Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's something else to consider - all ST tires have a 65 mph limit. Beyond that and you're risking heat buildup. LT tires are made for much higher speeds.

ST tires have heavier cords and belts than LT's but LT's are very adequate. Here's something I copied from etrailer.com. Especially note what I put in bold print about the 2 different LT designations.

both special trailer (ST) and light truck (LT) tires can be used on a 5th wheel trailer. They are actually the only two types of tires rated for this use. The reason for this is that tires on a trailer will be subjected to much harsher conditions that require a stiffer sidewall. A condition in which passenger (P) tires are not equipped to handle. Please note there are two different light truck (LT) tires, ones with the LT designation after the wheel diameter (ex. 7.50-16LT) and ones with the LT designation before the aspect ratio (ex. LT275/80-16). The ones with the LT designation after the wheel diameter are the ones that can be used on trailers.

If you are in between a special trailer and light truck tire then try to think of it this way. The light truck tires are made for just that, light trucks but can also be used on trailers due to their sidewall capacity whereas special trailer tires are made specifically for trailers. They will perform better than a light truck tire in my opinion. The only real benefit I see of using a light truck tire is more tread patterns available which won't really matter when traveling down the open road. They are also more attainable locally.

If you can tell me what size tires are on your 5th wheel in addition to the recommend load range, I would be happy to recommend a particular option for you. The Goodyear Endurance Radial Trailer Tires are one of the best options we have. They are made in the USA and come with a limited lifetime warranty. I have attached the list of available sizes for you.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From the Tire Rack:

LT = If a tire ends with "LT," it signifies the tire is either an earlier "Numeric", "Wide Base" or "Flotation" Light Truck size designed to be used on vehicles that are capable of carrying heavy cargo and towing trailers (Numeric sizes), use 16.5-inch diameter rims (Wide Base sizes) or are wider, over sized tires designed to help the vehicle drive on top of loose dirt or sandy surfaces (Flotation sizes). This includes light, medium and heavy duty (typically 1/2-, 3/4 and 1-ton load capacity) pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles. Tires branded with the "LT" at the end of their size designation are also the "little brothers" of 18-wheel tractor-trailer tires and are designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo.

For my purposes, I choose tires that have the LT designation at the end of the size designation.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You might pick up the latest issue of Trailer Life Magazine. It has an overview of trailer tires, what's available and their recommendations. They also have a review of pressure monitor systems.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's something else to consider - all ST tires have a 65 mph limit. Beyond that and you're risking heat buildup. LT tires are made for much higher speeds.

ST tires have heavier cords and belts than LT's but LT's are very adequate. Here's something I copied from etrailer.com. Especially note what I put in bold print about the 2 different LT designations.

both special trailer (ST) and light truck (LT) tires can be used on a 5th wheel trailer. They are actually the only two types of tires rated for this use. The reason for this is that tires on a trailer will be subjected to much harsher conditions that require a stiffer sidewall. A condition in which passenger (P) tires are not equipped to handle. Please note there are two different light truck (LT) tires, ones with the LT designation after the wheel diameter (ex. 7.50-16LT) and ones with the LT designation before the aspect ratio (ex. LT275/80-16). The ones with the LT designation after the wheel diameter are the ones that can be used on trailers.

If you are in between a special trailer and light truck tire then try to think of it this way. The light truck tires are made for just that, light trucks but can also be used on trailers due to their sidewall capacity whereas special trailer tires are made specifically for trailers. They will perform better than a light truck tire in my opinion. The only real benefit I see of using a light truck tire is more tread patterns available which won't really matter when traveling down the open road. They are also more attainable locally.

If you can tell me what size tires are on your 5th wheel in addition to the recommend load range, I would be happy to recommend a particular option for you. The Goodyear Endurance Radial Trailer Tires are one of the best options we have. They are made in the USA and come with a limited lifetime warranty. I have attached the list of available sizes for you.

My good year endurance are rated for 87 mph.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Goodyear seems to have beefed up the Endurance to a higher speed rating. 65 is the industry standard.

― George Orwell

IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I told the boat trailer dealer to keep the ST tires. I picked up the rims and mounted Bridgestone R250 in the 235/85R16 size. They're a steel case tire like the Michelin XPS. They've been bomber since 2012, but I'll replace them this year due to age. They're going on the beat up 12k equipment trailer of my dad's, so those 25yo tires can be retired.

I'd be inclined to putting LT tires on whatever I could get them on, if stockers are 15" or 16".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would choose LT tires, they are stronger and safer.

ST tires may be rated for more capacity, but to get that weight rating they typically come with a lower speed rating (usually 65mph) and are not rated to carry passengers.

LT tires are rated for higher speeds, can carry passengers, and are rated for trailer use.

I am convinced the weight rating system is different, and doesn’t reflect the real world performance of the tire. You just don’t find folks that use LT tires on trailers complaining much, not true for ST tires users.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When my E rated pickup tires get down to about 25%, I put them on my horse trailer. They won't be worn out by the time I replace the pickup tires again but they'll be pretty old so the trailer will get the used pickup tires again.

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
LT vs trailer tires. Trailer tires are designed to roll, and brake. That is all they are engineered to do.

LT tires are designed to passenger safety specifications. They are designed to withstand extreme steering forces, hard acceleration, panic braking, give 50,000 to 60,000 miles of life on a pickup, minimal rolling resistance for MPG, And typically, not only are LT tires tougher, last longer, but they are usually less expensive than trailer tires.

At the house are three single axle flatbed trailers, two tandem axle horse trailers, one triple axle flatbed, a tandem axle camper trailer (22 ft heavy old school) and the tandem axle under the jet boat.

With the exception of the boat, every one of the trailers are wearing take offs from the pickups or the blazer. load range C 15 inch on the light trailers off of the Blazer. D or E 16s from the pickup on the triple axle. Some of them are coming up on 30 years since original purchase.

When I bought the boat, it had 14 inch wheels, and needed tires. It got brand new c load rated LTs from Les Schwabb, for less money than the equivalent duty, but inferior trailer rated tires.

You definitely want radials. Less heat build up, lower rolling resistance, better MPG, longer life.

Your tire dealer will recommend a proper tire size to fit your wheels and application. You MIGHT have to insist on LT tires if he tries to sell you trailer tires. He might even come up with a story to convince you the trailer tire is superior.

We bought our RV trailer used. Nice looking radial trailers tire with 90% tread remaining. A couple summers later, two of them actually exploded sitting in the driveway. Both times I was in the yard and heard it, about like a 12 ga going off in the yard.

I have never heard of a passenger or LT tire exploding like that. Maybe the old bias tires would blow out while going down the highway back in the '60s. But just sitting, parked in the drive way?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When my E rated pickup tires get down to about 25%, I put them on my horse trailer. They won't be worn out by the time I replace the pickup tires again but they'll be pretty old so the trailer will get the used pickup tires again.

Just like 90% of farmer owned trailers out there.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another vote for Goodyear Endurance. Had them on my single axle boat trailer for 3 years pulling a heavy boat.
Run 75 mph all day without a problem. Great tires.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And if you have 14” wheels you can get European “commercial” tires which are the equivalent of LT. I have 185r14 hankook vantra RA18 tires on my boat trailer, a HUGE weight limit increase over the previous 13” LR”D” Bias ply ST tires which are the highest rated 13” tires available.

Sean
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
We have just picked up a pretty slick, new to us, Thor Skamper 235T Travel Trailer.

The tires look pretty decent, but I have a hard time trusting tires that have sat for too long and a long tow. (South Dakota to Fairbanks, soon!)

Looking at tires, I am thinking I want some 8-ply D load rated tires, more for extra rigidity than carrying capacity (dry weight is only 4075, so let's say 7000 loaded)

What is the difference or reason behind bias-ply and radial variants? Any advantage with one or the other?

I have even seen some recommend LT tires for their ruggedness and use. What width are trailer rims, typically, and do LT tires fit them? I am also considering some junk-yard pulls for wheels to be able to run LT tires. (5-4.5 pattern)

Open to your advice! Thanks!
Good year endurance or Maxxis M8008.I run both no issues.

Last edited by coobie; 06/10/20.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Never found anything better than Maxxis 8008.

Lee F.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid"

-John Wayne

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Going on a fishing trip with my 26 ft fifth wheel camper in two weeks, and this thread caused me to look at my tires. I thought they would be fine, but no, the tread is separating on two of them with the steel belts visible. I wonder how I even made it home the last trip. I pull the boat behind the trailer, so it's a load.
Just ordered 4 new Maxxis 8008 10 ply E rated tires on line.

Thanks for a timely discussion, it saved me time and BS on my trip, and much cheaper to deal with it now than on the road.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Follow-up question; any on-line source that sells the wheel mounted tires you’d recommend?

I am looking at 4X GoodYear endurance 205/75R15 LRD on galvanized wheels for about $640 delivered from eCustomRims.com

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Never used them. But I think tirerack.com sells tires mounted on wheels. I have perused their website and was impressed with their prices. Once upon a time long ago.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Goodyear Endurance here for two years with no problems.
Not a lot of miles though.
Keep them out of the sun.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If your trailer mostly sits, either take the wheel/tire
off and put them back on when you get ready to
tow it, or just block it up where there won't be a
bunch of weight in one spot for a long period of time

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MM879
One of the best trailer tires available is the Maxxis 8008. The Goodyear Endurance is a contender, but is still a new tire. I've been pulling on Maxxis at +10,000lbs for many years without a failure.

I like the maxxis also, but last time out they only had carlisle, so that is what is on now, so far so good.

But I would check the date code, I like to keep pretty new tires on at all times, they are kept covered and i park the fifth wheel on large planks.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,744
Posts18,457,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.