Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
New York Post
Facebook

Roger Goodell responds to NFL stars’ Black Lives Matter plea: ‘We were wrong’
By Ryan DunleavyJune 5, 2020 | 7:46pm | Updated

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell condemned racism, admitted a mistake in judgement and ultimately showed he is willing to listen to the players.

One day after the NFL Players Association united some of its biggest stars for a wish list of things they wanted to hear from the league amidst nationwide protests of George Floyd’s murder and other police-involved deaths, Goodell delivered nearly word-for-word on the request in a video released Friday night to social media.

“We, the National Football League, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of black people,” Goodell said from his home. “We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest.”

It might not be perfect — the players asked for an admission of wrong in “silencing our players from peacefully protesting” — but it is a big step from the years of the league not giving an inch after Colin Kaepernick and others began kneeling during the national anthem in 2016 to protest social injustice.

NFL

@NFL
We, the NFL, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of Black People. We, the NFL, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest. We, the NFL, believe Black Lives Matter. #InspireChange

The NFL’s first attempt at a response — a written statement last weekend — was deemed by players to fall far short of the mark. For starters, it referred to “tragic events” and “current events” but not the root of the issue.

This time, Goodell struck a more specific chord.

“It has been a difficult time for our country, in particular black people in our country,” Goodell said. “First, my condolences to the families of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and all the families who have endured police brutality.”

Minnesota police officer Derek Chauvin was fired and charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter after he kneeled on Floyd’s neck and ignored pleas to stop.

The Giants’ Saquon Barkley and the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes were two of the most prominently displayed voices in the powerful video scripted by the NFLPA. Neither Barkley nor Mahomes was in the NFL when Kaepernick protested and all players essentially faced a weekly decision of whether to join or sit out the protest. Same goes for many other rising stars.

About 70 percent of NFL players are black, according to a 2018 study by the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports.

“We, the National Football League, believe Black Lives Matter,” Goodell said. “I personally protest with you and want to be part of the much-needed change in this country. Without black players, there would be no National Football League. And the protests around the country are emblematic of the centuries of silence, inequality and oppression of black players, coaches, fans and staff.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just another example of 'No-balls' Goodell doing what he does best.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Screw the NFL I hope they go under!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Centuries of oppression of black players, coaches, fans, and staff."

Is Goodell insane? How have black players or fans have been oppressed? The black NFL player has it better than 99 percent of the WHITE people in the world.
$7 million a year for catching a football in a part time job, and all the white p**** he can bang? Goodell is insane.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's all about the money.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I’d say that they are knuckling under to the players rather than the rioters. Emotion rather than logic rules the day. This appears to be a cyclical thing that humanity as a whole goes through. I’m done with organized sports. I’ll be my own athlete and mountain bike with my sons. Then I can drink more beer without stacking on the pounds.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And people will still buy tickets and watch the games on TV. As long as the money keeps rolling in, they will go the way the wind blows.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just another reason to go fishing on Sundays, or maybe floss the neighbors cats teeth !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
And people will still buy tickets and watch the games on TV. As long as the money keeps rolling in, they will go the way the wind blows.

Many on here would watch it Sunday if they played...

Justify or by saying “I’m not supporting the NFL, I’m supporting Jimmy Joe. He’s a swell guy”

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The NFL........... America's largest political action theatrical troupe. I'm sure the producers and directors have this coming seasons script all prepared.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Suckass.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i haven't watched a football game since 2005. will continue to use my time for better things like mowing the lawn.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not surprising. Brees folding was the writing on the wall.

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Krapernick disrespected my flag, I blamed it on him and not the NFL. When other players joined in, I was done. Guess it'll be more years of not watching. Not only will it not be a player here or there, it'll be the exception when a player chooses not to kneel now. And those people will be shredded by everyone. The NFL will come up with some trick to give people an excuse to justify their lack of resolve to boycott. They'll have a kneeling cult ceremony to allow people to pray to the mob. Then they'll do a couple ads to sell a few million Nikes, then they will do the anthem. But it'll be a sham. And I'm betting that players in defiance of the NFL's sham, will kneel anyway during the anthem.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22250rem
The NFL........... America's largest political action theatrical troupe. I'm sure the producers and directors have this coming seasons script all prepared.

Count on that. Plus it would not be a surprise if all white players were required by the black players to kneel with them. Also, no National Anthem, and no American flag flying in the stadium.

I haven't watched a professional football game in years and can't think of any reason to start now. Highly overpaid jocks butting heads over an inflated piece of leather.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What is this NFL everyone is talking about?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.