Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
A Model 25 pump TD has come up for sale in my area. Well used, no blueing left, just patina. It has a crack in the wrist of the stock.

I know nothing about these. Anyone with any experience with these rifles? Anything to watch out for? Known defects?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FSJeeper

You've already discovered the main issue with these, the wrist cracks. I would ask to see dummies cycled through the gun and ask for a firing tests unless it is dirt cheap. Do check the bore.

They were only produced for a short time, about 1925 to 1929, give or take. There were early and late versions, usually identified by whether the fore end screws were all on the right side (early) or one on each side (later).

Sav22 is way more knowledgeable on any of these pumps from Savage so standby to see what he has to say. Don't plan on using high velocity ammo with this if you get it. Cool old guns, I have 2, one early and one later version. Both are cracked.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks,

They are a good looking pump rifle and the fact they takedown is an attractive feature.

Are they known to be accurate?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Accuracy depends on the condition of the bore.

Make sure the lifter operates correctly, I have found a couple with feeding issues. One was an easy fix but the other was a major project.

Something to be aware of with the take-down feature is that to put the gun back together the hammer must be cocked and the action partially open or you will become very frustrated - but don't store the gun taken down with the action partially open or the bolt could fall out. They will slip close so you do not have to dry fire to un-cock them, open the action most of the way and pull the trigger as you close it, the hammer will follow the bolt and slowly drop as the action closes.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FSJeeper

Savage knew how to rifle a barrel. It'll shoot minute of tree rat all else being equal. Don't expect bug holes. I thought the takedown would be cool too but don't ever use it except to clean the guns. As Gene noted above, putting them back together can be tricky so I try not to do that very much.

Gene, sorry about my confusion on the board name thing. You know who I meant. grin

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.