Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theeck
Thanks guys. I had a boerboel before and they can be an aggressive breed too. My thought on the DA was that ot would have more hunting drive and I might have been able to teach it to hunt birds bit (did this with a Berner before) and have it also be a good for guarding my house. I really liked my boerboel but he was downright dangerous around strangers - even harmless ones. I have kids so I think I will shelf this idea until they are grown and get another bird dog for now. Thanks for all of the input.

We have had a lot of looters not far from my house. There have been stores looted and ATM machines blown up within a mile of my home. It makes me miss my boerboel. We have not had any issues in the residential areas. I’m well armed but a bit of a deep sleeper.

A good bird dog does not have to be useless in the protection sphere, especially if you bond them to you & your kids real tight. Terrific early warning alarms at the very least.

We had a sweet little 45lb German Shorthaired Pointer who actively protected our 3YO daughter from a menacing illegal alien. Never expected that female GSP to do such a thing, but she was still a dog and she perceived her favorite human was under threat and left that illegal lame and leaving a blood trail. Not APBT or big dog damage, but enough to get the job done.

Before we were married and got the female GSP, my wife had a buff 75lb intact male GSP and would take him everywhere. He was a perfect gentleman on a leash, but many folks just don't want to mess with a healthy muscular dog. [Even if he has the softest mouth/bite you've ever encountered. Would catch sparrows and chickadees out of bushes on the wing and bring them to me. Live and uncrunched. I'd let him eat some of them, but half I would claim and let fly off, so he could catch it next week.]

GSP: Do-everything dog, IMO.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dogo Argentino are very vicious. Crazy neighbor woman rescued a pair.. She had to keep them in separate cages or they would try and kill each other. One got out and killed one of her Labs and ate part of it! You do not want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is much more to this story BUT you do not want one.........................................

Dogo Argentino: Considered by some as the most aggressive out of all the dangerous dog breeds. The Dogo Argentino was bred to hunt down large game such as wild boar and puma. Will fight to the death if required. It is banned in at least 10 countries including Australia, the UK, New Zealand and Portugal.

Last edited by Reba; 06/06/20.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks guys. I had a boerboel before and they can be an aggressive breed too. My thought on the DA was that ot would have more hunting drive and I might have been able to teach it to hunt birds bit (did this with a Berner before) and have it also be a good for guarding my house. I really liked my boerboel but he was downright dangerous around strangers - even harmless ones. I have kids so I think I will shelf this idea until they are grown and get another bird dog for now. Thanks for all of the input.

We have had a lot of looters not far from my house. There have been stores looted and ATM machines blown up within a mile of my home. It makes me miss my boerboel. We have not had any issues in the residential areas. I’m well armed but a bit of a deep sleeper.

You might look into an Airedale. Seems they would fit your needs quite well. Especially one from larger lines.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a friend that had a pair of Dogos several years ago. Father and son, as a matter of fact. Big, muscular, high energy dogs. Lived in the house with him and his wife and two daughters. He has a big house, BTW. My friend's 76 year old mother was feeding the dogs and the older dog--4 years old-- attacked the lady and tore about half of her scalp off without warning or provocation. The woman recovered after extensive surgery. They ain't household pets.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Originally Posted by Reba
Dogo Argentino are very vicious. Crazy neighbor woman rescued a pair.. She had to keep them in separate cages or they would try and kill each other. One got out and killed one of her Labs and ate part of it! You do not want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is much more to this story BUT you do not want one.........................................

Dogo Argentino: Considered by some as the most aggressive out of all the dangerous dog breeds. The Dogo Argentino was bred to hunt down large game such as wild boar and puma. Will fight to the death if required. It is banned in at least 10 countries including Australia, the UK, New Zealand and Portugal.

Maybe your neighbor rescued the two from Sharpsguy’s story.

2 things stand out from what you said. First, they were rescue dogs. I can understand wanting to rescue a dog but it is crazy to rescue a serious breed like that. They were dumped with a shelter for a reason.

The other thing is that your neighbor doesn’t sound very responsible. The dogs were obviously a problem when she had to cage them that way. She should have dealt with the problem before the lab was killed.

I do appreciate the info though. I think I could handle one but don’t think I want to risk it with my family and in my residential neighborhood. Maybe one day. For now I will probably either get a bird dog or a rottweiler.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you get a schi-tzu ([bleep]) you won't sleep if anything or anybody strange is in your yard. Really sounds like what you want is a lab or possibly a chessie.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If I get another pup someday.
Gonna be a Purebred Rhodesian ridgeback or a Belgian malnios.

Smart protective family dogs with social skills.
Just need a master/ leader over em, so they know their role.
You gotta be assertive with love around some breeds.
Cant treat dogs like a human and get upset when they act like a dog not to your liking....

JMO.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bird dog does a good job as a deterrent. She’s loud and will charge any strangers in the yard.

She’d be worthless as a bite dog, but is alert and that’s good enough for me. Might even run somebody off as long as they don’t try and pet her. She’d likely likely invite them in the house at that point lol.

Have no interest in an aggressive bitey kind of dog. They’re just a pain in the azz.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Originally Posted by johnw

If you get a schi-tzu ([bleep]) you won't sleep if anything or anybody strange is in your yard. Really sounds like what you want is a lab or possibly a chessie.

Labs have never appealed to me for some reason. Nice dogs but not for me. Chessies are okay but I wouldn’t get one unless I started hunting ducks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 66 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.