Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of course I just built a 243 LBC last year...lol

Dan

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I picked up an Aero stripped lower and an Aero lower kit to with it this afternoon. I went with a Luth-AR MBA-1 rifle stock and I ordered dies and brass from Midsouth. I think I’m going to watch for a complete upper to finish it off. Looking forward to playing with this one.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hornady has on their website a list of suppliers who have supposedly gotten on board with this cartridge release, providing the various items necessary to build complete rifles. Some well known names, some I've never heard of. But then, I am not "ear to the ground" when it comes to ARs. I will say that I have been thinking of building a dedicated rifle for hunting/target purposes, and NOT chambered in .223/5.56. While wading through the various options and the pros/cons of each, this cartridge snuck up on me. I like what I hear, and am tempted to buy in to the initial hype. I think Hornady tends to do the groundwork on "their" cartridges pretty well. Maybe I am mistaken, but I think they've hit more home runs than fouls as of late.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dantheman

Dan

I built two and have no regrets. The new cartridge may be available as a factory load, but I'd still shoot only handloads no matter what. One benefit is that there will at least be some data available that is close to 6mm AR...but the new factory round will have less case capacity and therefore more conservative max loads. At least we'll have another clue to consider.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Hornady has on their website a list of suppliers who have supposedly gotten on board with this cartridge release, providing the various items necessary to build complete rifles. Some well known names, some I've never heard of. But then, I am not "ear to the ground" when it comes to ARs. I will say that I have been thinking of building a dedicated rifle for hunting/target purposes, and NOT chambered in .223/5.56. While wading through the various options and the pros/cons of each, this cartridge snuck up on me. I like what I hear, and am tempted to buy in to the initial hype. I think Hornady tends to do the groundwork on "their" cartridges pretty well. Maybe I am mistaken, but I think they've hit more home runs than fouls as of late.....

Kaiser Norton

I would say you are right as rain on that one. I really liked the idea of a 6mm ar a while back, so I opted to buy a 6WOA. There is damn near no support with that one. You only have one choice of dies, and you have to beg WOA for load data.. I'll buy a 6mm ARC and be a whole hell of a lot happier..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rickt300
I played with the Grendel in several bolt rifles and one AR. I came to the conclusion that it is better to use the designed for AR cartridges in AR's and use cartridges designed for bolt guns in bolt guns. In the same short action I would have to use for a 6MM ARC I could have it chambered for other more capable 6MM's.

Umm, the Grendel (and the current 6 ARC, and all it's 6mm Grendel wildcat predecessors) are cartridges designed for ARs. That's why they're the length they are, instead of something longer (for hunting/varmint guns) or shorter (for benchrest). What makes you think they were designed for bolt actions?

Last edited by Yondering; 06/05/20.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Dantheman

Dan

I built two and have no regrets. The new cartridge may be available as a factory load, but I'd still shoot only handloads no matter what. One benefit is that there will at least be some data available that is close to 6mm AR...but the new factory round will have less case capacity and therefore more conservative max loads. At least we'll have another clue to consider.

This, no regrets from me either, and I ordered another blank yesterday to build a third (a 12.5" this time, already have a 19" hunting setup and a 24" long range setup).

For a guy who handloads, the standard Grendel necked down to 6mm is easier than bumping the shoulder back too (and dealing with the resulting donut in the neck), and good Lapua brass is available for the Grendel, not so much for the ARC. For the handloader I think something like the 243 LBC is the better option, while still being able to take advantage of all the improvements that will come in magazines and more bullet options.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yondering
I played with the Grendel in several bolt rifles and one AR. I came to the conclusion that it is better to use the designed for AR cartridges in AR's and use cartridges designed for bolt guns in bolt guns. In the same short action I would have to use for a 6MM ARC I could have it chambered for other more capable 6MM's.

Umm, the Grendel (and the current 6 ARC, and all it's 6mm Grendel wildcat predecessors) are cartridges designed for ARs. That's why they're the length they are, instead of something longer (for hunting/varmint guns) or shorter (for benchrest). What makes you think they were designed for bolt actions?

I basically asked rickt300 the same thing in an earlier post. I think I tried to explain why we get the short end of the stick when choosing a good 6mm AR15 cartridge. Also, brought up guys pizzing and moaning about the 6mm ARC in the hunting rifle forums, saying it brings nothing new to the table. "Other cartridges are better", so they say. One guy even commented about his 6x45 being an equivalent. I also called bs on that statement. I also stated why this cartridge will succeed big time and its about time we get a good 6mm cartridge we can use in our AR15's, without having to go to a bigger heavier AR10, or a wildcat with no support. Yeah, this cartridge doesn't have the poop of the 243 winchester, but this cartridge was designed for an AR15, not the AR10. Also for your statement above, there will be more "better" brass available for the 6mmARC. Trust me on that one..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't keep up with these 6mm AR cartridges much. Which ones support mag-length loading of 105+gr bullets?

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
IMO Hornady just wants to sell more ammo. Did the Army really pick up on this round like I heard? That could make a difference. I'd rather have a Grendel myself. More bullets are available in 6.5 nowadays with better BC's. Brass is readily available. Just another sales pitch from Hornady. They can't let Nosler out-new cartridge them.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I never said they were, all I meant was that they are designed for and at their best in the AR15 platform. I am waiting patiently for a good upper to come my way in 6MM ARC. Probably play with it for a while and go on to the next cool cartridge. Still have my Grendel upper and like it. However 2700 fps and a good BC bullet might just replace it.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
IMO Hornady just wants to sell more ammo. Did the Army really pick up on this round like I heard? That could make a difference. I'd rather have a Grendel myself. More bullets are available in 6.5 nowadays with better BC's. Brass is readily available. Just another sales pitch from Hornady. They can't let Nosler out-new cartridge them.

Well, they ARE a business. That said, I look at what they've accomplished with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the success that has become. When I look at the wealth of loads available for that cartridge at the local Funstore, the only thing that is comparable is the .223/5.56. The way I see it, they brought the Creedmoor out as a target cartridge, put out a wealth of options for it, and fully supported it (Listening Remington? Do you hear the .260 crying in shame). Then they got Name shooters/builders on board and built a following for it. Viola...success. Looks to me they are trying to follow the same blueprint with this cartridge. Maybe it'll fly, maybe it won't - time will tell.

Kaiser Norton

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I never said they were, all I meant was that they are designed for and at their best in the AR15 platform..... .

That was exactly my take on your post above.... There infinite options with bolt rifles.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
does it use 5.56 mags, or need special magazines?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

The 6mm ARC uses special Grendel magazines. The case is too fat for 223 magazines. There are some good options.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

The 6mm ARC uses special Grendel magazines. The case is too fat for 223 magazines. There are some good options.

Brand recommendations, please!

Kaiser Norton

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N

Kaiser Norton

I’ve been using ”C Products Defense” 10 round magazines with my Grendel. I’ve had no feeding or function issues with them and I shoot suppressed which means they get extra dirty.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Kaiser Norton

I'd try ASC mags as well. I use them for my 6WOA. They work very well... I also use another brand, but can't think of it at the moment... These are steel mags and I've never had any problems with them..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Considering gas systems, any thoughts what would work for this? Or other considerations taking a 5.56 upper changing barrel and bolt. Are maybe just changing from a 6.5 Grendel.

Faxon at Brownells will have Mid length for 16 and 18".

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 06/06/20.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If going 18"+, I'd go with a rifle length gas system. You can also use an adjustable gas block like a lot of guys here run, or without an adjustable gas block and just run an H2 buffer, or something in the 4-4.7 oz. weight range. You could also use a captured spring system like JP or the Armaspec stealth.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.