Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Released today...

Figures after I get a 6.5 Grendel they standardized a 6mm version. It isn’t just a necked down Grendel but close enough.

Looks fun and now I may end up needing another upper.

ARIC

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wish they’d done it with the TAC 6....no bolt vs limited pressure worries (the bolts may not be an issue anymore, but I’m sure the pressure is still kept lower) and same or better velocity, IIRC. Like to see how it does in 16-18....could be useful. The case head vs bolt vs pressure in an AR has always seemed like the Grendel case was hamstringing itself to me. If all else was the same, with a smaller case head/rim size, it could get out of its own way better....but it still does better than most in high BC needs/apps.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 06/03/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It looks pretty promising. Hornady claims they get 2,700 fps with the 108gr ELD match bullets, having a bc of .536. Ar performance had 20" barrels on sale for $200.00 too, but they are currently sold out. The nice thing about it is availability of components and die sets, plus factory ammo. Maybe it will gain enough popularity to make it worth while, like the 6.5 cm.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I dig it!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I dig it!

Me too. You guys probably got the emails from hornady and midsouth and other places, but the one from midsouth has a bunch of links about this new cartridge. They also have die sets. A big plus for guys looking for a good 6mm ar15. I wish my 6WOA had more support, like finding brass, die sets and load data. But WOA kinda has you bent over a barrel. Things like that will cause a cartridge to become obsolete. Hornady is doing it right with this cartridge.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks good.

Retired cat herder.

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I like the sound of it. About what I'm getting with my 6 TAC but factory dies, brass, load data. A .224 versions may be better on paper but with regulations in many states requiring a .24 for big game it checks that box.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one has me thinking I need to get into the AR game. Now the only question is buy a complete rifle or build one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkchsr
This one has me thinking I need to get into the AR game. Now the only question is buy a complete rifle or build one.

Many ways to skin that cat. You can buy a complete upper, then build the lower, or buy a complete lower, or buy the parts and assemble it yourself, as well as buy a complete rifle over the counter. Here's a link Midsouth sent me on this new cartridge:

Midsouth links to 6mm ARC

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

You know I didn't need one until you told me about it!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

You know I didn't need one until you told me about it!

Pretty sure I owed you one!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Many ways to skin that cat. You can buy a complete upper, then build the lower, or buy a complete lower, or buy the parts and assemble it yourself, as well as buy a complete rifle over the counter. Here's a link Midsouth sent me on this new cartridge:

Midsouth links to 6mm ARC

Thank you. Trying to decide the best way to go. I’d like to end up with something that is accurate enough to shoot out 400-500 yards. Looks like there are lots of good options out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JBM says that the ELD 108 has 1.3 MOA less drift at 600yds @ 2750fps MV than a Sierra 80 .224 at the same specs.
Looks useful.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I feel the same. I don’t own an AR, but with the current environment, I have been thinking it was finally time to get one. I have put it off partly because there seems to be some debate regarding the adequacy of the 5.56 and ongoing discussion of a new service round. 6mm makes sense in a lot of ways.

I was real close to just going the 5.56 route, but now I will hold off a bit to see if the 6mm ARC takes off. It looks good to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slope,

Get one now in 5.56 and buy an upper or 6 ARC barrel and bolt later. It'll work on the same lower.

Now isn't the time to delay buying an AR, IMHO.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slope77

I have put it off partly because there seems to be some debate regarding the adequacy of the 5.56 and ...

You and I are not tied to FMJ's like the Military.so I don't feel that it's an issue.

Originally Posted by Slope77
I have put it off partly because... ongoing discussion of a new service round.

Adoption of the Army's new round, rifle and SAW, is I believe like two years out... if it even happens this time. The Army has gone down this road in the past and done nothing. Though I feel this time may be different?

But, if the 6mm ARC is what moves you, go for it

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
JBM says that the ELD 108 has 1.3 MOA less drift at 600yds @ 2750fps MV than a Sierra 80 .224 at the same specs.
Looks useful.

8" less wind drift at 600 could mean a big difference in any discipline. Hunting or target shooting. I'd take it.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I played with the Grendel in several bolt rifles and one AR. I came to the conclusion that it is better to use the designed for AR cartridges in AR's and use cartridges designed for bolt guns in bolt guns. In the same short action I would have to use for a 6MM ARC I could have it chambered for other more capable 6MM's.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tag

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
I played with the Grendel in several bolt rifles and one AR. I came to the conclusion that it is better to use the designed for AR cartridges in AR's and use cartridges designed for bolt guns in bolt guns. In the same short action I would have to use for a 6MM ARC I could have it chambered for other more capable 6MM's.

I dont see a need for it in a bolt gun. Too many good options readily available for it. In the AR platform, however, is where it will shine. Something a lot of the other guys in the other forums dont get is how limited of a selection we have with the AR15. We are limited to a certain oal (2.255" generally) on our ammo, so it feeds reliability. A lot of guys dont want to buy an ar 10, either, because they are bigger and heavier than a similarly built ar15. We have a better selection of ammo with the ar10, but the drawbacks literally outweigh the benefits at times.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
214 members (2UP, 257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 22 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.