Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Just bought my first ever LT tires for a 4x4 6 cylinder Tacoma. BFG All Terrains. E rated sidewalls. (Came with passenger car tires from the dealer.)

Discount Tire mounted the All Terrains at 35 psi, the service guy recommended 38-40 for normal driving and up to 45 in the rear when I've got my camping trailer hitched (400+- lb tongue weight) and camping gear in the bed.

I know some of you guys have been running them for years. Does that pressure range seem about right?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That is what i run mine at.

The ride when not loaded is better at 35.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What he said...load range E tires have a very stiff sidewall, and at max pressure will feel almost like solid tires with no load condition...will rattle your fillings loose on a washboard road...

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Want to get maximum EVEN wear? google up tire chalk test.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got load range E tires on my dodge diesel and my toyota tundra. They'll take up to 80 psi for maximum load handling but as said they'll jar your teeth out empty at that pressure, I only run the dodge at that when I've got the gooseneck behind it with a heavy load. The tundra I usually run at 35 psi but for long trips I'll pump them up to 40 because it gets a little better gas mileage, it's at the expense of a bit of ride quality though.

On something as light as a Taco 35 is plenty. Maybe add some as the tire guy said if you're pulling something but with a trailer that light it isn't going to make much difference. Those tires are overkill for a taco to tell the truth, but they're tough and sure cut down on the punctures & sidewall cuts.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I ran 35 to 40 on my LT's when I had a tacoma. not a very quiet ride but lasted around 50 k with quite a bit of off road

Last edited by ribka; 06/04/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Thanks, guys.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
On the 3/4 ton, I bump em up to 80 psi, when I have 3 ton of cargo in the bed.

Then even on a 6500 lb pickup, they go right back to 35-40 for daily driving.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start here.. It’s for Toyo but the data crosses to all brands. Pay close attention to page 11. You must run MORE air pressure in an LT to get the same load rating than you do an equivalent P rated tire. The only way to tell is to run the numbers. Most folks think that you run less pressure than you ran in the P metric tires because the LT’s are stronger and ride rougher. They are wrong.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My 4 Runner sees dirt forest service roads, that have a lot of crushed rock on them, which can puncture tires easily if passenger tires...so I have 245 /75/16s on it....E Rated....

according to our Alignment and suspension expert at the local College Automotive program, he and the other instructors, recommend more Air in tires, that tire shops do, as the tire shops are looking at ride quality or softness...

I run 40 psi on my cars... and on the 4 Runner, I run 45 in the front tires and 60 in the rear tires... each tire is rated at 80 make psi....I have 1500 lb overload springs on the 4 Runner also... so it rides like a brick anyway....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
I'm 35-40 psi depending on scenario. 09 4x4 access cab 4 cylinder on 235/85r16 E

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Curious question for all; what is the reasoning behind running E rate tires on a smaller truck with light payloads when compare to the tire's capabilities? Are Standard Load rated tires not efficient enough to match most manufacturer's prescribed limits?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you drive much off road, or even on rough gravel forest service roads an E rated tire will hold up much better and have fewer punctures. Especially in the sidewall. You don't NEED an E rated tire even on a 1/2 ton for the weight. The standard P rated tires, inflated correctly, will carry more weight than the trucks are rated for.

I moved to E rated tires on both my Tacoma and F150 for that reason. I've ruined a few P rated tires driving on some rougher gravel roads over the years. So far the tougher tires have stood up to the roads.

If you look at the sticker on the drivers door, or door jamb there is a recommended pressure for P rated tires. On a Tacoma it is 29 front, 32 rear IIRC. Even with E rated tires that isn't a bad place to start. But that recommendation is for unloaded trucks If you're hauling any weight 35 seems about right. There is no reason for more air in a Tacoma. I run right at 40 PSI in my F150 with E rated tires. I find the ride to be slightly more firm, but not uncomfortable at all. In fact I find the ride of the factory P series tires too soft.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Curious question for all; what is the reasoning behind running E rate tires on a smaller truck with light payloads when compare to the tire's capabilities? Are Standard Load rated tires not efficient enough to match most manufacturer's prescribed limits?

I bought 2 sets over the years. My main reason was sidewall puncture. For me the ride and mileage decrease was not worth the heavier tire. I try to get heavier tires in the C range, again for durability. The narrow forest roads are decent, but the problem is going into a drainage hole on the edge of the roads when another car is coming at you.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yeah, I can completely buy the ruggedness gained by the E rated 10-ply construction. I am just unsure of the ride quality and other aspects one may sacrifice to get the ruggedness, though it may be a very thankful trade-off instead of being left with a flat.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Want to get maximum EVEN wear? google up tire chalk test.

Good advise

I run 34-35....

won't run P rated tires any more on my trucks

E are heavier yes...better constructed.....but not indestructable

A few yrs back on the wife's Tacoma..nearly new E rated 16" KO2's..maybe 4K miles

Hit a bolt laying on hwy....I now buy road hazard with the tires

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Our Tacoma. that is my wife's daily driver, hardly ever gets off pavement except on the county road were we live. Most it ever carries is groceries. I have usually run the E load rating Coopers on it , but at 29 pounds front and 30 in back. Even then it jars your teeth . Probably going back to C ratings next set of tires it gets.

At out age, comfortable ride is more important than long lasting mileage.

If we need a truck, we use the Chevy Duramax

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Contact Goodyear and they can tell you the correct pressure to run in your tires. Discount Tire doesn't have the slightest idea how much pressure to run in a tire that's a difference size than the original equipment tire. I have Toyo LT295/65R20 tires on my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and had a flat on the right rear a couple of weeks ago caused by a big screw. I got it fixed at Discount and checked the air pressure when I got home. Toyo recommends 35 psi cold light load and 51 psi cold heavy load in the rear tires, Discount had put 100 psi in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been running Yokohama Geolanders in my new truck and my last truck and I always have to move up a size to get the E rated tires. One of the reasons I went with the Yokohamas is the highway ride is excellent (and quiet) even with the E rated tires and the AT G015 tires have excellent snow and ice traction and very good to excellent traction on wet dirt , loose gravel, and other conditions I encounter while hunting and fishing. Puncture resistance has also been excellent. A few years ago, my brother had two flats driving on rocky roads with his Taco... and , of course, he only had one spare so we had to make a 150 mile round trip with him to get a couple tires replaced in town so he could rescue his truck.. So far, I have been very happy with these tires and the service and pricing I have gotten from Discount Tire.

One thing about Discount Tire that some people don't know is they are a subsidiary of Discount Tire Direct, their online presence. If you want the best pricing, check their online store for pricing before going to the brick and mortar store and know what the pricing is on the tire you decide on. The store managers will look it up on line if you're not happy with the price they offer and honor the pricing online, which at times can be a substantial savings. Last time I bought tires for my truck I saved over $200 on the set by doing this...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Those tires are overkill for a taco to tell the truth, but they're tough and sure cut down on the punctures & sidewall cuts.

And that's why they're not overkill. (grin)

This Taco is going to start being used more like a truck and less like a car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.