Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I too bought a Tundra in the last few weeks but not the double cab. Mine is whatever has the shorter bed and four full doors. My only complaint so far is the TRD exhaust is surprisingly loud for a factory exhaust. it can be heard by the other party when talking on the phone using Apple Car play.

The gas mileage is not great, especially when towing, but not significantly worse than my 2014 F150 I traded. I loved the Fords in every way except reliability. Hopefully, the Toyota is better. So far, I like mine.

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I too bought a Tundra in the last few weeks but not the double cab. Mine is whatever has the shorter bed and four full doors. My only complaint so far is the TRD exhaust is surprisingly loud for a factory exhaust. it can be heard by the other party when talking on the phone using Apple Car play..

You could probably work a trade with your dealer to swap that dual exhaust for a standard single on another crewmax they’re selling. I think that’s like a $1300 option.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
$1,300 for that?!!!! That's crazy. Mine is a TRD Pro and I think it should be the factory exhaust so I didn't realize people pay that kind of money for it. I'm surprised the government let's them spec something that loud or maybe they're piping the noise inside through the speaker system or something? It seems Ford or someone was doing that awhile back on some models.

My dad always asks if I'm riding a Harley when I call him now, and his hearing is worse than mine so it must be loud.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A few other thoughts regarding the Tundra: the reach to the dash is fairly long (i.e. tuning the radio), fewer bells and whistles than a comparable model Ford (though may not need that stuff); mine rides really well over rough roads. I suspect the ride is because of the TRD Pro suspension and the factory TRD 18" wheels and tires. My last Ford Lariat had 20s. I have no idea why it is popular to put such big wheels on new 4x4s. The smaller rims with more sidewall should ride better offroad. The only reason for big rims I can think of is to clear bigger brakes and I think the 18s clear just fine. Based on the reliability friends and family get with them, including farm and oilfield use, I suspect mine will go a long time given what I do with it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too bought a Tundra in the last few weeks but not the double cab. Mine is whatever has the shorter bed and four full doors. My only complaint so far is the TRD exhaust is surprisingly loud for a factory exhaust. it can be heard by the other party when talking on the phone using Apple Car play.

The gas mileage is not great, especially when towing, but not significantly worse than my 2014 F150 I traded. I loved the Fords in every way except reliability. Hopefully, the Toyota is better. So far, I like mine.

What color did you get?

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I bought a fairly stock truck and put what I wanted on it.

Due to the COVID thing they had all the parts on sale, with free shipping.

What I’ve done to my truck so far

TRD Dual Exhaust
Tyger running boards
CoverKing Seat covers
Console Vault
Wireless phone charger tray
Line-X bed liner
Elec. tailgate lock
ARE cap (on the way)
TRD front & rear sway bars
TRD skip plate
Bed D-rings
Air-rite helper air suspension in the back

I will be putting tow mirrors on it soon...
and I plan on getting some bed stiffeners

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice Spotshooter! I have a 2016 TRD, just turned 55555 miles on it. This truck was my retirement present to myself after driving beater work trucks for 40 years! LOL! Totally enjoy it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

What color did you get?

Mine is green. I now have 6,000 miles and seem to be averaging about 1 mpg better than my Ford. One impressive thing I've learned is these have super heavy differential for a 1/2 ton. I think the rear is a 10.75" ring gear in a third-member. I haven't climbed under the front to see if it's a third-member but I've read the front is I believe a 9". The rear is the equivalent of a Dana 70 or 14 bolt at least in ring gear size.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is green. I now have 6,000 miles and seem to be averaging about 1 mpg better than my Ford. One impressive thing I've learned is these have super heavy differential for a 1/2 ton. I think the rear is a 10.75" ring gear in a third-member. I haven't climbed under the front to see if it's a third-member but I've read the front is I believe a 9". The rear is the equivalent of a Dana 70 or 14 bolt at least in ring gear size.

I am also a Tundra owner. A 2017 with 5.7. First and only owner.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the ring size or comparison to old diffs. The Tundra is a good 1/2-ton truck, but I wouldn't get too caught up in the various claims. The one that cracks me up the most is the rear diff ratio. This doesn't mean much unless you consider the transmission and transfer case ratios, however dudes like to compare it to the the 3.73 or 4.10 ratios of years past. This is silly.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/25/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only other trucks I know of with a rear ring gear that big are 3/4 tons. As for gearing, which is a a different discussion altogether, my 4.30 rear gears with low first gear in the transmission makes for a really short first gear. Though, 6th is pretty high, which takes the truck to around 2,000 rpm at 75 like most other trucks today.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Correction, rear is 10.5”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice looking truck Spothooter.
I bought pretty muck the same truck in March. Other than mine having the blacked out emblems, they look identical.
I added a Leer canopy and a rubber bed may and have been enjoying it for 6K miles now.
Tows my boat real nice and comfortable for daily driving, so whats not to love?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I’m picking up my ARE Z series topper on Monday.

I put bed stiffeners in the back, and have a elec. tailgate lock, and topper lock - so all good !!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The configuration of my 2000 Tundra V-8 4x4 extra cab with 6-1/2' bed and Lifetime work shell is perfect for my use. I love this truck. Plenty of power for towing my 25' Mako or 20' cargo trailer. Smooth and quiet as a luxury car. Comfortable ride. I've owned Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat and LandCruiser 4x4's and this is the best of the bunch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

How’s the gas mileage on the 2020 Tundra?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just about as bad as the older one I had.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Mixed driving I’m showing 15.X on the lie-o-meter with 18k on the clock. Straight highway runs with speeds under 70 can go a bit more.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
17mpg if you leave the stock Michelin ATX tires on, if you put AT KO2’s expect 14-15 mpg

You go from 28lbs per tire to 44 ish.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 08/20/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm averaging 15 MPG with BFG KO2's and a front leveling kit (mileage dropped 1 MPG after leveling).

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
17mpg if you leave the stock Michelin ATX tires on, if you put AT KO2’s expect 14-15 mpg

You go from 28lbs per tire to 44 ish.

This. I lost an easy 2 MPG's going from the stock Michelins to stock-size Goodyear Duratracs. I love the tires but they are like 49 lbs each.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.