Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I took a test ride on a Haibike SDURO Hardtail 1.0 today and I really like this bike for hunting. It has a Yamaha mid-mount motor and is really lightweight.

But . . . you have to pedal to make it go. I was thinking of a throttle type E-Bike to go about 600 yards across a field and up a slight grade to get to my stand. Just wondering for those that use an E-Bike, do you have a throttle or a pedal assist bike? Thanks.

https://www.haibikeusa.com/sduro-hardseven-1-0-4605.html

Last edited by tpcollins; 06/03/20.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't own one but I did ride one a few weeks ago as my buddy is an avid cyclist. I believe the one I rode was a Specialized (don't quote me on that) and it is pedal assisted, I rode it down the road and had it on full battery power and holy [bleep] did that thing want to go. I couldn't peddle fast enough to keep up with it, if they weren't so damn spendy ($6k) i'd own one.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought a Quiet Kat last fall. It is a beast of a bike! Gets me where I want to go in practically total silence. Very good for bow hunting and turkey hunting! I am amazed at the power of the 1000 W motor. I think I paid about $3600 for it. It seems very well-built, rugged and durable. I would highly recommend.

Mackey

Mackey
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There was just a thread here a week or three ago. You can search by my name, I started the thread

I just bought a Trek Super Commuter +7. Its a class 1 (pedal assist) as opposed to a class 1/class 3, which usually provides the additional, thumb throttle, no peddle option.

Minenis not really an off road bike, but there might be some useful into in that thread for you.

I love mine! I put almost 100 miles on it this week. Not far, but it's getting me out of the house.

Let us know what you decide on!

Last edited by duck911; 06/03/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve converted two bikes. One is a tandem converted to a cargo bike. It uses a motor called a stokemonkey, you have to pedal and use a throttle to manually assist. You do not lose the front chainrings and it climbs like a goat. I am thinking the payload limit is about 500 lbs easily.

The other bike is a ‘95 Specialized Stumpjumper with a 1000 Watt Bafang mid-drive motor driven at 1400 W max. You can see these kits on, for instance, Lunacycle.com. The mid-drive on the very light Stumpjumper is a hoot. It will throw you off the back if you’re not careful. I ended up taming the controller a bit so I wasn’t popping wheelies all the time. The mid-drive has a throttle and/or pedal assist.

Either conversion kit including battery pack will set you back about $1000.

I do not know that you can get a commercial ebike with a throttle. You couldn’t 4 years ago. Maybe that has changed.

If you really want to get crazy, look into Cyclone motors.

EndlessSphere discussion website has a lot of good advice from experienced ebike folks. I learned a lot there.

ETA: in duck’s thread, I said the bafang w/ 42? Tooth chainring would get me to 23 mph. I put on my road tires the other day and got to 34 mph.

Last edited by huskyrunner; 06/03/20.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve seen the Lunacycle website with the Bafang mid-mount motors.

If I build my own (these would have throttle) I’d like to get a 24” mountain bike with decent tires if the sprocket hub is wide enough.

I really did like that damn Haibike I rode on today. laugh

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I saw my first Haibike yesterday getting some spare inner tubes at the bike shop. It was a work of art. Let us know what you end up with. I damn sure enjoy mine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.