Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My cousin and I were drawn for a CO mzldr elk tag. First for both of us - we're kind of excited.

I am in need of a good recipe and instructions for a conical bullet lube. Bullets we'll be using include a No Excuses .50 cal (465-grain) and a .54 cal (405-grain) maxi-ball type bullet. The latter has very large grease grooves. They'll both be seated atop a bore button wad.

Bore butter worked fine during our cold weather practice but it's going to be warm. I need something a little more solid. I have some beeswax but not sure what else to add.

Thanks in advance and be well. DJB

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought some SPG .. blocks, not tubes. Pan lubed my bullets by making a sort of shallow double-boiler. To do that, I used two metal candy tin lids, one larger and deeper than the other. I dropped some quarter inch nuts in the bigger one as spacers to keep water between the tins. Put the bullets base down int the smaller tin, then slowly added SPG 'til the level was higher than the upper lube groove. Once I had enough lube, I pulled the tin with the bullets out of the "bath" and set it on a towel to cool a bit. Let the mass set up a bit to where it is pliable but solid, then just push the bullet noses individually with my thumb popping them out the bottom of the "mass." If any of them don't fill or the process pulls the lube out, just relube them.

On the second go-around, don't melt the block of lube, first put your new bullets to lube in the old holes, then heat everything. Simpler / faster.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Is the SPG a good hot weather lube? Others I have tried are goopy and messy when loading a front stuffer. Thanks, Tom

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Is the SPG a good hot weather lube? Others I have tried are goopy and messy when loading a front stuffer. Thanks, Tom

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Although don't use maxi balls now, I hunted quite a few years with my TC Hawkin using 370 gr Maxiballs and Bore Butter in Colorado ML seasons.Never had a problem with the Bore Butter. This was when it was sold in container about a 1/2 qt size. I lubed as TOM explained but used a microwave. I also used a piece of tubing that a 50 cal Maxiball would slip thru and sort of like a cookie cutter. Don't know if they still sell it like that .The stuff in the tubes seems to be more of a paste.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
When I was a nubie I used Bore Butter because it was a TC product. Must be good? Well, I no longer use it for two reasons: 1) it is extremely aromatic. Even if you put a balloon over the muzzle your ramrod stinks and anything else that touched the stuff. When hunting I try not to advertise my presence. 2) after a period of time BB dries out and flakes off.
I have been experimenting with a mix of lanolin and beeswax. I haven't got it perfected so for the time being I use SPG.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Get yourself a pound of Bullshop’s NASA Lube, It is EXCELLENT Stuff! The Best all around Lube i have ever used with Muzzleloader Bullets

https://bullshop.weebly.com/-lubes.html

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I bought some SPG .. blocks, not tubes. Pan lubed my bullets by making a sort of shallow double-boiler. To do that, I used two metal candy tin lids, one larger and deeper than the other. I dropped some quarter inch nuts in the bigger one as spacers to keep water between the tins. Put the bullets base down int the smaller tin, then slowly added SPG 'til the level was higher than the upper lube groove. Once I had enough lube, I pulled the tin with the bullets out of the "bath" and set it on a towel to cool a bit. Let the mass set up a bit to where it is pliable but solid, then just push the bullet noses individually with my thumb popping them out the bottom of the "mass." If any of them don't fill or the process pulls the lube out, just relube them.

On the second go-around, don't melt the block of lube, first put your new bullets to lube in the old holes, then heat everything. Simpler / faster.

Tom

TOM thisis what I do, that you may find easier? I use a double pot to melt the lube. The bottom pot has water in it, the second pot the lube. I put the bullets in a silicone bread pan, but any pan you wish to use would be fine. Once the lube is melted, I just pour the lube in the pan until all groves are covered. Generally I let the lube harden for about 70 minutes and then push them out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ed makes killer conicals and knows what hes doing.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.