Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wrgale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I am looking for feedback on the Tikka T3X Superlite in 300 win Mag vs a Browning Abolt/Xbolt. Any feedback would be great. Also what manufacturer do you prefer for a muzzle brake on the Tikka.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In that cartridge, I'd go xbolt. Longer mag length and better twist on the barrels, 10" or 8" depending on the rifle, vs. 11" in the tikka.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tikka beats the Xbolt in lightness and accuracy. Xbolt has a nicer magazine for sure.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve used both and much prefer the Browning X-bolt. I now have 2 of the Hells Canyon Speed models. One in 7mm-08 and one in 300 WSM. The Tikka and the Browning will both shoot great but the Browning feels better in my hands.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Browning xbolt would be my choice.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both and I prefer the X-Bolt. Both are plenty accurate but I prefer the ergos of the X-Bolt.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
R
R
I have a Browning X-bolt Western Hunter in 300 win mag. It’s a good shooter and a nice weight for carrying even with the 26in barrel. The magazines allows for long cartridge overall length and the factory muzzle break is effective in reducing recoil. Nice package.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A few years back on this site Browning was a basstard step child. I like them both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve owned/own both and prefer the Tikka.

You ain't about that life.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have both X-Bolts and a Tikka T3, but cannot decide which one that I like better. I find the accuracy, stocks, rifle weight, triggers and durability to be about equal. I like the tang safety, magazine and the ability to open the bolt with the safety on, on the X-Bolt. I like the slightly smoother action and ease of stripping the bolt assembly on the Tikka. I believe there is no wrong choice between the 2. RJ

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I prefer the Tikka T3X!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have also owned many of both and found them equal in accuracy and function. I like certain features better about each rifle but the ability to easily strip the bolt in the T3x makes the difference for Me, I'd go with the T3x......Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have also owned many of both and found them equal in accuracy and function. I like certain features better about each rifle but the ability to easily strip the bolt in the T3x makes the difference for Me, I'd go with the T3x......Hb

A-bolt and X-Bolt are not too terribly difficult to take apart. Little more effort then a Rem 700

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah, I have also field stripped the Browning A/X bolts, similar to Remington just not as easy, and certainly not as easy as others like the T3, Sako and Model 70......Hb

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here is my completely non-objective opinion.

Both have a great bolt-throw, but while the Tikka is a bit smoother, I give the win to the Browning for a 60-degree, vs. a 75-degree throw.

Trigger: Win to the Tikka. I have yet to see a better non-[bleep] with factory trigger than the Tikka and it just gets better over time.

Stock: Win to the Browning (for me). The ergonomics of the Browning stocks fit me much better than the Tikka and it seems to be a bit stiffer.

Magazine/feeding: Tie. I like the mags on each of them equally. While I think that the looks of the hinged floorplate of the Browning looks better, looks are not function. I cannot comment on mag lengths, but if the magnum mags are similar in construction to the short-action mags, then both are lacking in OAL to load the good bullets long.

Aftermarket: Advantage Tikka. More and more people are finding out Tikkas are great and are coming out with aftermarket parts for them. The market for aftermarket Browning parts isn't as good.

Barrel Twist: Browning has a 1:10", Tikka a 1:11". Conventional wisdom says the the Browning will allow you to shoot heavier bullets. Real world: Unless you are shooting the long bearing surface Bergers or similar, you won't see a noticeable difference between the two.

Weight: Both of them are going to pound the sheite out of you as the both come in at less than 7lbs (6.5 for the Tikka SS Lite and 6# 13 oz for the Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker).

So, I guess it is a toss up. The Tikka is going to be a bit less $$ so I would probably go that route so that you have more money for optics.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Oh yea, the X-Bolt has absolutely flush fitting mags with a 4 round capacity, 5 rounds for 223 size cartridges. RJ

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Browning X bolt Hells Canyon with the McM stock in 6.5 CM. It is a very accurate rifle out of the box. Easily 3/4" MOA at 100 yards with factory ammo. Point being, don't think that Tikka is the only accurate out of the box factory rifle out there. I bought a Timney trigger for it and I couldn't be happier.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Point being, don't think that Tikka is the only accurate out of the box factory rifle out there.

Totally agree. With the accuracy I am seeing coming out of even "budget" guns, I think that Remington is the only manufacturer that hasn't gotten on the "we have to make accurate rifles" bandwagon and I think that is due to the internal problems they are having.

Where Tikka has the advantage is the trigger. Their factory triggers are quite good. Just about everyone else requires some "tweaking" or replacement.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Got an A bolt and Tikka T3, Two very good rifles. Pick one.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
In My experience Browning rifles have been the most accurate out of the box rifle, and I have owned dozens of new bolt action rifles over the last 30 years including multiple Tikka rifles along with Weatherby Mark V's, Sako 75/85, Remington 700's, Model Sevens, Ruger 77's and Hawkeye's (these have been least accurate followed by Weatherby) Kimber's, Winchester Mod 70's and probly a few other brands..oh yeah a few CZ 527's 😁......Hb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.