Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
All,

I'm tired of my CHEAP LEE hand priming tool and decided it's time for an upgrade! I know there are quite a few out there to choose from.

Not interested in any of the bench mounted versions with priming strips, just a nice hand priming tool for smaller 50-100 round lots of ammo from time to time.

ANY advice, good or bad, is appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my RCBS tool. It has a universal shell holder, so I don’t need to keep track of which cartridge I’m priming. I think this is a plus, although the user needs to learn to insure the cartridges are properly centered.

The one downside is my hands become tired if I’m doing big batches of large primers. I find large primers require more effort to seat. I don’t really see any hand priming designs that would offer a big upgrade on mechanical advantage over the RCBS, so this is really a “feature” of hand priming.

To obtain more mechanical advantage I NG think you either need to prime on a press or worth a bench tool that provide a longer moment arm lever.

Last edited by Tannhauser; 06/03/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sinclair tool and the FA tool are both good, but the Sinclair is built better and has better leverage. The FA has a more convenient and user-friendly design.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I too like my RCBS, been using it for years.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I've been using the same Lee hand priming tool since about 1983. I wore out the link, called Lee and they sent me a new one, FREE. I've primed well over 10,000 cases with it and wouldn't even consider using anything else.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I too like my RCBS, been using it for years.

Got a couple, I like them too

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I bought a Lyman a while back because it used standard shellholders, well made, does a good job (how hard can it be) but you gotta have hands the size of a gorilla to go thru a full cycle without changing your grip. Try before you buy.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Like my universal RCBS, used for years. I really like "feeling" the primer being seated. You can't get this from a press mounted unit.

S
S
if what your looking for is quality --- without a doubt the Sinclair Tool is the best priming tool made. I have three of them and have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds with them and all of them are still like new

Gene

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I broke an RCBS. Replaced it with a Sinclair. It’s a solid tool.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really happy with my RCBS tool. I like having a tray I can load up with a couple hundred primers and go to town without having to handle primers for a while. Goes really fast and I can move on to the next step...

Never liked the press mounted primer seater as I had to handle every primer and I was often afraid I would crush the primer and have to start over again...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
21st century is the best I’ve used, and I’ve used many.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool. Comes with 11 different shell holders in the kit already! Really like mine! I believe Midway USA has them on sale right now as well!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've had 21st Century priming tool for a few years. Well made and easy to use. It lacks for nothing.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for all of the comments guys!

I really like the looks and features of the Frankfurt Arsenal tool. Having the ability to adjust the depth of the primers is a nice touch!

Any other comments or suggestions would be great!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like 21st Century or Sinclair are the best, but I stocked up on parts for my two Lee Auto Primes (with the round tray) years ago. One for small primers, one for large. I have used them for over thirty years, and don’t intend to change unless they both wear out before I do.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've used both Lee and RCBS hand priming tools. RCBS wins my vote.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow... hate for the lee crimper... Never would have thought... Still using the same one I bought in 1988... never had the first issue with it... unless I got a primer in upside down and did not see it and seated it upside down but that Is my fault...... smile

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Another vote for Sinclair. I've only owned one, but its been solid for over 25 years.

21st Century's also looks like a great tool.

Both are pricey, though.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
elkcountry,

Just curious, is your Lee hand priming tool the older version with the round tray or the current one with the triangular tray Lee sells? Seems like most are happy with the round tray version, but mixed reviews on the current one.

On another note, here's a few links to similar recent threads on the subject:

Best hand priming tool

Favorite priming tool

frankford arsenal hand primer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 39 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.