop my first shot, first 1k yrd. match at Lodi, Wi.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also check out X-Ring on Youtube pretty interesting channel

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.