Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a Snow Peak stove and it works great for what I use it for. When I am in the backcountry I only boil water with it which means that one of those small canisters can last me 5 days if I am careful. However I always take along an unnecessary second canister because I have read of cases where backpackers had problems with the canister not re-sealing when the stove is removed and the gas slowly leaks out and then they are stuck with no fuel. I have NEVER had this happen in dozens of trips, but out of fear I take along the added weight of a second canister. Does anyone know of or use some kind of small screw cap on the canister to make sure no gas escapes after the stove is removed? If I could find something like that I would leave the second canister in truck and enjoy a lighter pack.

BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I carry the second canister also as a back-up and would love to know if there is a solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think there is some risk when the stove is left on the canister, so I always remove the stove once it's cooled down. There is a small amount of gas that escapes when screwing on/off the stove, but have never lost gas when the stove is removed.

I don't bring a second canister unless I think I'm going to use all my fuel and then I just upsize my canister instead of carrying two.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I carry another small canister as back up as well.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chiro
I carry another small canister as back up as well.

Boiling water for five days for one man with one 8 oz. (actually weighs 13 oz. because empty canister weighs 5 oz.) is pushing it IMHO. I weigh my canisters after use and mark the weight on the bottom of the canister with a magic marker. For five days I would take a half-empty canister and a full canister.

If you don't have a half-empty canister then Chiro's idea of carrying a small canister is not a bad idea.

Last edited by KC; 06/09/20.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It really depends on how efficient your stove and pot are, and how aggressively you boil your water. I find that getting water just barely to a boil is plenty to re-hydrate my freeze-dried meals in the advertised time. If you really get your water to a rolling boil each time, then you'll use more fuel. I use an Olicamp XTS pot and a Soto Windmaster stove that I run on low flame until the water just starts to boil, and can get over 30 such boils to an 8 oz can of fuel.

Having said that, I always carry a small backup canister of fuel just because I'm always thinking of the rare case where a canister leaks and leaves a guy with no fuel.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Used those canisters and that stove for years, never had an issue with leaks. That said I carry a single wall cup which I can use to boil water in a fire if need be. I usually have a small fire at night anyway. Often use hardly any fuel. I would never carry a double wall cup or nonstick cup/pot for this reason--you are marrying yourself to your stove which is pretty silly in an emergency situation.

Last edited by TX35W; 06/09/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by KC

Boiling water for five days for one man with one 8 oz. (actually weighs 13 oz. because empty canister weighs 5 oz.) is pushing it IMHO.

Wow... I have done 10 days on a single small canister. I guess I was only cooking breakfast, coffee, and dinner, and that's with a jetboil.

Like Jordan said though... there are a lot of factors. If you don't have water and are melting snow, all bets are off - that's the only time I've run out of fuel (and the worst time to run out of fuel).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
822 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 79 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.