Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14948925 06/07/20
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Been thinking about getting a new handgun for daily carry.
I live in rural SE Colorado and usually have one handy but never carried daily. Re-thinking with all the crap going on in our country.
Have the paperwork ready to apply to local sheriff.

Looking at Sig P229 compact in .40. I like that caliber in an old Ruger I have that's too big to conceal for me.
Own a S&W 642 air weight but don't shoot it well. Several others that are too big to carry.

Would appreciate any thought/opinions

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have an old beater 'no rail' 229 in 40 that leaves nothing to be desired as an all around carry gun. We've had them with rail and E2 grips (my wife still has one of those) but if IWB carry is on your radar hold out for the no rail version and stock Sig grips.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SargeMO; 06/07/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have two S&W Shields, one in 9mm and one in .45 ACP, that I carry often. The Shield is also made in .40 cal., and if I were interested in a .40 for daily carry, the Shield would again be my choice.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
While the P229 has a great reputation, I've never been a fan of DA/SA pistols (or Sigs high price). I would recommend the S&W M&P40 Compact 2.0. I have the 4" barrel version which is very close to the Glock 23 (but a better shooter IMO). About $350 $420 from Sportsmans Outdoor Super Store (SOSS).

Last edited by dla; 06/07/20. Reason: Price changed
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dennis81082
Looking at Sig P229 compact in .40. .........

If that's the gun you like you might want to look into the availability of holsters for that configuration for the way you intend to carry, before you take the leap. I imagine there are plenty of options for that gun but I don't know what your requirements are.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at Sig P229 compact in .40.
Own a S&W 642 air weight but don't shoot it well. Several others that are too big to carry.

No real recommendation can be made without a little bit more information:

1. When you say "daily carry," what do you mean? How many hours/day will the gun be on your person, and what will you be doing when carrying?

2. Does the new gun have to be a .40 S&W, or is it just what you're used to? How opposed are you to a 9mm?

3. What is it that draws you to the P229? I'm not criticizing it, but I was wondering what features you like--it will help in recommending other options. (FWIW, the DA/SA doesn't bother me. If you aren't a fan, they make a SAO version).

4. Will the gun have any other purpose/application beyond EDC?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I have two S&W Shields, one in 9mm and one in .45 ACP, that I carry often. The Shield is also made in .40 cal., and if I were interested in a .40 for daily carry, the Shield would again be my choice.

I think I’d go with this. As much as I like my G32 I always reach for the Shield for easy carry. With good ammunition the 9mm is sufficient. I find it easy to shoot well and function has been flawless.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I have an old beater 'no rail' 229 in 40 that leaves nothing to be desired as an all around carry gun. We've had them with rail and E2 grips (my wife still has one of those) but if IWB carry is on your radar hold out for the no rail version and stock Sig grips.

[Linked Image]

Sarge, I like it, looks like an old friend.

Originally Posted by dla
While the P229 has a great reputation, I've never been a fan of DA/SA pistols (or Sigs high price). I would recommend the S&W M&P40 Compact 2.0. I have the 4" barrel version which is very close to the Glock 23 (but a better shooter IMO). About $350 $420 from Sportsmans Outdoor Super Store (SOSS).

dla, I prefer DA/SA & decocker. That's what I'm used to.
Looking at used for cost savings.

Originally Posted by RufusG
Looking at Sig P229 compact in .40. .........

If that's the gun you like you might want to look into the availability of holsters for that configuration for the way you intend to carry, before you take the leap. I imagine there are plenty of options for that gun but I don't know what your requirements are.

Rufus, I'm going to use a belly band since I wear nothing but bibs and my belly is larger than I like. Not many ways to conceal while wearing bibs.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Waders
Looking at Sig P229 compact in .40.

No real recommendation can be made without a little bit more information:

1. When you say "daily carry," what do you mean? How many hours/day will the gun be on your person, and what will you be doing when carrying?

2. Does the new gun have to be a .40 S&W, or is it just what you're used to? How opposed are you to a 9mm?

3. What is it that draws you to the P229? I'm not criticizing it, but I was wondering what features you like--it will help in recommending other

options. (FWIW, the DA/SA doesn't bother me. If you aren't a fan, they make a SAO version).

4. Will the gun have any other purpose/application beyond EDC?

Waders
I'm an old retired farmer and don't usually carry around the farm but always have one close. I'll carry when on trips to town or on the road somewhere. If a belly band is comfy I might carry around home also.

I like the .40, been shooting it for a long time. Also have plenty of ammo on hand. I just think the .40 is a bit better round.
My oldest son has a Sig P226 and strongly recommends them.

I handled a Sig quite a while back and it fit me very well. I travel to a larger city now and then and will visit gun stores to have another look.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What Old Rooster said re the Shield, Mine's also "easy to shoot well and function has been flawless." They're easy to conceal and not that expensive.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im partial to Glock 23 for a compact 40. The Sig 229 should be just fine for a carry pistol and for your use. Sig quality has dropped in my experience but still decent firearms.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the M&P 40 Shield. Mine is a joy to carry, accurate and reliable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would get the M&P Compact rather than the Shield. Spreads the recoil out in the web of your hand a bit and gives you a few more rounds.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I live in rural SE Colorado and usually have one handy but never carried daily. Re-thinking with all the crap going on in our country.
Have the paperwork ready to apply to local sheriff.

Looking at Sig P229 compact in .40. I like that caliber in an old Ruger I have that's too big to conceal for me.

sig 320 X carry in my hands is more accurate than most glocks unless they have had trigger work. The 320 compact is made in 40sw. The 320's are reasonably priced. Anyway good luck, and I agree with what is going on we never know what to expect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Waders
I'm an old retired farmer and don't usually carry around the farm but always have one close. I'll carry when on trips to town or on the road somewhere. If a belly band is comfy I might carry around home also.

I like the .40, been shooting it for a long time. Also have plenty of ammo on hand. I just think the .40 is a bit better round.
My oldest son has a Sig P226 and strongly recommends them.

I handled a Sig quite a while back and it fit me very well. I travel to a larger city now and then and will visit gun stores to have another look.

Based on that: Get the Sig 229 .40 as planned! It's your money and you only have to please yourself!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
How are you going to carry your pistol? IWB , OWB, open , or concealed? It makes a difference. I don't carry IWB and can carry a 1911, SIG P220, Browning HP, or S&W M65 4" open carry very comfortably. I carry a S&W Shield EZ 9 OWB concealed in a good fitting holster.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 06/07/20.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This looks like a pretty clean old no-rail 229, Dennis. They do run a tad higher than railed or DAK 229s.

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/sig-sauer-p229-40-s-w-pr40850/

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dla

I sure like my S-W MP 40. (Shield). I just got it this Spring and really like carrying,
either shoulder holster or IWB.

I prefer the 40 to the 9 because of larger dia and enertia. Just my preference.
Hope I never have to shoot a person. But I would .....

Last edited by jwall; 06/08/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Belly band carry I'd be looking for the slickest lines and still fit my needs. The fewer protruding levers and latches and rails the better. Belly Pain Matters. Just to keep it simple, and considering you have the admitted body type to hold a full size auto, I'd try to find a Glock 22 to run a box of rounds thru. Done considerable IWB carry with a mid sized 23 and a fair amount with a full size Model 19 9mm which is the same frame as the G22. Comfortable as your going to get and there's quite a few Police G22 trade ins for cheap now, or up till all the current crap anyway. Good luck

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Having actually carried Glock 22s and 23s, IWB under a tail out T-shirt, I can tell you for a fact that a no-rail Sig 229 with OEM grips carries just as well as either Glock- in the same old Safariland 27 that toted the Glocks,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.