Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from cdn2.newsok.biz]
Boston Braves pitcher Warren Spahn on Sept. 28, 1952. [AP Photo/John Lindsay]

Seeing this photo of Warren Spahn reminds me of the TV ad I made with him for Champlain Oil Co. in Oklahoma City. He pitched to me (the batter) and my older brother was the catcher. I remember it was a wiffle ball Mr. Spahn was throwing and I wouldn't swing if I thought it was a ball. After two or three takes, with me just standing there watching the ball, the ad man told me to swing, no matter where the ball went. The next pitch was way high, but I swung my guts out anyway. I remember seeing myself on TV with the Great Oklahoman Warren Spahn.

Here is an article from a 72-year old Oklahoman about his memories of baseball, growing up in OKC. I'm sure many of you can relate. He mentions playing with the neighborhood kids in the empty lots we seemed to always have around our houses, and he seems to have attended the same Kansas City A's vs NY Yankees game that I did in 1963, in Kansas City.

'Love of sports began with baseball'

I am 72 years old and for many years now the primary source of sports zeal for me has been as a college football fan. It was not always that way. My love of sports began with baseball.

At the age of 5 I became a very severe asthmatic. For a time it was so bad I could not attend school (in the 1950s). There were nights when I slept in a chair enveloped by a steam tent to enable me to breathe. My father thought it unlikely I would ever play sports, but did play catch with me and taught some about batting.

When I was in the fourth grade, baseball teams where chosen on the playground at recess. I had never played and, I suppose it was obvious to all who came out. When teams were chosen, there was an odd number of players. Instead of being chosen last, I was not chosen at all.

That evening one of the team captains called me at home and told me he would like for me to play on his team. I was overjoyed to be included, to have this opportunity to participate. He knew I was a poor bet. Thank God for his awareness or parents’ counsel in making the call.

The grade school guys recognized that I wrote left-handed and was batting right-handed. I didn’t even know you could bat left-handed and when they showed me, my hitting and confidence soared.

You see, baseball was my sport. Its slow pace that fans often complain about was perfect for an asthmatic kid who needed opportunities to catch his breath. Furthermore, I was scrawny, a grade above Mahatma Ghandi. I didn’t have the wind for basketball and was pretty undersized for football. I needed long huddles! But in baseball, I could not only catch my breath, I could work to hit for average instead of power, learn to bunt, perfect a slide and run fast since I had time to recover. Sadly, although fielding was a skill I could have developed, I never did that consistently.

From the sandlot, I discovered America’s pastime. Those were the days of the Saturday afternoon “Game of the Week” hosted by Dizzy Dean. I first fell in love with the Milwaukee Braves. My father was a Yankees fan and I embraced the team that beat them in the 1957 World Series. I discovered if you wrote to a MLB team they would mail you a number of team artifacts, for free. I could even write individual players, enclose a post card, they would autograph and return it. I got Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette, Joe Adcock and one non-brave, Stan Musial.

My friends and I spent much of our meager disposable income on baseball cards. When we played inside we would trade cards and create our own fantasy teams.

But I could play baseball! It was the baby boom days. There were vacant lots in our neighborhood and all summer long we would have sandlot games. There were enough boys in the neighborhood within a 4 year age range to get two full teams together. A couple of us would get on the dial phones, set a time, call the other guys and go play. I imagine our stay-at-home moms were glad to have us out of the house. Yes, this was Oklahoma and yes we did still play if the temperature was 105 degrees.

One of my friends had a grandmother who lived in Kansas City and was a baseball fan. In the summer of 1963, he invited me to spend a week with him at her Kansas City home. I had never been out of Oklahoma or Kansas. The fountains, the Country Club Plaza, what a treat they were. But the real treat was Granny took us to six games at old Municipal Stadium, home of the Athletics. The first game we attended we were able to sit near the dugouts and players signed autographs for us. Then the game, Early Wynn, an aging pitcher who had been stuck on 299 wins for more than a season, got the start for Cleveland. He pitched five innings. The tribe led 5-4. If the Athletics would continue in their mediocrity, we would, yes, they did, and we saw Early Wynn get his 300th victory. The next weekend was saw a doubleheader with the classic Yankees team: Mantle, Berra, Howard, Skowron, and others.

Many years later I lived in Kansas City as adult. A friend and I would occasionally go from our downtown offices directly to Royals Stadium. We would eat a hotdog and watch batting practice. That included Carl Yastremski among others. General admission tickets were $1.50. We were there the night in 1976 when the Royals clinched their first trip to the playoffs, even though they lost that game. Cookie Rojas pitched his glove, ran to the outfield and jumped in the water display.

Baseball for me, became softball. One of the great attributes of the sport is its adaptability for long term exercise and fellowship. From 1973-1996, around age 48, like many others, slow pitch softball was a treasured pursuit. Church leagues, both male and co-ed provided memorable fellowship as well as an outlet. I am convinced there is softball in heaven. But when I no longer craved 7 innings of play and hoped to be limited to 3.5 innings, I knew the end was near.

I admire the Thunder, but its Dodger season tickets that I buy. Yes, the game is slow, but it is a relaxing evening and the crowds are manageable. My love of sports began with baseball, and I still love it.

Rev. Stan Basler

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent I enjoyed reading that

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Fugging Rick.

I cant click on schit.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I remember him. Long time ago

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Opposing teams often declared. ‘Spahn and Sain and pray for rain’

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Spahn was a great one.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Spain and Sain and pray for rain.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Good story.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Completed 382 out of 665 games started, in the course of 21 seasons in the majors. Can you imagine the number of pitches that came out his hand, yet no major injuries? Amazing, especially in contrast to today's 5-6 inning per start pitchers. Different day and age, different styles of hitting and pitching.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Opposing teams often declared. ‘Spahn and Sain and pray for rain’

I think that was his team's fans who said that. The rest of the pitching staff was weak.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to see Spahn when I was 13, at my dad's WWII Army Division reunion in Milwaukee.

Spahn stopped by to talk with his fellow Battle of the Bulge vets. Also saw Stan Musial, since the Cards were in town and stayed in our hotel. Saw Bob Gibson, too. Think Gibson was a rookie, or close to it, at the time? Mom took his picture and we didn't know who he was until later, just that he was one of the Cardinals in our hotel.

Also my first Major League game, since.they had tickets/transportation to the ball park Friday night for us kids.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting on so many levels. I always admired Warren when he was playing and came to admire him even more when I later started to read about all of the records that he had set. He was an amazing person. Beyond baseball, there was his brush with death on the Ludendorff Bridge as well as his role as a German soldier on an episode of "Combat". The Rev.'s story about seeing Early Wynn going for his 300th win is also interesting in that we had seen him at The Met in Bloomington a short time earlier. I have the slide picture that Dad asked him to pose for.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
He was on of my baseball heros when I was a kid in Milwaukee.Him, Eddy Matthew`s,Johnny Logan,Hank Aaron.Del Crandall,Billy Bruton all had time to come to the cheap bleacher seats and sign autographs for us kids.

Last edited by Huntz; 06/09/20.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wrong Spahn- - - - - -the first mental image that came to mind when I saw this post was George Spahn, the blind 80 year old movie ranch owner who let the Manson family live rent-free in exchange for chores and a little roll in the hay with one of those stinky hippie girls on occasion.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a couple of pretty good pitchers on a team I coached one year. My saying was "Conrad and Sutton, after that...nuttin' "

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
He was on of my baseball heros when I was a kid in Milwaukee.Him, Eddy Matthew`s,Johnny Logan,Hank Arron.Del Crandall,Billy Bruton all had time to come to the cheap bleacher seats and sign autographs for us kids.

We had to drive 90 miles, but my father, brother, and I spent a lot of time watching the Braves. I don't think you can watch batting practice or infield practice like you could back then. Players related well with youngsters at the fence or dugout.

Warren Spahn could have been the answer to a great trivia question................if he had only played with Braves the last season in Milwaukee (1965). Spahn hit at least one home run in every season with the Milwaukee Braves 1953-1964. Don't think you can name another Brave who did the same.

I watched a game with the Dodgers at Milwaukee that last season. Koufax was pitching. ~5000 fans. Couldn't believe that.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I was just a little kid when I first heard that saying ‘Spahn and Sain and pray for rain” never knew the real story—here’s another one—“Me and Paulie gonna win 60 this year!”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GrandView
Warren Spahn could have been the answer to a great trivia question................if he had only played with Braves the last season in Milwaukee (1965). Spahn hit at least one home run in every season with the Milwaukee Braves 1953-1964. Don't think you can name another Brave who did the same....

Mr. Mathews comes to mind.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
602 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.