Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LiftedYota
Which of these rifle/cartridge combinations would you choose?

Yes. Shoot bone/CNS if you want them to drop ASAP.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Black bears die pretty easy when you shoot them where you should. I wouldn’t overthink this, just take the rifle you shoot well and enjoy carrying and remember to shoot them in the front half.

This one went about 10 yards after my wife shot it with a plain old Sierra soft point out of her 270. It’s pretty dead in this picture. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve seen them shot or shot them myself with all kinds of stuff from 243Win up through 458Win as well as handguns. I rate them as easier to kill than a rutting whitetail buck.

Great looking bear!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by TheKid
Black bears die pretty easy when you shoot them where you should. I wouldn’t overthink this, just take the rifle you shoot well and enjoy carrying and remember to shoot them in the front half.

This one went about 10 yards after my wife shot it with a plain old Sierra soft point out of her 270. It’s pretty dead in this picture. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve seen them shot or shot them myself with all kinds of stuff from 243Win up through 458Win as well as handguns. I rate them as easier to kill than a rutting whitetail buck.

Great looking bear!

Yes, that was the first of multiple years where she killed a bigger bear than I did. Her and that 270 were a bear killing pair.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Never shot a bear, but have used Barnes X, XBT, XLC and TSX on small game to zebra. The smaller calibers will not make as big of a wound channel as the bigger rounds, and they tell me smile that bear have a layer of fat/hide/long hair that can soak up exit wound blood. For "big wound channels", its still hard to beat "Old School" round nose softpoints or soft spitzers. Partitons are the best of "both worlds". "if it were me" I would look for some 180gr round nose for the 30-06, barring that a 180/200 Partition. But that's just me...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had both 150 & 180 grain Barnes break elk & boar bones over 500 yards from 7 Mag & 300 Weatherby so impact velocities similar to a 30-06 under 300 yards - I’m a believer in 180 grain Barnes 2400-2700 FPS on just about anything walking. Large cow at 240 yds last season 10’ of blood on far side with a chunk of heart tissue & a 15 yard slide downhill in the snow. Use the monolithIc 30-06 With no worries.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I would take the 06. A 150 lb bear is no big deal. With a big bear, you might want more. There is no real reason to take the smaller caliber. My son and I have used the .270 Win. and it does fine. I also shot one with a . 270 Win broadside through both lungs . You will have a dead bear , problem is , this bear was jacked up. It came running into the boat pile. After I shot it ran off , and it was a terrible thing to watch is run out of sight in that thick brush. I knew the bear was dead and no harm to me . The problem is they are very hard to track and many times they dont bleed much. If I didn't find the bear that night, it would have been spoiled the next morning for sure, and I almost didn't find it and was almost dark when I did. From then on it was through the front shoulders and anchor him right there. Next bear , I will smash a big bullet , 150 gr. Hornady into the front shoulders . It wont go far at all. A good chance your 65. will work fine but what do you have to gain by using the smaller caliber?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hi all, long-time lurker here and glad to finally post something.

I am going bear hunting this year and I can use my tried and true 30-06 with 180 grain trophy copper ammo (2700 FPS) or my brand-new 6.5 creedmoor with 127 grain barnes vor-tx LR ammo (2825 FPS). Most bears are going to be under 300 lbs but I’d like them to drop as quickly as possible so I don’t have to follow them into the bush. I am going to be calling them in with distress calls so I’m not sure what size bear will show up.

Normally I’d think “go bigger” but will my 30/06 with 180 grain copper fully transfer it’s energy? This is the most accurate load for this rifle. It has worked well on elk and deer but I never saw big trauma with the deer I shot. Of course I’d like to use my brand new 6.5 creedmoor but I’ve never killed anything with it. Also I’ve never shot a bear before either so give me your advice. Which of these rifle/cartridge combinations would you choose?

There is a strong argument that once you have a .30/06 you are wasting any money that is not spent on hunting. Some cartridges may come close on paper but a hunter does not operate on theory, he is living his life, his dreams and goals and savoring every second of it. A .30/06 means all concentration is on the game, the opportunity and the moment so the cartridge, any cartridge, is not a distraction some tend to build a hunt around.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well said John👍

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The .30-06 and Black Bear are made for each other, IMO. My bullet choice is the 165 gr. TSX in the '06, not only for bear but for a large variety of game.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Either will work. I would lean to the 30.06

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know what you guys are saying—a bigger powerful caliber and a bigger bullet hurts more, but does this apply to smaller game with big copper bullets? I am concerned about bullets “penciling” through a pissed off mama bear if things go wrong.

My question is based towards those with experience shooting a lot of copper. My experience with my 30-06 180’s has been complete pass throughs with bull elk and deer, with less noticeable trauma on the deer. It has worked great but now that I’m hunting bear (alone I might add) I am more concerned about the animal running 50 yards into the brush, and me having to go after it or having to go get back up to do it safely.

I know that some people would answer “shoot the 150’s or 130 grain coppers super fast out of the ‘06” but I don’t handload and the 150 grain bullets are less accurate out of my rifle.

Barnes bullets don’t tend to pencil through anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I have a guide friend who calls the 6.5, the "needmore." Says results on Texas and NM big game are dismal and no longer allows hunters to use it. He admits he does not check what bullet they are using, just caliber. IMO, the 6.5 was never meant to be a hunter cartridge, it was designed for long range target shooting. I'd stick with the '06, and might even opt for a 200grain bullet.

Would he allow a client to hunt with a .260 Remington or a 6.5x55?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We always hunted bears here in September over bait and in our experience black bears are not that hard to kill, but they are hard to find after you shoot them. They live in close proximity to dark over grown vegetation and wet swamps and ours have come out at last light. In September they are putting on fat for the winter and growing out their coats that soaks up blood like a sponge. Bears have soft feet and don’t leave scuff marks like a deer where they run. Your experience with mono copper bullets not doing a lot of damage on deer mirrors my own and for that reason I would not use them on a black bear. Maybe a TTSX, but the TSX left such a lousy impression with me, I’m done with Barnes entirely. A heavy 180 cup and core bullet to assure complete penetration for a larger exit wound would be my choice. Probably a Hornady Interlock, Nosler Accubond or a round nose Remington Core-Lokt. You are not going to have an ideal shot angle on a called in bear and hitting only one lung might lose your bear. In that case, I would try to break a front shoulder. Bears are bigger boned and heavier muscled than a deer. Use the ‘06.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hi all, long-time lurker here and glad to finally post something.

I am going bear hunting this year and I can use my tried and true 30-06 with 180 grain trophy copper ammo (2700 FPS) or my brand-new 6.5 creedmoor with 127 grain barnes vor-tx LR ammo (2825 FPS). Most bears are going to be under 300 lbs but I’d like them to drop as quickly as possible so I don’t have to follow them into the bush. I am going to be calling them in with distress calls so I’m not sure what size bear will show up.

Normally I’d think “go bigger” but will my 30/06 with 180 grain copper fully transfer it’s energy? This is the most accurate load for this rifle. It has worked well on elk and deer but I never saw big trauma with the deer I shot. Of course I’d like to use my brand new 6.5 creedmoor but I’ve never killed anything with it. Also I’ve never shot a bear before either so give me your advice. Which of these rifle/cartridge combinations would you choose?

Take your tried and true and never believe the advertised velocity on a cartridge box.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
I have a guide friend who calls the 6.5, the "needmore." Says results on Texas and NM big game are dismal and no longer allows hunters to use it. He admits he does not check what bullet they are using, just caliber. IMO, the 6.5 was never meant to be a hunter cartridge, it was designed for long range target shooting. I'd stick with the '06, and might even opt for a 200grain bullet.

I’m guessing you aren’t very informed on 6.5’s. Hunting round way before a target round. Started as a military round. Been around longer than the 30-06 too. Lots of animals, including moose, have died for years from the swede.

My 260 with a 140 Berger ain’t a slouch I assure you. I would have no qualms using it for pretty much everything North America has to offer.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the 30-06, and will never be without one. A 6.5 is very capable though. Creedmoor and 260 are very much ballistically the same. So I would use one no problem

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Apart from the question mark, I don’t even understand how this is a question...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

I’m guessing you aren’t very informed on 6.5’s. Hunting round way before a target round. Started as a military round. Been around longer than the 30-06 too. Lots of animals, including moose, have died for years from the swede.

My 260 with a 140 Berger ain’t a slouch I assure you. I would have no qualms using it for pretty much everything North America has to offer.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the 30-06, and will never be without one. A 6.5 is very capable though. Creedmoor and 260 are very much ballistically the same. So I would use one no problem

The guide friend is simply being silly. While I'm not the typical fanboy of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I do own one and use it often. It performs every bit as good as my rifles in 6.5x55 and 7mm08 for medium big game. It isn't as capable as the 30-06 for larger game, but for the game animals discussed in this thread it is more than capable, and every bit as good. Perhaps better.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Brad
Apart from the question mark, I don’t even understand how this is a question...

Same here.

As many have said, either choice would work.

I wouldnt think twice about shooting a black bear with a .223 and a good mono...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
here in Minnesota most bears are shot over baits so shots are close ,less than 100 yards .for that reason the 30-06 is the better cartridge with the most power and good enough accuracy. don`t forget the 30-06 is been around for so many years ammo is easy to buy,find,borrow any place in the world too ! as far as copper ammo i will be using 180 gr. Nosler partitions in my 30-06 and that`s lead !

Last edited by pete53; 06/27/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Six black bears this spring by Riley and friends... .243, 25-06, 7SAUM, 30-06, and 300WM (x2) and all using TTSX all but one died in their tracks. the lone runner lost his entire heart and made a circular run while painting everything under him. That was the 7SAUM and the shot was essentially perfect, just took too much heart out and turned the suction side of the pump off.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.