Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Is anyone here experienced with this breed? I recently lost my bird dog. I am interested in a new dog and, since grouse numbers are in decline, I may not need a bird hunting breed. I like more rugged dogs but ofter have field-bred Spingers for hunting. Is this breed a good family pet and outdoor companion?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No

Fück Joe byron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
More hog dog than pet.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a Toller, they fetch alcohol! grin

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Only experience has been running into owners/breeders at dog shows. Of course, those are the type of owners that generally have well trained dogs.

I assume (hopefully), you've done a little research online about the breed and maybe contacted or looked at an owners group webpage or two? If you have, you know they are mastiff types and it appears there are some jurisdictions that have them on "banned" lists or require insurance on them (some homeowner's companies may not write a policy covering them and other large breeds).

Fantastic dogs from what the owners say, but not for everyone.

Good luck if that's what you decide upon.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what Valsdad said.
my insurance co wouldn't write for me if i got one. and i want one . also listed were Akita's all Pitbulls , and boxers of all things. there were more "bad dogs " listed but none i cared for.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm no fan of dogs that could easily kill me, or someone else. The breed was bred for aggression, either towards dangerous game or people and according to the websites needs careful socialization around people in public. Two of 'em killed a woman in a San Francisco apartment hallway maybe ten years ago.

All of that and they weigh 100lbs. with the usual penalties of more food, larger craps, shorter life. I dunno of anything I'd need a dog to do that a 50lb dog couldn't do as well or better than one twice that size.

Seriously, if you want that sort of dog, why not get a pit bull? Just get it fixed if its a male, most dog attacks are initiated by male dogs that still have their 'nads. Testosterone and all that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I'm no fan of dogs that could easily kill me, or someone else. The breed was bred for aggression, either towards dangerous game or people and according to the websites needs careful socialization around people in public. Two of 'em killed a woman in a San Francisco apartment hallway maybe ten years ago.

All of that and they weigh 100lbs. with the usual penalties of more food, larger craps, shorter life. I dunno of anything I'd need a dog to do that a 50lb dog couldn't do as well or better than one twice that size.

Seriously, if you want that sort of dog, why not get a pit bull? Just get it fixed if its a male, most dog attacks are initiated by male dogs that still have their 'nads. Testosterone and all that.

Presa Canario was the breed that killed the woman. They were bred to hunt wild hogs in Argentina. Any dog needs proper socialization for that matter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Presa Canario was the breed that killed the woman. They were bred to hunt wild hogs in Argentina

Tks for the correction, generally similar breeds tho.

Any dog needs proper socialization for that matter.

Indeed, but some breeds are far more of a liability than others.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Theeck
Is anyone here experienced with this breed? I recently lost my bird dog. I am interested in a new dog and, since grouse numbers are in decline, I may not need a bird hunting breed. I like more rugged dogs but ofter have field-bred Spingers for hunting. Is this breed a good family pet and outdoor companion?

They've got a lot of Pitbull in their development, although their enthusiasts rarely admit it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Different breed. Those were Presa Canarios.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DAs are no joke as a dog. Whereas an APBT will make a good hog catch dog, a DA will make a good "rip the hog limb from limb in front of you if you are not quick enough with the knife to stick the hog in the neck" dog.

If you have never owned and successfully trained & socialized an APBT, a working dog (dobie, GSD, rott) or another less-sharp molossus breed...a DA is probably the wrong place to start. Being successful with a bird dog is better than being totally new to dogs, of course.

Good luck with your decision and be sure to keep in touch with folks who have been successful with DAs if that is the way you go.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

They've got a lot of Pitbull in their development, although their enthusiasts rarely admit it.

A lot of urban APBT have DA in their development. The male APBTs I knew as a youth were in the 65lb range. Gotta do more than feed an APBT a lot to get it near 100lbs of lean muscle.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a dog lover. I don't care what breed, I can find something to love in them. I would never own a fighting breed though. They are cool dogs, but the truth is that they won't do anything that I need to do that other dogs won't do. While I really like my chances as a responsible owner, the liability with one of those breeds is more than I am willing to suffer.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I had a junk yard to protect, or if I had just landed on the shores of latin america and was looking to conquer a new continent I'd love a couple of those dogs. Barring that I have a hard time seeing a use. Not to say they should be banned, but it should be law whatever they do to anyone else gets visited upon you tenfold. I've never met one, just read up on them. Would be neat to see one one day.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

They are loyal to a fault much like a Pit is, from the research I've done they are a very rewarding dog to own. They are a very active dog and need a job to stay out of trouble. they are not a dog that can be ignored and only paid attention tom when it's convenient for you.

Research the breed very well before you decide if this is a dog for you. If you want to put in the time I suspect it will be very rewarding for you.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Too much dog for most owneers IMHO. I would plan on some pretty intensive supervision/socialization if I were to get one. That is how I treat my Pit Bull rescue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not owned a Dogo Argentino, but I have researched them and what everyone here is telling you seems to be true.
That being said I own one of the breeds known for viciousness (an Akita)
And while my dog is strong willed and stubborn at times she is a fabulous and well behaved dog.
I spend everyday and all day with her and made a conscious effort to socialize her. She is very smart and well behaved.....the training technique was way different than more civilized dogs.
I believe these dogs take a strong commitment and an owner well versed in dog behavior....
If you go into knowing that chances are you will have a great protective dog.....
You must be willing to put the dog down if it proves vicious though, most cannot deal with that.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am a dog lover. I don't care what breed, I can find something to love in them. I would never own a fighting breed though. They are cool dogs, but the truth is that they won't do anything that I need to do that other dogs won't do. While I really like my chances as a responsible owner, the liability with one of those breeds is more than I am willing to suffer.

Had a dog that was targeted because of his breed and we were in the wrong place at the wrong time (too near scammers).

I was sweating until his tile-crawling lawyer and my insurance lawyer deposed the lying rat bstrd and realized that not only was he a liar, but he was as likable as a sebaceous cyst on your backside.

For all my appreciation of the working and bully breeds, I have not sought out another. And if one did fall into my lap, no way I am going out in a public urban area without a muzzle and well-trimmed nails. The muzzle not to protect others from my dog, but to protect US from insurance-scamming scum and their tile-crawling lawyers. May they all rot in #ell.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. I had a boerboel before and they can be an aggressive breed too. My thought on the DA was that ot would have more hunting drive and I might have been able to teach it to hunt birds bit (did this with a Berner before) and have it also be a good for guarding my house. I really liked my boerboel but he was downright dangerous around strangers - even harmless ones. I have kids so I think I will shelf this idea until they are grown and get another bird dog for now. Thanks for all of the input.

We have had a lot of looters not far from my house. There have been stores looted and ATM machines blown up within a mile of my home. It makes me miss my boerboel. We have not had any issues in the residential areas. I’m well armed but a bit of a deep sleeper.

Last edited by Theeck; 06/05/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lol, A Dogo Argetino would make short work of looters.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.