Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guy at the range had one on rifle this morning.
Don't see them mentioned by the proponents of red dot sights here.

Are they worth anything?

Are they new and unknown?

Anybody know what they cost?

FWIW the one I saw this morning got knocked off the shooting bench and was scuffed up pretty good. Still worked ok...

Last edited by johnw; 06/03/20.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

ARIC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one from Palmetto. I think it was 130 bucks.
My buddy is out of work and I gifted it to him for a AR pistol he was building. I used it a range a couple of times, but I prefer some magnification, so it was easy to give up. Seemed OK, so I think it is worth a try for the price.
I

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have one on my AR works great smal & l light! I used it to take a doe last November, at about 65-70yrds Think I got it off Ebay for $125.00

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have 3 or them here.

They work well for a non-top end optic; not the same as an Eotech or a Meprolight RDS, but OK for normal use.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve been curious about them as well. With Sig offering three different Romeo 5’s it is somewhat confusing!

One too many hobbies....
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Romeo 4H on my M&P AR 15-22, figured it was perfect for a toy. So far everything has worked as advertised and it’s held zero perfectly.

There is some confusion as to what it really is, Holosun, Primary Arms and Sigs all look very similar and all have about the same reviews, range toys that work fine and might not be a bad option on real use guns. FBI approved one of the Sigs for duty use. I don’t think I’d give up an Aimpoint for one but I like mine just fine.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TWR
Holosun, Primary Arms and Sigs all look very similar

I believe Holosun is the manufacturer for all of them.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Actually I've read that another unnamed source is manufacturing all of them, not Holosun but who knows?

I saw the Sig rep state that some of the newer ones were designed and assembled in US but no mention of where it's made and how do you design a product already in existence?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I thought I had a prob with mine. Talked to Sig & they were super ready to help with free shipper & a look see. With their recommendations for things to check, I don't think I have a problem with mine & passed on shipping. The way I was treated, I'll look at their stuff again.

Romeo 5's are available in at least 2 battery options, so 2 part numbers at least . Would I run one in Mogadishu, no cause I ain't goin there. But a neat & sturdy unit for general purpose.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It ain't a meprolight.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got one that I’ve put on a couple of different builds. No issues with it so far, but I do prefer some magnification. I put a Cabela’s 1-4x24 AR scope on my .223 Wylde that I prefer over the Romeo 5.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had one for a while. As a sub $200 dot sight it is one of the better choices. But a 1-4X scope does EVERYTHING better, isn't much bigger, heavier, or expensive. I'm through with dot sights on rifles. I MIGHT be talked into trying one of the smaller versions on a handgun.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by JMR40
I had one for a while. As a sub $200 dot sight it is one of the better choices. But a 1-4X scope does EVERYTHING better, isn't much bigger, heavier, or expensive. I'm through with dot sights on rifles. I MIGHT be talked into trying one of the smaller versions on a handgun.

I like the idea of a lighted reticle scope. Even owned one, a bushnell, 20 years ago or so. Worked great calling coyotes in low light.
But compared to the romeo 5 or the aimpoint micro they aren't even close in weight or size. Looked at several 1-4x scopes and they were all 17 oz and up without rings/mounts.

Would like to see Leupold put a red dot reticle on their 2.5X compact scope and see what it weighs. It's a 6.5 oz scope as is.

I'm just getting to the point where I'm thinking of a red dot on a rifle. I'm gonna put a 9 oz carry handle sight on my AR today. I can see the attraction of a red dot weighing 1/3 to 1/2 of that.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by johnw

Originally Posted by JMR40

I like the idea of a lighted reticle scope. Even owned one, a bushnell, 20 years ago or so. Worked great calling coyotes in low light.
But compared to the romeo 5 or the aimpoint micro they aren't even close in weight or size. Looked at several 1-4x scopes and they were all 17 oz and up without rings/mounts.

Would like to see Leupold put a red dot reticle on their 2.5X compact scope and see what it weighs. It's a 6.5 oz scope as is.

I'm just getting to the point where I'm thinking of a red dot on a rifle. I'm gonna put a 9 oz carry handle sight on my AR today. I can see the attraction of a red dot weighing 1/3 to 1/2 of that.

Red dots are nice, but you are going to be asking us to diagnose your poor groups with that as well. I still think you need a proper "proven" scope on your AR to see how it's really doing.. Unless you can throw down multiple sub 2" 10 shot groups with another iron sight rifle, to see that you can shoot irons.. I'm seeing you talking about Leupold, shaking head here..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was actually discussing weight.

Curious as to what your best shooting rifle weighs?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one on my 9mm AR Pistol. Great sight for a pistol, AR or large revolver. There are many good choices in the red dot market, but I’d buy another if I found one on sale.

Last edited by Dr_Lou; 06/16/20.

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have more than a dozen and they run the gamut. I've beat THE fhuqk out of them and in all weathers...though I DO enjoy The Melting Snowflakes "reports". Hint. LAUGHING!

They are on pistols,rifles and all things in between.

You Fhuqktards are a HOOT!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...………………...

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I have more than a dozen and they run the gamut. I've beat THE fhuqk out of them and in all weathers...though I DO enjoy The Melting Snowflakes "reports". Hint. LAUGHING!

They are on pistols,rifles and all things in between.

You Fhuqktards are a HOOT!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...………………...

Which model? Thanks.

One too many hobbies....
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Stick. Good recommend...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And thanks to all who chipped in on their experience with the R5.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.