Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
First off, I am not a Glocktard, fanboy or whatever epithet gets thrown around for those with an emotional attachment to their pistols. In fact I didn't even like Glocks until I got a G34 Gen 5 about 3 months ago. It's a fine pistol.

I've bought several pistols in the last few months and have been shooting and comparing them all quite a bit - Sig P320 X-Full and a change kit to make it an X-Compact, S&W M&P 2.0's in 5" and Compact, and have had my good ol' Beretta 92FS for a few years now.

Each of those beats the Glock in some way - the Sig in both versions is more mechanically accurate, both Smiths are more ergonomic and comfortable in the hand, both the Sig and S&W's have better triggers, and the Beretta points better than anything else. But they each have a deal breaker for me - the Sig doesn't point well for me at all, the right side slide release on the Smiths is worthless (I'm a leftie) and the Beretta is DA/SA which is fine for 30 years ago but is a trigger system unlike any other pistol I own; not conducive to cross training.

While the Glock doesn't win in a lot of categories, it meets or exceeds specs in all of them. And when I start shooting fast I can hit with the Glock just as well as any of those others and that's the bottom line, plus it has a solid reputation for reliability which takes equal weight on the bottom line.

And finally, it's just ubiquitous. While "the one most everybody else uses" isn't the deciding factor for anything, it don't hurt. If it was 60 years ago (and we had the internet) I'd be writing, "well, I tried a bunch of revolvers and finally just got a Model 10 and be did with it". wink

Started looking for a 17 Gen 5 in March, right at the same time as everybody ran out of them. Saw a few here and there on gunbroker but not at a price I liked. Finally saw one for the standard retail price they should be with free shipping and no CC fees, so I "bought it now" on Sunday and picked it up at the dealer's this morning. Going to the range this afternoon to see where it hits and will adjust the sights as needed.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have mixed feelings about them. and i own a bunch of handguns and a bunchof glocks for that matter.
i have a first generation glock 17, by serial number first couple months production. it sat in a dark spot for years not having any real reason to fool with it. it still had the "bad" factory parts glock was willing to replace under a unannounced factory recall. i did replace them saving the original parts.
then i bought a kkm replacement barrel, and finally shot it. light to carry, accurate and i really like it. now the nightstand gun. or with a couple of spare mags, easy to throw in truck.
been eyeballing it the last day or so, the urge is strong.
what i don't like even tho it's in new condition,is the lack of stippling and smooth grip of the gen. one. i have a 23 gen one that i put a rubber slipover on, i think this 17 is gonna get that.
also found on amazon a kit for a sight pusher on the back, and a front sight removal tool, plus night sights. think thats coming too.
I think i paid about 250bucks for it, plus 150 for the new barrel. get some of the glock18 extended mags and it's kind of like a mini mp5

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/05/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
First off, I am not a Glocktard, fanboy or whatever epithet gets thrown around for those with an emotional attachment to their pistols. In fact I didn't even like Glocks until I got a G34 Gen 5 about 3 months ago. It's a fine pistol.

I've bought several pistols in the last few months and have been shooting and comparing them all quite a bit - Sig P320 X-Full and a change kit to make it an X-Compact, S&W M&P 2.0's in 5" and Compact, and have had my good ol' Beretta 92FS for a few years now.

Each of those beats the Glock in some way - the Sig in both versions is more mechanically accurate, both Smiths are more ergonomic and comfortable in the hand, both the Sig and S&W's have better triggers, and the Beretta points better than anything else. But they each have a deal breaker for me - the Sig doesn't point well for me at all, the right side slide release on the Smiths is worthless (I'm a leftie) and the Beretta is DA/SA which is fine for 30 years ago but is a trigger system unlike any other pistol I own; not conducive to cross training.

While the Glock doesn't win in a lot of categories, it meets or exceeds specs in all of them. And when I start shooting fast I can hit with the Glock just as well as any of those others and that's the bottom line, plus it has a solid reputation for reliability which takes equal weight on the bottom line.

And finally, it's just ubiquitous. While "the one most everybody else uses" isn't the deciding factor for anything, it don't hurt. If it was 60 years ago (and we had the internet) I'd be writing, "well, I tried a bunch of revolvers and finally just got a Model 10 and be did with it". wink

Started looking for a 17 Gen 5 in March, right at the same time as everybody ran out of them. Saw a few here and there on gunbroker but not at a price I liked. Finally saw one for the standard retail price they should be with free shipping and no CC fees, so I "bought it now" on Sunday and picked it up at the dealer's this morning. Going to the range this afternoon to see where it hits and will adjust the sights as needed.

Excellent choice, for all the reasons you state. For about the past 5 years, I've been Carrying Glocks, either the 17, 19, or 26. Right now, I've got the 19 on, Gen 5. The 26 is also a Gen 5. I bought the 17 before there was a Gen 5, so it's a Gen 4. All excellent. Learn the trigger, and you will hit whatever you aim at. At that point, it's second nature. Get some good night sights with a high contrast front sight and you are set.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glocks usually do almost everything a pistol needs to do, and they do it well enough to get you home at the end of it. I had to shoot them to the exclusion of everything else to gain what I consider a comfortable level of accuracy on autopilot, whether shooting hurried or deliberate. And they are pretty good for that type of shooting.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Great choice, if I were to use a Glock it would also be the 17. For the last 34 years my main pistol has been a Beretta 92F. I love everything about it but it is a large pistol. It’s hard to conceal but I have carried it a lot in the past. This year I finally switched to a striker fired polymer pistol. I bought a full size Beretta APX, the price was right, $399.99 plus a $100 rebate. While the trigger isn’t as good as the 92F it’s not bad. It is definitely easier to carry and fits my small hand better. The one negative about the pistol is lack of aftermarket support for things like holsters etc.. This is a category where the Glock has no equal. The Glock 17 in my opinion is a pistol that does many things very well. It checks a lot of boxes. The APX checks a lot of boxes for me, the only issue I have with it is minimal aftermarket support for it. I hope that you enjoy your Glock 17.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As a fellow lefty and non Glock Loyal to the Death person.....I AM a fan of the Gen 5s for lefties. Having been in Law Enforcement for 23 years and trained to sling shot the slide on mag exchanges...dinking around with the slide stop/release like the Right Handers have been able to do all along....is kinda fun. And it IS faster.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Can’t go wrong

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Took it to the range yesterday afternoon with 150 rounds of S&B 124 FMJ to check sights and get some general trigger time.

Very first ten rounds out of the new pistol, off hand, slow aimed fire at 7 yards, hold on the X. I could bump the sights a tad to the right but based on some other targets fired at faster speed will just leave them where they are. I'd heard that the Gen 5's shot to the dot but this one's POI is pretty much right at the top of the front sight.

[Linked Image]

Five rounds at 15 and five at 25 slow aimed fired. The ones in the 10 and 9 rings were at 15 yards, at 25 they rose a bit higher. Not real between the eyes accuracy but at least I know to hold just a tad low.

[Linked Image]

Don't like to do a lot of mag dumps at a public indoor range 'cause it's annoying, but usually put my last 5 or 10 rounds of the day out just as fast as I can present and fire. This is five rounds at 3 yards, grab the gun from the range bench and present and fire just as fast as I possibly can. This'll do for a start but will keep practicing.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a 17 en 5 myself. Very pleased with it so far and it definitively likes the 124gr over the 115s

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my gen 3 G17 is almost as accurate as my P365, I like it. The 19 and 17 size guns still have good utility, the G43 size guns have been outflanked by the hellcat and the p365. The 320 is not bad either, it shoots as well as the p365. At 15 yds and beyond the glock lets you know if you understand its trigger or not.

IC B3

J
J
I much prefer revolvers. I only own a couple auto pistols and both are Glocks - a Gen 3 17 and a Gen 4 26. They work splendidly and get the job done.

Pedersoli .54 Hawken
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have a 17 en 5 myself. Very pleased with it so far and it definitively likes the 124gr over the 115s

Try some 147's if you can.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i have mixed feelings about them. and i own a bunch of handguns and a bunchof glocks for that matter.
i have a first generation glock 17, by serial number first couple months production. it sat in a dark spot for years not having any real reason to fool with it. it still had the "bad" factory parts glock was willing to replace under a unannounced factory recall. i did replace them saving the original parts.
then i bought a kkm replacement barrel, and finally shot it. light to carry, accurate and i really like it. now the nightstand gun. or with a couple of spare mags, easy to throw in truck.
what i don't like even tho it's in new condition,is the lack of stippling and smooth grip of the gen. one. i have a 23 gen one that i put a rubber slipover on, i think this 17 is gonna get that.
also found on amazon a kit for a sight pusher on the back, and a front sight removal tool, plus night sights. think thats coming too.
I think i paid about 250bucks for it, plus 150 for the new barrel. get some of the glock18 extended mags and it's kind of like a mini mp5

Those rubber slipcover things give me chills

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Took it to the range yesterday afternoon with 150 rounds of S&B 124 FMJ to check sights and get some general trigger time.

Very first ten rounds out of the new pistol, off hand, slow aimed fire at 7 yards, hold on the X. I could bump the sights a tad to the right but based on some other targets fired at faster speed will just leave them where they are. I'd heard that the Gen 5's shot to the dot but this one's POI is pretty much right at the top of the front sight.

[Linked Image]

Five rounds at 15 and five at 25 slow aimed fired. The ones in the 10 and 9 rings were at 15 yards, at 25 they rose a bit higher. Not real between the eyes accuracy but at least I know to hold just a tad low.

[Linked Image]

Don't like to do a lot of mag dumps at a public indoor range 'cause it's annoying, but usually put my last 5 or 10 rounds of the day out just as fast as I can present and fire. This is five rounds at 3 yards, grab the gun from the range bench and present and fire just as fast as I possibly can. This'll do for a start but will keep practicing.

[Linked Image]

Re: shots as fast you can

“He dead”

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Nice work Jim, I'm glad the Glock 17 is working well for you.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Those rubber slipcover things give me chills

Great in hot weather

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

roger, ty

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by deflave

Agreed. My Gen 5 shoots 147s the best. 147 HSTs are what I carry in the mag. I have little use for 115s. Carry 124's and 147's in all my 9s. The 150gr HSTs also shoot real nice out of my Shield and 365, but dont have enough stock of them to them in my other 9s

Last edited by marktheshark; 09/01/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone ever chosen 115s when 124 and 147s are available? It seems the latter two usually outperform the 115s.

Enjoy the G5. Solid choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 147 weight has been more accurate in nearly every 9mm I've ever owned. It's also softer shooting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.