Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Scada, self reporting flow usage, looks semi permanent.

We had Scada on our standpipe and towers, report the levels and transducer activity.

That one could be for metering. My self report meters were in the yard, just drive thru the hood and get all the reads. Maybe that is a centralized node or hub that gets data from a batch within range.

Other times we could do some leak detection temporary grid work. If excess water loss was occuring in a geograpghic pressure zone.

Just depends on the utility infrastructure of that municipality. We used a patchwork of 300+ lift stations for seer. Some might have a handfull big stations and more intricate forcemain.

You could grid study flows at nodes to see if a feasibility study would allow 3 small stations to be eliminated and one big upgrade impeller job or sinking a deeper wetwell upgrade. Most could be done from the stations unless too low in the sub basin and you needed a higher wifi point off site.

Blah blah blah, grammar, strong suit
#nevergoesoutside
#justpostinkstocrap

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have some sort of quarry near by? Perhaps a sound or dust monitor.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bobhanson1
Looks like a remote water meter reader (see picture here as it's hard to tell by your photo if they match, but the antennas look the same https://www.independenttribune.com/...b0e88e2-dcf1-11e3-844b-0017a43b2370.html).

That’s interesting. We have a hockey puc looking thing wired into out water meter lids that they can remotely read the meter with. They are flat enough that you just mow right over them. I have never seen the upright antenna looking things around tho.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by gunzo
It looks like a stop sign. As explained to me by Barney Fife, it doesn't mean slow, but actually a complete stop. It cost $55 for that lesson.

Nah. Without oncoming traffic or a cop, thats a yield sign.

24/7/365 in "Joisie"

Old many always called a rolling stop a Jersey Stop.

My old man called them California stop, growing up in Idaho.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Is it an air monitor for air quality? It’s a lot different looking than the ones used 20 years ago by our air quality contractor. And I know that traffic counters have changed a lot too, since my days using Streeter Amet and Golden River counters. I left transportation ops in’98. Technology has soared in all manner of devices since then.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looks like to me the sign post has both the stop sign and street sign on the same post. I do believe in NYS the" Manual of Traffic Control Devices" states a Stop sign cannot be mounted in conjuction with another sign. Stop sign on County roads must be on file with a location map at the County Clerks Office.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
National Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices of which each state pretty much adopts with there own title, is often not utilized very well by the more local entities. It should be the traffic engineers bible and it is most places.

It is not good practice to install street placards on a regulatory sign like a stop sign. Only additional placards allowed on such signage would be like a "4-way" or "cross traffic does not stop" placard. Also there are sign stardards to size too! And it’s height and distance from stop bar ( for a stop sign).

But,

You see all manner of such combinations in the county or small city roadways. Some places the sign fellas have pretty vivid imaginations. And have never heard of the NMUTCD. Or even their states version.

Edit,

I will add this caveat that a lot has changed since I retired. So I’m going on old accepted practices.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/07/20.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
National Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices of which each state pretty much adopts with there own title, is often not utilized very well by the more local entities. It should be the traffic engineers bible and it is most places.

It is not good practice to install street placards on a regulatory sign like a stop sign. Only additional placards allowed on such signage would be like a "4-way" or "cross traffic does not stop" placard. Also there are sign stardards to size too! And it’s height and distance from stop bar ( for a stop sign).

But,

You see all manner of such combinations in the county or small city roadways. Some places the sign fellas have pretty vivid imaginations. And have never heard of the NMUTCD. Or even their states version.

Edit,

I will add this caveat that a lot has changed since I retired. So I’m going on old accepted practices.

Keep preaching. A truck driver buddy of mine got his tickets dismissed because the "no truck" sign was 200 yards past the intersection, and he was pulling a set of doubles. Like he was going to back that up 200 yards and then around the corner.... Took him about a year, but the judge accepted the "non uniform sign" argument.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to have to look into the signage stuff if I ever get caught not going slow enough in one little burg up the road from here, on my way to the bigger towns.

55MPH county road comes into town, all of a sudden there's a 25MPH sign. No previous signs saying "Speed Zone Ahead" or even the usual (and mandatory last I heard) speed reductions in 10-20 mph increments coming into town.

For all I know, it's an artifact from when the town was more of a thriving entity. It's no just a collection of houses, no real businesses to speak of besides the P.O.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Kaywoodie--- Sounds like you have been to a few Goat Ropings and Sword Dances in your life. I agree with you 100%

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
OK, can we get a better picture? It only appears as a yellow blob here.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by gunzo
It looks like a stop sign. As explained to me by Barney Fife, it doesn't mean slow, but actually a complete stop. It cost $55 for that lesson.

Nah. Without oncoming traffic or a cop, thats a yield sign.

24/7/365 in "Joisie"

Old many always called a rolling stop a Jersey Stop.

My old man called them California stop, growing up in Idaho.

Geno is Cali-sensitive Vandana trying good deflect.

Also call them Cali stop.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm going to have to look into the signage stuff if I ever get caught not going slow enough in one little burg up the road from here, on my way to the bigger towns.

55MPH county road comes into town, all of a sudden there's a 25MPH sign. No previous signs saying "Speed Zone Ahead" or even the usual (and mandatory last I heard) speed reductions in 10-20 mph increments coming into town.

For all I know, it's an artifact from when the town was more of a thriving entity. It's no just a collection of houses, no real businesses to speak of besides the P.O.

According to our old traffic procedures manual, a speed zone must be at least 2/10 mile long and max speed reductions can only be 15 MPH. Now this would be estabilshed on a speed zone strip map adopted by a city ordinance within an incorporated area or by highway commission minute order in an unincorporated area. This only after an engineering study had been done to justify the reduced zone by a survey of the 85th percentile speeds. Only exception was with school zones. As they could get a 20 MPH drop only if the posted prima facie speed on the roadway was posted at 55 MPH or higher.

Speed surveys in urban areas were to suppose to be rechecked every 2 years. In non urban smaller villages every 3-5 years. Or as requested by just about anyone. From county judge, sheriff, or concerned citizen. Used to be the best way to beat a traffic citation was if the speeds hadn’t been recently surveyed as suggested in the manual. I re-did some speed zones thru small communities that hadnt been re- studied in out district in 20 years!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a factoid. In SD stop signs are considered a courtesy advisory. If the law required a stop before entering an intersection and you failed to stop you could be ticketed, stop sign or not. I don't know if it has changed, probably not. Never comes up as there are stop signs where it makes sense)

Made sense, law requires a stop before entering a highway (usually paved). With a dirt section road every mile that would be a lot of pretty much useless stop signs. (Ignorance of the law is no excuse)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.