L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.military.com/daily-news...continuously-serving-ranger-dies-77.html

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Patrick Gavin Tadina is pictured here in an undated photo wearing North Vietnamese Army fatigues and carrying an AK-47. He died May 29, 2020, at age 77. (Facebook via Catherine Poeschl)

A 30-year Army veteran who was the longest continuously serving Ranger in Vietnam and one of the war's most decorated enlisted soldiers has died.

Patrick Gavin Tadina served in Vietnam for over five years straight between 1965 and 1970, leading long range reconnaissance patrols deep into enemy territory -- often dressed in black pajamas and sandals, and carrying an AK-47.

The retired command sergeant major died Friday morning in North Carolina. He was 77.

"Early this morning my Dad ... took his last breaths and went to be with all the Rangers before him," his daughter Catherine Poeschl said on Facebook. "I know they are all there waiting for him."

He is survived by his wife, two sisters, two daughters, four sons, six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, the family said in a brief online obituary. A funeral had not yet been scheduled.

A native of Hawaii, Tadina earned two Silver Stars, 10 Bronze Stars -- seven with valor -- three Vietnamese Crosses of Gallantry, four Army Commendation Medals, including two for valor, and three Purple Hearts.

After the release of the second Rambo movie, he was profiled in Stars and Stripes, where he was contrasted with Sylvester Stallone's beefy -- often shirtless -- portrayal of a Vietnam combat veteran.

"The real thing comes in a smaller, less glossy package," wrote reporter Don Tate in December 1985. "Tadina stands just over 5-feet-5, and swells all the way up to 130 pounds after a big meal."

His small stature and dark complexion helped him pass for a Viet Cong soldier on patrols deep into the Central Highlands, during which he preferred to be in the point position. His citations describe him walking to within feet of enemies he knew to be lying in wait for him and leading a pursuing enemy patrol into an ambush set by his team.

In Vietnam he served with the 173rd Airborne Brigade Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, 74th Infantry Detachment Long Range Patrol and Company N (Ranger), 75th Infantry.

Tadina joined the Army in 1962 and served in the Dominican Republic before going to Southeast Asia. He also served with the 82nd Airborne Division in Grenada during Operation Urgent Fury in 1983 and with the 1st Infantry Division during Operation Desert Storm in 1991.

A 1995 inductee into the Ranger Hall of Fame, he served with "extreme valor," never losing a man during his years as a team leader in Vietnam, a hall of fame profile at Fort Benning said.

Some 200 men had served under him without "so much as a scratch," said a newspaper clipping his daughter shared, published while Tadina was serving at Landing Zone English in Vietnam's Binh Dinh province, likely in 1969.

Tadina himself was shot three times and his only brother was also killed in combat in Vietnam, Stars and Stripes later reported.

The last time he was shot was during an enemy ambush in which he earned his second Silver Star, and the wounds nearly forced him to be evacuated from the country, the LZ English story said.

As the point man, Tadina was already inside the kill zone when he sensed something was wrong, but the enemy did not fire on him, apparently confused about who he was, the article stated. After spotting the enemy, Tadina opened fire and called out the ambush to his teammates before falling to the ground and being shot in both calves.

He refused medical aid and continued to command until the enemy retreated, stated another clipping, quoting from his Silver Star citation.

"When you're out there in the deep stuff, there's an unspoken understanding," he told Tate in 1985. "It's caring about troops."

He was not one to boast of his experiences, his daughter said in a phone interview Monday.

After retiring from the Army in 1992, he continued working security jobs until 2013, Poeschl said, including stints in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

In recent years, he'd been struggling with dementia and other ailments, she said, and he often believed he was back in the Army with his buddies.

He always seemed most at home with his "Ranger family," his daughter said. She was trying to get word of his death to as many as she could.

"He was my dad, but he belonged to so many other people," she said.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RIP WARRIOR!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
RIP, Warrior.

May G*dspeed.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's one bad ass dude, in the same league as Roy Benevidez.

God Bless the Great Warrior!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good man for sure.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well done, Ranger!
RIP Sir🇺🇸

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Respect. Godspeed, CSM Tadina.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that’s a man the country should mourn. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
God speed, Ranger!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Lennie
https://www.military.com/daily-news...continuously-serving-ranger-dies-77.html

Patrick Gavin Tadina served in Vietnam for over five years straight between 1965 and 1970, leading long range reconnaissance patrols deep into enemy territory -- often dressed in black pajamas and sandals, and carrying an AK-47.

A native of Hawaii, Tadina earned two Silver Stars, 10 Bronze Stars -- seven with valor -- three Vietnamese Crosses of Gallantry, four Army Commendation Medals, including two for valor, and three Purple Hearts.

His small stature and dark complexion helped him pass for a Viet Cong soldier on patrols deep into the Central Highlands, during which he preferred to be in the point position. His citations describe him walking to within feet of enemies he knew to be lying in wait for him and leading a pursuing enemy patrol into an ambush set by his team.

Some 200 men had served under him without "so much as a scratch," said a newspaper clipping his daughter shared, published while Tadina was serving at Landing Zone English in Vietnam's Binh Dinh province, likely in 1969.

Tadina himself was shot three times
The last time he was shot was during an enemy ambush in which he earned his second Silver Star, and the wounds nearly forced him to be evacuated from the country, the LZ English story said.

As the point man, Tadina was already inside the kill zone when he sensed something was wrong, but the enemy did not fire on him, apparently confused about who he was, the article stated. After spotting the enemy, Tadina opened fire and called out the ambush to his teammates before falling to the ground and being shot in both calves.

He refused medical aid and continued to command until the enemy retreated, stated another clipping, quoting from his Silver Star citation.

"When you're out there in the deep stuff, there's an unspoken understanding," he told Tate in 1985. "It's caring about troops."

He was not one to boast of his experiences, his daughter said in a phone interview Monday.

This man was one of the finest soldiers who has ever served. He was a true leader who lead by example and took great care of those he lead. Had he been captured, he would have never come home.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CSM Tadina was my platoon sgt on my 1st tour in the 82nd Abn, FT Bragg, 1972. He was a newly promoted E-7 (SFC) then and one hell of a Soldier. Everyone respected him. We became buddies off-duty, because we both drove MGs. Most weekends found us tinkering on our cars at his off-post trailer. In those days, the 82nd was full of Viet Nam heroes, just back from SE Asia. Tadina was 1st among equals in that group.
Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RGK
CSM Tadina was my platoon sgt on my 1st tour in the 82nd Abn, FT Bragg, 1972. He was a newly promoted E-7 (SFC) then and one hell of a Soldier. Everyone respected him. We became buddies off-duty, because we both drove MGs. Most weekends found us tinkering on our cars at his off-post trailer. In those days, the 82nd was full of Viet Nam heroes, just back from SE Asia. Tadina was 1st among equals in that group.
Bob

When I first read the post I was wondering if someone from here had served under him, very cool.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting....

I've met others like him within my life time....our nation and military is diminished when we lose another one of those men..

When my mom passed last January (2019), she was interned at Riverside National Cemetery.. They assign an employee or volunteer for each service.. Assigned for my mom was a Filipino guy, about 5'6", and talk about a gentleman, a very humble man...He asked me was I a veteran, and also of my brother, who wasn't...

I asked him that he must also be a fellow veteran... same age as me...retired CSM, Special Forces...and here he is busy calling me "sir"...that's what most of these elite guys are like...funny afterwards we struck up a conversation about our high school years...both of us wanted to be pilots and built a million model airplanes growing up.. we were even talking about kits, which we both were so familiar with...

Wish I remember the guys name...

Just like CSM Tadina....I was in the presence of a real hero.. and the thing that stuck out most was how humble he was...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

That’s very cool RGK, you were fortunate that you were able to associate yourself with such a hero, thank you for your service to our country.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
"He was my dad, but he belonged to so many other people," she said

Damm allergies....

RIP CSM.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Passed on knowledge and experience for sure.
Been going on since Valley forge.
Leaders always groom the next generation.
Its good to be part of that chain.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Warrior of the highest order. RIP Sergeant Major.🙏

C
CMP Offline
C
RGK
I saw that you said you knew my father in 1972 and hung out with him off base with him. I was wondering if you might have any pictures. At the time we lived off base I believe off Murchasin rd. In Fayetteville

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Slow Hand Salute....

You have earned your respite...

RLTW

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CMP
RGK
I saw that you said you knew my father in 1972 and hung out with him off base with him. I was wondering if you might have any pictures. At the time we lived off base I believe off Murchasin rd. In Fayetteville

Let me check...I remember the trailer on Murchison Rd. Probably before you were born. Damn, that was a LONG time ago.
Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,741
Posts18,457,686
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.