Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This sub forum is new for me, just asking on options an a lever stainless in 357?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Marlin.......pre Remington $$$$$$$$$$ even a blue/walnut 357 will start at $900

Henry.........probably the easiest to locate....just remember the tube loading

Rossi......strong......C/S sucks......357 in any lever is tough to find

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-weather-big-boy/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
This sub forum is new for me, just asking on options an a lever stainless in 357?

I've had trouble with the Marlin .357 lever actions, both blued and steel.

I had the blued gun on a mid winter jackrabbit hunt, temps around zero. The loading gate is on a long spring. The little screw that holds the spring to the frame broke mid-hunt. End of that. frown I don't know if it was defective or didn't handle the pretty intense cold well.

The stainless gun was one of the big loop carbines with picatinny rail. I bought it for a bedroom gun mostly with maybe some hunting later. I got it home. It would not accept a 2nd shell into the magazine. Rather than wait weeks for Marlin to maybe fix it, I told them to give me my money back and I bought an AR for that job instead.

I can't speak to the other options.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I’ve got a Marlin 1894 CSBL in .357 and love it, no issues. I did take it apart and smooth out the edges around the loading port and took some of the spring pressure off the loading gate by bending it a little. Feeds and functions fine and accuracy is great.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Have owned 3 Rossi's and 2 Marlins in stainless, all good shooters. No experience with the hard chrome finish on the Henry model.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Keep moving forward!
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have my ffl trying to locate a Henry 357. Seen in short supply currently.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Buds shows the Henry 357 in stock. I've got one. Great gun. Wouldn't mind getting the one with the side loading gate, but other guns have priority right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
is this junk?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Those Rossis are not junk. The local store has that model in stock. The safety on the bolt is a bit of an eye sore. The wood could be finished better. The action is not buttery smooth like the Henry but it does work as designed when you handle it with authority.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
trying to find it in stock locally and I can't, I found a blued one, but not stainless

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Those Rossis are not junk. The local store has that model in stock. The safety on the bolt is a bit of an eye sore. The wood could be finished better. The action is not buttery smooth like the Henry but it does work as designed when you handle it with authority.

Steves Gunz makes a replacement filler for that eyesore safety, its a snap to change.

...he also makes a filler that uses a Skinner peep to replace the safety lever. It's the cat's meow.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Middle son recently bought a threaded Henry 38/357. I sent him a 4x Weaver Classic and a box of 180 gr XTP 357 handloads. A trip to his future family's property resulted in a dead whitetail and hog. He advises it shoots very well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rossi 92's very popular here in Australia for shooting pigs mostly. Both blued and stainless. Be wary of the 24" versions with the octagonal barrels. Great shooters, but heavy. Original octagonal barrels had a lot more taper, Rossis seem almost paralell sided smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Rossi 92's very popular here in Australia for shooting pigs mostly. Both blued and stainless. Be wary of the 24" versions with the octagonal barrels. Great shooters, but heavy. Original octagonal barrels had a lot more taper, Rossis seem almost paralell sided smile

Has their popularity increased since the Port Arthur gun control or have they always been popular?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not trying to hyjack this thread, but what is a Marlin SBL in 44 worth? Are all of these made in CT? Or were some made in NC?

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It looks like I shoudla bought one when i could. (Wry grimace).

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Man i had it in my hands. Should have just bought it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a Rossi and a Marlin.The Rossi stayed with me and I still have it. They are far some junnk. Some take a little internal polishing though.The only pro pf the Marlin is it is drilled and tapped for a scope.The Model 92 Rossi fits nicely in a small scabbard under the stirrup fender if you are a horse rider.

With about any brand some will feed 38 Special along with .357. Some won't. Some will fed semi wad cutters some won't

I don't have much use for anything stainless, except a couple of handguns., but I am just old fashion

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bought a new Rossi R92 .357, 16" round barrel, blued, two months ago. Cleaned out the sticky factory lube and applied a light coat of white lithium grease to the internals. Mine functions well with .38 and .357 ammo, HP, FP, round nose and SWC.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The main problem with the Rossi is that the ejector spring is about five times stronger than it needs to be. It causes the bolt to close harder than it should and it will put undue pressure on the cartridge and raise the nose a hair causing feeding problems. It is easily replace with almost anything. I ran mine for a couple of years and shot a couple thousand rounds through it with the spring from a ball point pen. The empties would literally pile up at my feet. I eventually changed that out for a spring designed for an actual Winchester 92 and it works better than the Rossi original. The original Rossi would throw empties over your head and so far back that you couldn’t even them.

Fix that spring and 95% of what ails a Rossi 92 is fixed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.