Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am talking about the 6x45mm (6mm/223), 6.5 Grendel, Hornady's new 6mm ARC, and others, designed with the AR platform in mind. Since we cannot use an AR for hunting, do you see value in any of these cartridges? .

THIS IS NOT A POST LOOKING FOR ARGUMENTS/DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE RESTRICTED USE OF ARs IN CANADA!!!! WE GET THAT. IT"S A CARTRIDGE QUESTION.

1. How many people here have a bolt action or single shot hunting/varmint rifle in one these or other cartridges?

2. Do you think that a 6.5 Grendel or 6x45mm used from a bolt action or single shot rifle is something you would consider?

3. If you already own a bolt action or single shot rifle chambered in one of these "AR cartridges", what motivated you to get it (them)?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Personally, living in Southern Ontario, I don’t need anything over .223 for varmints. And I don’t want to hunt deer or moose with smaller than 7mm. So anything in between is useless to me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The only centre fire ammunition I use to hunt varmints has been the 22-250. Kind of mundane I suppose but it is a good round.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I guess there aren't many bolts or SS rifles with cartridges inspired by the AR, up here.

We had Ruger Americans chambered in 6.5 Grendel here for a while. This chambering isn't being advertised by Cabelas or smaller stores that I can see.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,

I'm a firm believer in modest cartridges like the ones you mentioned, and some others as well. I'm on my second Grendel, the first not being quite what I wanted. Have yet to shoot anything with it, but its ballistics put it within striking distance of the original ballistics of the .250 and even the .243, but with great bullets like the 129gr ABLR and 120gr Gold Dot. Leaves the .25/35 in the dust, except maybe for the panache or cool factor. It's been decades since I took a whack at a deer at over 100 yards; the places I hunt just don't offer such shots. While I've not clocked it yet, the load I'm working with now, the Gold Dot over a near-max load of PP 2000MR, zeroed at 100 yards is only about 1 1/2" low at 150, and doesn't fall below 1000 foot pounds of energy until 325. Velocity remains above 1800 past that. Actually, the load data shows it going somewhat faster than the 2500fps I used for my figures, but I went with the lower number to adjust for my slightly shorter barrel. The point of all this is that with good bullets and good shooting, the modest cartridges deliver plenty of deer power, while using about 2/3 the powder, and with very mild recoil and potentially long barrel life. I put the 6.8, within the first 200yards or so, in the same class, with the Russkie 7.62 a bit behind.

I've been thinking about a 6x45 for a while, but with the ARC out there, I'd go with that now, probably in a Howa, but maybe in a TC barrel. A lot of 6mm bullets have wandered into my stash, so it makes perfect Loony sense to get something (other than my .243 and 6CM) to use them up.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt moose, elk, mule deer and whitetail. I hunt with 260, 6.5-06, 6.5mmRM, 264WM 30-06, 308Norma, 338-06, 338WM, 350RM and 358Norma.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you well and if it's wet in your area of the world as it's been here, then warm and dry too.

While I missed this the first time around, I'll answer as follows.

1. Currently I don't own any of the initially mentioned cartridges based on the .223 case other than a bolt gun in .223.

2. While I'm loathe to "ever say never", at this point I can't see building anything like a 6.5 Grendel - have a Swede and am much enamored with it - or a 6x45 as I'd likely lean towards a 6 Creed instead.

3.When I first picked up the .223 bolt gun, it was one of the first 1:8 twist Ruger Americans that crossed the medicine line. I found one at Prairie Gun Traders and I think Epps had one too, but anyways I wanted to try longer .223" bullets to see if I could stretch them in the wind a wee bit.

Way back in the early '90's I built a dedicated coyote bomber, but it's a .22-.250AI with a 1:14 twist like we all built back then, so 55gr is the sweet spot with it for wind drift, accuracy and velocity. Honestly life sorta got in the way for my plans to play at extended ranges, but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to perhaps finally get to it more this upcoming summer. I've got many boxes of 75gr A-Max and a good variety of powders, now all I need is the time!

Since we're not working around the AR action length, it just makes more sense to me to pick the overall characteristics of the cartridge I'm interested in and go from there - usually with a bolt gun, but not ruling out single shots either.

Hopefully that made sense sir. All the best to you all as we head into summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 6x45 needs the appropriate light walking around platform for the conversion.

I’ve been thinking a lot about converting a 222 Sako to 20 Practical for the gopher / fox role that the 22-250 overpowers.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I currently own 2 6x45, 300 AAC, 223, 223AI , 222 .

7mmTCU and 222 Single Shots

I have previously owned another 6x45 , 2 6x47 Remington a number of other 223 and 222 and 6.8spc bolt action

F

Last edited by Flyer01; 06/14/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know that these cartridges would be more popular if we could hunt with them using an AR platform.

That said, the cartridges, regardless of which action is used, have proven themselves. As more AR based cartridges appear, the numbers in Canada will only increase.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I emailed MGM about their 6 & 6.5 Grendel barrels, asking if the G2 was a good platform for those or merely adequate. No answer yet, but while ruminating over it, I thought about the 7-30 Waters. It out runs the Grendel by a good bit and at lower pressure. Won't work in those ARs you can't have, but it's been a popular Contender round for a long time. Hornady makes ammo with the FTX bullet, and brass. 120gr at 2700 is nothing to sneeze at.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, my Grendel barrel should be here soon. I had it made for an Encore though.

I made enquiries about having MGM build me a 30-303 barrel for the Encore. The fellow I dealt with said he has to talk to the boss. They have 308 diameter barrels and 303 british reamers. He needs the go ahead to combine the two.

I have a couple of 6x45s and will have the Grendel shortly. Having a 30-303 built for an Encore would make the 308 Win, 30-06 and the 6.5 CM obsolete!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I've got a Cooper single shot bolt action .204 Ruger and another in .17 Fireball, both heavy barrels. My calling gun is a .223 bolt action with a blind magazine (Kimber Montana). And I have a BDL style Remington 700 with a PacNor .204 Ruger sporter barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You see a few wildcats based off the .223 and 222 rem mag out west here, and some guys are going nutz on the 6ARC, 6.5 Grendel and the smaller cased stuff, but in reality , it's all about what you want too shoot , much like hot rodding and custom bikes.
Personally, I am having a great time these days with my 6mmBR , but I shoot single shot mach rifles in those little cartridges- hunting wise I use bigger stuff in my falling blocks, the smallest these days being a .260 on a Highwall.
The AR style stuff may catch on down south of the Border but I see them as a bit of an odd duck up here.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
As you've stated correctly the cartridges mentioned are based off the enormously popular AR platform. They exist mainly because they are a distinct improvement over the 223. Without the AR however, it's doubtful that they would even exist.

That being said, it's a non issue in Canada as we cannot take advantage of the platform like they can in the U.S. Not in hunting and obviously now not in competition either.

I personally can't see myself buying any of these in a bolt gun as there are better more popular options out there.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I own a 6.5 Grendel and two 6x45mms. . The Grendel is a single shot. I got it because of its capability and characteristics. Specifically, a small 6.5 that was deer capable out farther than I normally shoot. The 6x45mm are bolts that I built myself and are just about perfect for central Ontario deer ranges. Farther for coyotes. The cartridges appealed to me because of what they capable of doing, and their efficiency. There are lots of bullets available too.

Because I reload, both are appealing for their simplicity.

WRT the 6x45, 223 Rem cases are cheap, whether you buy them new or buy surplus, once fired cases. The cases are easy to form and, depending on the barrel twist, can handle bullets up to 100 gr. Seating the bullets longer than 2.26 inches in a BA repeater is an advantage over the AR platform.

The 6.5 Grendel isn't quite as cheap, but it's still an efficient cartridge. It has more punch than the 6x45mm for only a few grains more of powder.

I don't think of the firearm. I love being able to play around with cartridges.

Cartridges and firearms are always personal things. I still wonder how many cartridges originally developed for the AR platform are in use in Canada.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I find that, for myself, the older I get, the less enamored with the big cartridges I get. My primary hunting cartridges are the 6.5X55, 7mm Mauser, and the 270 Win. These do everything I need, up to and including elk. Although the cartridges you mentioned were primarily designed for the AR, they do make wonderful "deer" cartridges in bolts and singles shots, along with the AR. Everyone has their own idea of what is perfect, so there will always be arguments.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have been putting something together about the 6x45mm. I have a target rifle (It weighs 14 lb), and a walkabout rifle chambered in 6x45mm. The 6x45mm is a viable option for where I live. I have been testing bullets from 55 to 90 gr. Not all are done yet, but I will be shooting 15 in total. It keeps me out of the Corona bars. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
J
I have been shooting and reloading the 6x45mm for a number of years in the AR15 platform. Lately have been thinking of having a contender barrel chambered for this round. Looking at a longer seating depth is what I am trying to figure out now before I order a MGM barrel. Made up some dummy cartridges to see what COAL can be achieved with different bullets. For example the Sierra 85 grain Game King #1530 can be seated out to 2.400" pretty easy.

So I would like to ask those who have a 6x45mm what COAL they are getting and if they had the chamber throated long or not.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have bought a bunch of MGM barrels. When you are on the site filling in the length, barrel twist, etc., there is question about sending in a dummy cartridge for them to use to throat it. If you do not send them a dummy cartridge, it will be long throated.

I have two Shilen barrels. Both are long throated as well - not because I asked. It seems to be standard.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.