Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Where thieves break in, and steal".

Store up your treasures where that can't happen.

GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw a friend Cut in some double gang or maybe triple gang Remodel J boxes through out the House. Can probably get 5?k if they are large bills into one J box. Install solid Cover plates.

Or just few single J boxes with a plug.
Just hope the thief doesn’t need to plug something in. So keep that plug away from your safe

Last edited by Dre; 06/09/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Scotch and .22LR in buried, capped ABS pipe.

SHTF, paper is worth nothing beyond the first couple fool's panic days. In other times, both have practical resale value. Gold is only marginally more valuable than cash. Again, it is a commonly agreed percieved value - like greenbacks but prettier and more durable . Can't be eaten tho, and has little everyday practical use for most of us.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
What are the dimensions of $30K in 20s?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard of a couple that had a gold bar. They painted it red and put it in one of those covers that looked like a chicken. They used it as a door stop for decades.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But why would you want to keep that much cash around.[/quote]

Because....

I had a good friend ask me what he could do with a bunch of cash
he had on hand. At one time, he owned a good business that was
largely cash. At the same time, his wife worked at a job where she was
earning a working man's wages in tips, on weekends. They hid everything possible, he even had a bunch she never knew about (good thing, divorced).

Anyway, he didn't tell me a number, but he mentioned shoeboxes.
Yes, multiple.
And he couldnt just deposits or invest it. It was not exactly legal
money.

Our conversation was 20+ years into a second marriage, and he still
had those shoeboxes. Was always curious how much it was the day
he sold out.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here you go. No need to thank me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two different situations - cash from cash businesses vs. emergency cash. Reading between the lines, I think the OP was talking about emergency cash. As others have noted, in a true national emergency cash may have value for only a couple/few days given what's happened in other countries over the past hundred years. Also as others have noted, that cash depreciates over time, and would even faster in a grave national emergency.

Hope someone will enlighten me if I'm missing something, but the only use I can see for that amount of emergency cash is transportation - either (1) buying transportation and fuel immediately upon the onset of a national emergency or (2) to quickly disappear, get transportation (private plane(s)?) somewhere, and start a new life if one got crossways with the wrong kind of folks. That's probably about the amount of cash needed for the second scenario, but I try to avoid the kind of folks that people run from.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

A stack roughly 15 inches tall.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Put it in a waterproof bag, stuff bag inside of appropriate sized PVC pipe glue caps on the ends of PVC pipe and keep track of where you buried it.

If your intent on keeping it in cash, then properly wrapped and buried would be my suggestion. Protect it from fire!

Buy a Food Saver and vacuum pack it. Then put it in a water tight container.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Originally Posted by ironbender

A stack roughly 15 inches tall.

It'll fit in a shoe box. Don't ask me how I know.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm afraid it'll mold or rust or something if I don't buy that next gun....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by blindshooter
I'm afraid it'll mold or rust or something if I don't buy that next gun....

It can also burn a hole in your pocket.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Two different situations - cash from cash businesses vs. emergency cash. Reading between the lines, I think the OP was talking about emergency cash. As others have noted, in a true national emergency cash may have value for only a couple/few days given what's happened in other countries over the past hundred years. Also as others have noted, that cash depreciates over time, and would even faster in a grave national emergency.

Hope someone will enlighten me if I'm missing something, but the only use I can see for that amount of emergency cash is transportation - either (1) buying transportation and fuel immediately upon the onset of a national emergency or (2) to quickly disappear, get transportation (private plane(s)?) somewhere, and start a new life if one got crossways with the wrong kind of folks. That's probably about the amount of cash needed for the second scenario, but I try to avoid the kind of folks that people run from.

23yrs ago, big flood in Grand Forks, ND, 50K people mandatory evacuated. My friend owned an essential business and stayed. Due to the flooding, most of town had no electricity and those few businesses that were deemed "essential" and were therefore open, were only dealing in cash as electronic payment methods were sketchy due to the flooding. My friend ended up having to drive 50Mi one way to the next town to find an ATM that would dispense. Everything in town was either out of cash, or unable to communicate.

I know I don't know enough about "Doomsday Scenarios" to know how to be prepared for the end of days, but, some cash on hand to buy a week or 2 worth of groceries or a full tank of fuel sure seems prudent. In fact, I think it's foolish to travel without enough cash to at least buy enough gasoline to get yourself home, wherever that is.

Last edited by horse1; 06/09/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Snyper
I've made fake bird houses for "storing" various small items.

They are normal aside from the black screen that covers the inside of the entrance to keep birds and wasps from nesting.

No one ever pays attention to them.

Since anyone that has computer access can
can see this, the birdhouse is now one of the
first places I'd look if I were a crook or a cop.
The cops here always look in toilet tanks, A/C
ducts, phoney electrical outlets, phoney can stash
boxes, sink traps, couch and chair cushions,
pockets of clothes in closets, lots of formerly
smart places to hide when they're doing drug
raids here.

Just me, if I'm going to hide a pile of bills,
It'll be out in the sticks in a non- metallic
container. In a gnarly place where nobody
in their right mind would want to go

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

True, but the same thing would be true for money in a bank or even a brokerage account. In a doomsday scenario, it’s all going to heck. The only thing left then is what you can physicall protect from roving gangs.

I learned back in my trucking days that there is a difference between cash and other forms of payment in many scenarios. Having enough Benjamins to pay for a problem will get many a mechanic to come out and roll around in the wet snow at 11 pm. Probably because he can hide it from the wife, ex or the government. I don’t care, I will never be without enough cash to pay for a trip across the country, a substantial car repair or medical expense.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy AMZN.

After the unemployment compensation from the pandemic is paid for with inflation thus robbing savings,........ the original value of the money will still be there.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As far as any SHTF/ TEOTWAWKI scenario, if you're
not already ready and have your food and ammo and
a nearly full gas tank on a ready-to-use vehicle, well
you're more than likely SOL
Trying to run out to Walmart and stock up after the
fact doesn't really work well at all.

I would have figured that that lesson would have
been brought home from all this BS we've put up
with these last few months

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was talking about how I didn't see $30k being useful except in very limited circumstances. Having enough cash to deal with emergencies is imperative (unless you've got something to barter that the person who can help you wants more). However, most of a $30k stash wouldn't be usable under scenarios the vast majority of us would ever encounter, so it's a waste to stash that much unless the person thinks having to quickly disappear is a realistic scenario.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Dutch

True, but the same thing would be true for money in a bank or even a brokerage account. In a doomsday scenario, it’s all going to heck. The only thing left then is what you can physicall protect from roving gangs.

I learned back in my trucking days that there is a difference between cash and other forms of payment in many scenarios. Having enough Benjamins to pay for a problem will get many a mechanic to come out and roll around in the wet snow at 11 pm. Probably because he can hide it from the wife, ex or the government. I don’t care, I will never be without enough cash to pay for a trip across the country, a substantial car repair or medical expense.

This ^^^^^^ .... Back when I traveled on a regular basis, especially outside the U.S., I always had several crisp new Benjamins in the back of my wallet. Called it my "Get out of Dodge" money.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 21 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.