Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I got the 6.5 foot bed so I can put a camper in it, and ... it’s A TRUCK... so I haul stuff in the bed vs. people in a Crew Cab smile

So far I put the TRD dual exhaust on it... Tyger fo-sliders, and CoverKing seat covers.

Next comes the Console safe, TRD swaybars (front & back), TRD skid plate, and Air-rite helpers...
Then small stuff, electric tailgate lock, wireless charging tray, and I’ll order a ARE cap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice truck. I have a '19 Cavalry Blue Limited double cab. Just turned over 8k miles.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's the cargo weight rating on that?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and why call a pickup with a 6.5 foot bed, a 'TRUCK'?......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I call mine a grocery getter.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Wheelbarrel..8foot or nothing.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Because crew cabs have 5 to 5.5 foot beds... even with the tailgate down. You can’t get 8 ft out of them

Just for clarity - many crew max cab guy don’t like double cabs.... so I just answered the question for them

Last edited by Spotshooter; 06/06/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Virtually all of the guys with 8' beds stick a tool box in the bed effectively limiting the bed to 6' anyway. I don't need any extra storage with my 5.5' bed truck with a crew cab so I get the full 5.5' With the tailgate down I'm 2' shy of 8'. I don't have any trouble hauling plywood or lumber up to 12'. If I need to haul anything bigger I have a trailer I can put more volume and weight in the trailer than I could get in the bed of an 8' 3/4 ton truck. It's easier to load and even my little Tacoma can easily pull it.

Not knocking bigger trucks, my next one may be a 3/4 ton. But for now I need the full size rear seat and don't want the longer wheelbase of a crew cab and a longer bed. And I've not had to leave anything behind so far due to the smaller bed.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They come up with these configurations because of demand. That's what the buyers need and will buy. There are lots of us who need an 8' bed but many more get by just fine with a shorter one. I have the long bed in addition to a quad cab so my pickup is long and often clumsy. But, it meets my needs and I'm will to drive a long one.
We have a Dodge but when we were shopping for one in '12, the local Toyota dealer had a 4 door, long bed Tundra that we really liked. They said that they'd had it a while and wouldn't get any more because long beds wouldn't sell. But, they sure weren't willing to deal.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Hunts needs a real truck in his daily use

Here's one with an 8' bed & 4x4 & stick

Prob rides like a Dodge though.......... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I’m not sure they make truck campers with a 5 ft bottom footprint - but they do make them with a 6.5 foot base... so there ya go.

I wanted the option to put a camper back there, and I do end up hauling around tons of equipment and materials for the property management stuff we do...

I tried to do it with my Double Cab Tacoma with a 5 ft bed, so the extra bed is all good.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
And someone will probably be along to tell you it's not a 3/4 ton.

Nice truck. I had a 2005 Tundra doublecab, now have a 2013 doublecab. Fits my uses for a pickup.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I love my 14 tundra. I bought a 26 foot coachman, easy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Wheelbarrel..

What dat?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like my new to me '17 Tundra. I have the 4 door with the 6.5' bed, it's just what I needed. Liked everything about it til I went to change the oil one day last week. Brought home a couple gallons of super slick oil and a filter. Drove it up on some blocks in the shop, dropped the old oil in a pan without spilling one drop, that's a first. Rolled around under it for a couple minutes looking for the filter........? Looked on the topside........? Went in to the you-tube. Found it! Pulled the skid plate off, no luck getting my strap wrench on the housing. Off to the parts store 15 miles away to pick up a handy little Pennzoil filter wrench built for the job. Stripped out the 3/8 drive hole in it without so much as budging the housing. Then couldn't get the handy little Pennzoil filter wrench off the housing and proceeded to punch a hole in the side of the housing. Off to the parts store again to see if they had a new housing and possibly another handy Pennzoil filter wrench. Nope. Drove another 30 miles to the big town, Omaha, and found what I needed. Back home and back to the youtube. Lots of intel on stuck oil filter housings for the Tundra, apparently not one of Toyotas best design ideas. Tapped around on the housing base with a long skinny piece of wood and on one of the fins on the side of it and finally did break it loose. The new handy little Pennzoil filter wrench worked well, they especially work well when the housing isn't put on with several hundred ft/lbs of torque. Replaced the housing, skid plate, and 2 gallons of oil. Ran it for a while and let it sit for an hour or so whilst cleaning up the shop. Checked the oil and it was still about 3/4 of a quart low, topped that off and was back on the road again.

The first time I changed the oil on my '10 Taco I spent a few minutes rolling around under it looking for the filter with no luck. Went topside and found the thing staring at me right next to my right hand. I said to myself, "self, what a brilliant design." This was my very first Toyota pickup and I thought these guys really got it together making life easier for the guy who likes to change his own oil. The design of this Tundra oil filter system is definitely a step back.

Black Cows Matter!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

yea.......what was Toyota thinking ?

The 2nd Gen Tacoma V6 is sooo easy......

Now this....bought this replacement kit for my '11 GX 460 (4.6L) $58

You can also buy just the housing for $20 to have a spare if you don't need the wrench

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MikeL2
And someone will probably be along to tell you it's not a 3/4 ton.

Well it isn't.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tikkanut

yea.......what was Toyota thinking ?

The 2nd Gen Tacoma V6 is sooo easy......

Now this....bought this replacement kit for my '11 GX 460 (4.6L) $58

You can also buy just the housing for $20 to have a spare if you don't need the wrench

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

A filter kit for my Toyota Highlander is cheaper than a spin on but it takes longer to change. I have to remove a plastic mud shield to get at it.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

yea........they just want you to take your vehicle back to the stealership for service

the Lexus GX 460 I mentioned the same thing..remove skid plate to access filter housing

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That stupid sheet metal 'skid plate' is my biggest gripe in changing oil on my 2020 Tundra. One of these days I'll do the hole saw modification and give myself an access hole.

I like the housing with the drain cap to drain the filter before removing the filter. That part has worked slick for me on this truck as well as a 2007 Camry my wife used to drive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

102 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 14 invisible), 952 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.