Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Reba Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is anyone using a Tablet as a GPS?

I would like to use a Tablet as a GPS where there is no WiFi. Is this possible?

Not talking about a city street type GPS, but a wilderness type GPS with a map back ground, such as OnX.

Will I need an external antenna or other stuff?

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Apple iPad

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ppfd
Apple iPad

iPad or iphone, must have cellular capability. Yes, it works in areas without cell coverage. Have been using an iPad as a backup chart plotter in remote waters for several years.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

My son was doing some crazy col stuff on his Android phone here in AK.

If you have no cell service you need to preload topo maps and aerials ahead of time.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I use the Samsung SM-T380 with Backcountry Navigator when riding the RZR in the WV hills. Works pretty good.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can be done. Google "usb gps module" and see what you think. I didn't read past the first page. Mapping software I wouldn't even guess.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Until you said "not as a road thing" I had a suggestion. I have a car GPS that also doubles as a minimal tablet. It's very useful at times because I can use it to find things like a hotel, and then use it to make a reservation. Android-based. It's a Rand McNally (the maps are great) OverDryve 7c.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You can use an IPad with OnX provided you download maps of your region, preferably using wifi, before you go. With good cell reception you can access maps on the fly but if your reception is not 4 bars + you will struggle. I sometimes use my IPad on local hunts where I have maps permanently loaded but in remote areas where you have not previously downloaded maps, it is not a very good option.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 06/09/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah it’s easy. Most (all?) android tablets, iPad with cellular (you have to have the cellular version to get the built in GPS) , or WiFi only iPad with external antenna. You don’t need reception.

I used an old Samsung $200 tablet years ago, now I’m using an iPad with an external Garmin GLO gps reciever. I used the old Samsung tablet For street navigation for a month in Europe through a ton of different countries with no cellular reception, just downloaded maps on the HERE app was awesome. I use it in my boat as a chart plotter, and in my truck for mapping and navigation in hunt units with roads with GAIA.

Lots of guys do this, truck, boat, and airplane.

Last edited by SeanD; 06/09/20.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About the chart plotter, it’s kind of funny.

Cost is proportional to screen size, so a real chart plotter with a good size screen is big bucks.

The navionics app for my tablet was $10.

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing about external receivers, the GPS standard for communications is asynchronous serial which means a serial computer port. Make sure the ports match. For a long time now USB has been replacing serial com ports. My old Garmin handheld interfaces with my old computer easily enough but I would need a serial to USB dongle for this computer.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have been wanting to do this for awhile but have not pulled the trigger on a new iPad.
My brothers both have garmins with onX which work okay but are battery sucks.
The iPad with an extra cordless tool battery should last all day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used our old Samsung Galaxy Tab A with Onx while 4 wheeling. The program works fine offline but this tablet is sooo slow. A faster tablet would be much less frustrating. Also, it has poor screen resolution so smaller roads and trails will disappear when you zoom out for bigger look at the country.
A newer model would likely work very well.

You don't need any kind of antenna. With OnX, download the maps you want at home with WIFI. Then switch Onx to offline. The maps work great with no cell service or wifi. Your only limiting factor is battery life.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mini ipad is what I use for GPS when flying and it works great off line.

The only concern I would have is power. You're going to need an external battery source or ability to charge.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Reba Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
On X told me I could use a tablet or cellphone for the same cost.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 64 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.