Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jericho
Im surprised the Howa M1500 in 6.5X55MM isnt popular

Why?

Name a single European cartridge other than the 7.62x39 that is popular enough in the U.S. to sell in a sufficient sustainable volume such that commercial firearms manufacturers would be justified in cataloging it as a regular production item in 2020? And, even if REM/RUG/SAV/WIN were building them, how many dealers would want to buy them if they couldn't expect to turn the inventory quickly?

GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I love the Vanguards, easy to got to shoot well, reliable, dependable. Great value for money. Trust them enough that I bought on in .375 for an upcoming cape buffalo hunt.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I might add that most popular would be a 7mm Mauser, how many American manufactures have produced that chamber in mass quantities? Very few.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rossimp
I might add that most popular would be a 7mm Mauser, how many American manufactures have produced that chamber in mass quantities? Very few.

It used to be popular in the 20s and 30s, but now it's a cult cartridge like a bunch of others that will remain unnamed in the interest of peace and harmony. Most are fine rounds, but have fallen off the radar because they don't sell well enough to make it as regular catalog items. Don't mistake enthusiasm for popularity. Even the nearly identical 7/08, with all the 7x57 wrinkles ironed out, just barely hangs on here and there. Fans of the excellent, but struggling cartridges need to keep their eyes peeled for special runs and other opportunities for scratching their itches.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have owned 2 dozen of them Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard. The bolt stop "issue" is a WWW thing.

I don't know, OEH. Maybe the bolt stop "issue" is a 24hourcampfire thing?

Below is a list of fellow members, at our site, who have reported a problem with the bolt stop. From a post I made 7 years ago. I don't own a Howa/Vanguard and don't have a dog in this fight.

LeonHitchcox
Sask_Hunter
greydog
sdgunslinger
Sevens
calikooknic

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8411121/1

I post on other forums, if that makes my claim more legit on the broken bolt stop. Mine hasn't left the safe in years due to that weakness. I've asked several gunsmiths to put a side bolt release on it like the Nosler rifles to no avail or to install a stronger screw (wasn't enough room to do so). If I could get that one issue fixed, would customize the rifle and hunt it a lot more as it was my first rifle.

Everything else about the rifle is great though (one piece bolt, M16 extractor, robust action, etc.).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I currently own a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 270 Win. Shoots great ( 3/4 MOA). Impressive trigger. Nice stock. No flies on it.

I used to own a Howa 1500 sporter in 308 Win. Sent it back to Howa for a recall on the bolt. Never had an issue with it before or after the recall. Shot well ( just under MOA). Gave it to my niece. Used to have a S&W 1500 (Howa) in 222 Rem. Nice rifle. Shot 1.25 moa. Sold it. Had two other 222 Rems. Didn't need it. Liked them all.

My only gripes are: I wish the 308 Win had a 1-12" twist, not 1 -10" . I wish my 270 Win had a heavier barrel. It has a 0.625" muzzle diameter. Wish it was closer to 0 .68" . That is just a personal preference, not a problem. I like muzzle heavy rifles.

Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard rifles are well-made, well-designed, and high-value firearms.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sevens
I post on other forums, if that makes my claim more legit on the broken bolt stop. Mine hasn't left the safe in years due to that weakness. I've asked several gunsmiths to put a side bolt release on it like the Nosler rifles to no avail or to install a stronger screw (wasn't enough room to do so). If I could get that one issue fixed, would customize the rifle and hunt it a lot more as it was my first rifle.

Everything else about the rifle is great though (one piece bolt, M16 extractor, robust action, etc.).

I should have used the "tongue in cheek" smiley when I posted that! I believe what you and the others are saying. That bolt stop screw looks tiny, and I could imagine how it would fail.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I forgot that I bought a stainless Howa 1500 in 6.5CM back in February. Damn, I wonder what else I bought and forgot about!

Did you get in on GunBroker by chance? There was one seller that sold several that were NIB. One landed at my place.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by drano 25
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I forgot that I bought a stainless Howa 1500 in 6.5CM back in February. Damn, I wonder what else I bought and forgot about!

Did you get in on GunBroker by chance? There was one seller that sold several that were NIB. One landed at my place.

Mine came from Barrels & Arrows in Marshall, MN, $371 plus $35 shipping. It got booked into my bound book on 02/20/20. Now it has been bedded into a B&C Weatherby-style Medalist stock that I bought from Fishey05 back in November.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Sevens
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have owned 2 dozen of them Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard. The bolt stop "issue" is a WWW thing.

I don't know, OEH. Maybe the bolt stop "issue" is a 24hourcampfire thing?

Below is a list of fellow members, at our site, who have reported a problem with the bolt stop. From a post I made 7 years ago. I don't own a Howa/Vanguard and don't have a dog in this fight.

LeonHitchcox
Sask_Hunter
greydog
sdgunslinger
Sevens
calikooknic

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8411121/1

Why don’t you put a larger machine screw in? Takes about 15m. The bolt stop is robust enough. The machine screw that holds it could be beefier. I have not had any problems however. I run the snot out of mine. Second barrel and still no issues.

Last edited by akaSawDoctor; 06/09/20.
IC B3

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have four S2 Vanguards and one pre-S2 Vanguard in the family. I’ve been impressed by them. They seem to have better fit and finish than the Howa’s I’ve seen. In fairness though it’s been five or six years since I’ve held a Howa, maybe the newer ones are better.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If the bolt-stop screw was an issue, it'd be an easy fix for Howa or users to correct. Since the factory apparently hasn't addressed it, I figure it's nothing much to worry about. Actually, I've never looked at it on mine. Have to give it a look next time I have one apart.

Shiitfire,

Add ratsmacker to the list above.

Jason

To be clear, it's not the bolt stop itself, but the screw, which is danged near small enough to be on eyeglasses. They shear off pretty easily. Maybe they're heat-treated too hard?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
E
E
I have had 3 Vanguards. A 257 Wby mag, a .308, & a .223. Al. Were very accurate right out of the box. they fit me well. No complaints.

Ed
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What everyone else said...Ive had two Howas and NO issues...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ponderosa11
Also seems like they don't have quite the reputation for accuracy that rifles like Tikkas have, although people seem to think they're accurate.

Are there other issues with Howas that I should be aware of?

I have a stainless Vanguard with a McMillan stock, and Timney Trigger, (mine is older than the models with an S2 trigger) which I hear is an improvement over previous factory triggers.
I love that rifle, the action is a smooth operation, a real bargain in quality for the price.

My Vanguard is as accurate as either of my two Tikkas, all three will hold MOA groups with several different loads.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Friend of mine who helps with my kennel of 18 freight dogs owns no hunting rifle. Shopped around and will be gifting him a 30-06 Howa. Under $400 at sportmans with veteran discount. 5-down steel bottom metal. One heck of a deal.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Friend of mine who helps with my kennel of 18 freight dogs owns no hunting rifle. Shopped around and will be gifting him a 30-06 Howa. Under $400 at sportmans with veteran discount. 5-down steel bottom metal. One heck of a deal.

You put your friend in a spot. It'll be harder than a mother in law's heart for him to justify the "need" for another rifle.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have 3 vanguards. No problems. The only one I have used much is a 300 Wby. The stock shape must fit me well I don't notice recoil much with it.
Also have 2 30-06s. I am pleased with the accuracy too.
I mounted a scope on a Howa .223 and sighted it in for a friends daughter. That one was a real shooter. She has piled up the bucks with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was shooting beside a friend at the range while he was sighting his 300 Weatherby in. The little screw that holds the bolts stop sheared off. That was about 2008.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Their Mini's wear a Goat Fhuqked proprietary magazine,that does NO favors in COAL,logistics,wear/tear or pricing. Hint.

Their "308" actions are sound and the COAL rather fhuqking favorable. That being said,they HORRIBLY botch twist rates and Goat Fhuqk some platforms that would be Skookum otherwise. Hint.

Their Long Actions suck horrid ass,due trite COAL constraints and are an easy pass. Hint.

Stocks are hit and miss,but MUCH easier to chase than RPM and often COAL. Hint.

Have yet to break a bolt stop,though I'm still trying. Hint.

The triggers tend to adjust nicely and receivers are farrrrrrrr more static in dimensioning,than most. Hint.

The VG's are FAR and away Weatherby's best offerings. Hint.

They could REALLY do some nice thangs on the 308 receiver,due inherent COAL,if one of their Bean Counters actually shot a fhuqking live round once and applied "all" that "experience". Hint.

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,210
Posts18,466,186
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.