-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy, Bob, had a high-end brain surgeon for a cousin. Bob was a gun writer, so the surgeon asked Bob what his choice was for a self-defense gun. Without hesitation, Bob said a Ruger SP101. A few months later, the surgeon had a home invasion and popped she popped the perp with the SP101.

When it came time to buy a pistol for KYHillChick, I knew Bob would give similar advice. KYHillChick carries an SP101. At home, it never leaves her side.

Me? I'm a 12 GA guy. I've got a Rem 1100 with a deer barrel by the bed. I'd reach for it before the Ruger P90 (45 ACP) that's also close by. The first round is #6 birdshot. The next round is #4 buck. It gets progressively bigger. The last round is deer slug.

For a beginner? I personally think an AR is a bit daunting for a newbie. I've got an SKS at the farm because I might want to reach out a bit further. Son #2, Moose has a nice Ruger Mini-30 that he got from Bob's estate. That is an excellent piece of work. Personally I think both the SKS and the Mini-14 and Mini-30 are easier for beginners to grasp.

10/22? I'm not a big fan of 22 for self-defense. Yes, you may drop them. There are plenty of instances where it has happened like that. I'd be scared of the 22 not getting the job done fast enough. I've got a 30-Carbine flash hider on mine. It's there to as a damper and reduces the size of my groups, but it appears to the uninitiated that I've got something with a 80 caliber maw on it. It's intimidating visually, but I've never used it as a home defense weapon.

I mentioned in a previous thread that I actually had a home invasion once. I was buck naked on the bed when they showed up. All I had at the time was a claw hammer from my tool belt. I backed them down the stairs and out the door.

Mention this to your newbie friends: Besides a firearm, stock your house with lethal tools. Every room should have a claw hammer or a baseball bat or a machete or a crow bar. This comes from my Israeli buddy who had to fight her way to her UZI one day when the Palestinians tried to raid their settlement. Everywhere you go in the house, there should be something somewhere out of the way, but easy to reach. Keep backing up, room to room, until you can grab one of these tools and then come at them with all you've got. As soon as my friend told me this, I went up to the dollar store and bought a bucket of cheap claw hammers.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I love 10-22’s as much as anyone, but sometimes they can jam. They have to be somewhat clean. If a round gets stuck in the chamber (FTE) your hooked.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shaman
My buddy, Bob, had a high-end brain surgeon for a cousin. Bob was a gun writer, so the surgeon asked Bob what his choice was for a self-defense gun. Without hesitation, Bob said a Ruger SP101. A few months later, the surgeon had a home invasion and popped she popped the perp with the SP101.

When it came time to buy a pistol for KYHillChick, I knew Bob would give similar advice. KYHillChick carries an SP101. At home, it never leaves her side.

Me? I'm a 12 GA guy. I've got a Rem 1100 with a deer barrel by the bed. I'd reach for it before the Ruger P90 (45 ACP) that's also close by. The first round is #6 birdshot. The next round is #4 buck. It gets progressively bigger. The last round is deer slug.

For a beginner? I personally think an AR is a bit daunting for a newbie. I've got an SKS at the farm because I might want to reach out a bit further. Son #2, Moose has a nice Ruger Mini-30 that he got from Bob's estate. That is an excellent piece of work. Personally I think both the SKS and the Mini-14 and Mini-30 are easier for beginners to grasp.

10/22? I'm not a big fan of 22 for self-defense. Yes, you may drop them. There are plenty of instances where it has happened like that. I'd be scared of the 22 not getting the job done fast enough. I've got a 30-Carbine flash hider on mine. It's there to as a damper and reduces the size of my groups, but it appears to the uninitiated that I've got something with a 80 caliber maw on it. It's intimidating visually, but I've never used it as a home defense weapon.

I mentioned in a previous thread that I actually had a home invasion once. I was buck naked on the bed when they showed up. All I had at the time was a claw hammer from my tool belt. I backed them down the stairs and out the door.

Mention this to your newbie friends: Besides a firearm, stock your house with lethal tools. Every room should have a claw hammer or a baseball bat or a machete or a crow bar. This comes from my Israeli buddy who had to fight her way to her UZI one day when the Palestinians tried to raid their settlement. Everywhere you go in the house, there should be something somewhere out of the way, but easy to reach. Keep backing up, room to room, until you can grab one of these tools and then come at them with all you've got. As soon as my friend told me this, I went up to the dollar store and bought a bucket of cheap claw hammers.

for quite a few years, had to cross the desert into california to get to edwards afb, and deal with the restrictive laws in calif. advised the grandson there to keep camping equipment and tools in his car, claw hammer, machete, etc. better than nothing.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

This makes about as much sense as the rest of your posts.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Why are there bags of golf clubs in every corner of your house?

Can you achieve proper Weaver Stance! with a wedge?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by SeanD
Black rifle.

is anything better on a scale of effective/easy to shoot?

For you and me, perhaps. Will a novice maintain them in a serviceable condition? Will they, at the worst possible moment, drop out the magazine when they meant to release the bolt?

Much better to give them a good, four inch, K-Frame, double-action-only revolver, stoked with premium .38 Special, and an external-hammer side-by-side 12 gauge, stoked with turkey loads. Someone breaks in, and they stuff the K-Frame in their pocket, grab the shotgun and cock the hammers. Nothing safer and simpler, and more than effective enough at room distances.

The problem I have with SXS's is that it's hard to find a quality, affordable one in 2020. I've been around some of the first Coach Guns and they were great. I've been around another that was a total POS and I wouldn't count on it to shoot a pigeon out of a rafter, much less protect my household.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Looking at it from another angle- Bad guy would have a really bad day if my 10yo daughter had a MP15/22 or AR15 in her hands. They would be relatively safe if she had a pistol of any flavor.

Obviously a 12ga is the wrong choice for a 10yo.

Point is, light recoiling rifles are way easier for a 10yo to hit with. And I see the same thing when I take novice adults shooting.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
[

Bless your heart! I forgot you were back. I guess I'll have to start telling the jokes slower again.

Write soon. Write often.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[

Bless your heart! I forgot you were back. I guess I'll have to start telling the jokes slower again.

Write soon. Write often.

You can start by explaining why you begin with a #6 and work your way to a slug.

I'd also love to know why a novice shooter would find the Mini-14 simple, and an AR daunting.

An explanation of how you developed your Blunderbuss theory would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The 10/22 with a small red dot sight or it’s big brother, the PCC. Either in carbine or Charger w/arm brace form. Red dot mandatory on anything.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 06/05/20.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[

Write soon. Write often.

You can start by explaining why you begin with a #6 and work your way to a slug.

I'd also love to know why a novice shooter would find the Mini-14 simple, and an AR daunting.

An explanation of how you developed your Blunderbuss theory would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

People don't use spreader chokes, therefore, at close range #6 behaves like a slug. A fellow on another board scored an Ithaca 37 at closeout price of $499. This had fully rifled barrel, rifle sights with hi-viz inserts and long one piece magazine tube (I think it held 7). Choice of rifled barrel for HD isn't as stupid as it appears because there are several slugs for HD. The Federal Truball and Truball penetrators (those are 1300fps load not the insane ones loaded to 1600fps), Winchester BRI 2&3/4" and Lightfield Light slugs. The plain 1300fps Truball is preferred because it has least recoil, muzzle blast and flash. The Lightfield Lights tend to be most accurate but have most recoil and flash of the ones I mentioned. The Winchester loads does not kick hard but has lot of muzzle flash when shot indoors. The 12ga is preferred to HD because there are good variety of lower recoil loads more suitable to HD use.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Slavek

People don't use spreader chokes, therefore, at close range #6 behaves like a slug. A fellow on another board scored an Ithaca 37 at closeout price of $499. This had fully rifled barrel, rifle sights with hi-viz inserts and long one piece magazine tube (I think it held 7). Choice of rifled barrel for HD isn't as stupid as it appears because there are several slugs for HD. The Federal Truball and Truball penetrators (those are 1300fps load not the insane ones loaded to 1600fps), Winchester BRI 2&3/4" and Lightfield Light slugs. The plain 1300fps Truball is preferred because it has least recoil, muzzle blast and flash. The Lightfield Lights tend to be most accurate but have most recoil and flash of the ones I mentioned. The Winchester loads does not kick hard but has lot of muzzle flash when shot indoors.

Can you try again please?

I don't speak Polak.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Slavek

People don't use spreader chokes, therefore, at close range #6 behaves like a slug. A fellow on another board scored an Ithaca 37 at closeout price of $499. This had fully rifled barrel, rifle sights with hi-viz inserts and long one piece magazine tube (I think it held 7). Choice of rifled barrel for HD isn't as stupid as it appears because there are several slugs for HD. The Federal Truball and Truball penetrators (those are 1300fps load not the insane ones loaded to 1600fps), Winchester BRI 2&3/4" and Lightfield Light slugs. The plain 1300fps Truball is preferred because it has least recoil, muzzle blast and flash. The Lightfield Lights tend to be most accurate but have most recoil and flash of the ones I mentioned. The Winchester loads does not kick hard but has lot of muzzle flash when shot indoors.

Can you try again please?

I don't speak Polak.

Are you sure?
I thought that was in your resume. 😏

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sig MPX. Not the rifle, a braced short barrel or sbr. Manual of arms similar to an AR, which my children learned in a weekend with Appleseed. Once you know how to load it and handle the safety you have a shoulder fired 9mm with virtually no kick. Far more stable an accurate than a pistol (unless the pistol is in the hands of a freak expert).

I've had several novice shooters literally shoot the bullseye out of targets. And, most importantly, they enjoyed shooting the MPX.

For any range found in my house this would be my go to gun. If I needed to arm my wife, who has taken one 4 hour pistol class and maybe shoot an additional 4 or 5 times, this is what I'd hand her. She shoots the MPX better then I, or anyone I know, shoots a pistol. Maybe not as fast, but accurate and comfortable.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[

Write soon. Write often.

Thanks in advance.

I think we covered all this in a previous disagreement. It really doesn't serve much use to go around about it again. I'm not trying to change your mind, so let's leave it at that.

Having dealt with several novices before, I just notice that AR's seem to appear overly complicated and daunting to the uninitiated. However, SKS, M1 Carbine, and Mini-14-type designs seem to make them more comfortable. My wife had all kinds of trouble relating to AR's and AK's, but I put a MIni-14 in her hands and it suddenly became "HERS!" I'm not going to defend it; I'm just making an observation. As a somewhat similar aside, my sons have a 20-something friend that just bought his own first weapon as a result of all the hoo-haw. It was an SKS. He paid $700 for it. My sons were a bit aghast, since it probably had a $350 street value. Don't ask me to defend that choice. He made it, and he was damn proud of it. It just felt "Right" to him.

I'm not familiar with the blunderbuss. I've shot one-- that's about it. I don't have any real experience with one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[

Write soon. Write often.

Thanks in advance.

I think we covered all this in a previous disagreement. It really doesn't serve much use to go around about it again. I'm not trying to change your mind, so let's leave it at that.

Having dealt with several novices before, I just notice that AR's seem to appear overly complicated and daunting to the uninitiated. However, SKS, M1 Carbine, and Mini-14-type designs seem to make them more comfortable. My wife had all kinds of trouble relating to AR's and AK's, but I put a MIni-14 in her hands and it suddenly became "HERS!" I'm not going to defend it; I'm just making an observation. As a somewhat similar aside, my sons have a 20-something friend that just bought his own first weapon as a result of all the hoo-haw. It was an SKS. He paid $700 for it. My sons were a bit aghast, since it probably had a $350 street value. Don't ask me to defend that choice. He made it, and he was damn proud of it. It just felt "Right" to him.

I'm not familiar with the blunderbuss. I've shot one-- that's about it. I don't have any real experience with one.

Great explanations.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Shaman, I agree with what you said about the Mini-14 vs the AR or AK. Its operation is easier to comprehend for the novice and less intimidating.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I guess my real feelings on the matter is, a novice shouldn't be using firearms for protection.

If you're going to buy a firearm for protection you need to go to the local shooting range and burn powder until you learn how to use it,..and not be a novice any longer.

It's not difficult to learn to use a firearm well enough to defend yourself with it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I guess my real feelings on the matter is, a novice shouldn't be using firearms for protection.

If you're going to buy a firearm for protection you need to go to the local shooting range and burn powder until you learn how to use it,..and not be a novice any longer.

It's not difficult to learn to use a firearm well enough to defend yourself with it.

Of course. Throughout American history, though, a large percentage of people who seek a firearm for home defense will learn basic function, then load it up and lean it against the wall in the closet, or stick it in a sock drawer. Just a reality.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deflave, you have been telling me for years the "shockwave" is the answer to all these questions...... have things changed?

Seriously though, my wife is small and has weak hands and doesn't enjoy shooting AR15's and 12 gauge is out of the question, so the solution I came up with for her while I am gone is a 10/22, she loves it.
It is lightweight, easy to shoot and she has confidence in it.
She also has a small frame 3" barrel 38 revolver she feels confident with, I load it with hardcast wadcutters at 800fps.
The 10/22 has the ten round factory mag with CCI mini mags h/p
Those two guns and a 95lb Akita she feels pretty safe.

Long way of saying, Flave is correct..... wink

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.