Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ok Fellers, my folks want to arm themselves due to all the groids running amok in Big D. Dad is 81 & has very mild Parkinsons. He uses a cane, but he can walk without it. He spends time doing projects around the house, and he exercises daily. He's pretty good mentally, but has lapses sometimes where he repeats himself. Mom is 77 and is in great shape and is sharp as a tack. She was quite the marksman w/ a .22 rifle in her youth.

There's no way in hell Dad can handle a 12 GA, & I have my doubts he could even handle a 20.

He mentioned that Hannity recommended some kind of orange plastic pistol that shoots tear gas and rubber bullets. I told him that sounded like a good way to get sued and if he ever had such an encounter, he needed something with considerably more authority to permanently end the threat.

I spoke to Ranger_Green and we both decided that a JM Marlin in .45 Colt w/ reduced cowboy action loads would be an excellent choice for him and if she's interested, a JM 39A for Mom - either that or a Ruger Single six, nine or ten or possibly a Mark IV.

Does the forum concur?

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/10/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ruger 10/22 for both, plus a couple Ruger LCR .22's

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
GreatWaputi: Another good option.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by High_Noon
ok Fellers, my folks want to arm themselves due to all the groids running amok in Big D. Dad is 81 & has very mild Parkinsons. He uses a cane, but he can walk without it. He spends time doing projects around the house, and he exercises daily. He's pretty good mentally, but has lapses sometimes where he repeats himself. Mom is 77 and is in great shape and is sharp as a tack. She was quite the marksman w/ a .22 rifle in her youth.

There's no way in hell Dad can handle a 12 GA, & I have my doubts he could even handle a 20.

He mentioned that Hannity recommended some kind of orange plastic pistol that shoots tear gas and rubber bullets. I told him that sounded like a good way to get sued and if he ever had such an encounter, he needed something with considerably more authority to permanently end the threat.

I spoke to Ranger_Green and we both decided that a JM Marlin in .45 Colt w/ reduced or cowboy action loads would be an excellent choice for him and if she's interested, a JM 39A for Mom - either that or a Ruger Single six, nine or ten or possibly a Mark IV.

Does the forum concur?
A 9mm carbine, like the Beretta CX4 Storm.

[Linked Image from lockharttactical.com]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bristoe: Do you have a CZ 512? I don't like the idea of a "fiberglass-reinforced polymer lower half."

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hawkeye: Interesting suggestion. I'll take a look at 'em.

- Del Gue
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A can of commercial grade hornet spray and a youth Mossberg 500.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Hornet Spray idea.

- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My daughter brought over her cheapo Mossberg today asking me to take the plug out and switch to the short barrel that came with it.

Done. Had another safety lesson as well. Not a good idea to riot on her cul de sac.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Bristoe: Do you have a CZ 512? I don't like the idea of a "fiberglass-reinforced polymer lower half."

No,...don't have one yet. But I've been impressed with the reports of it's reliability in .22 wmr. As for the Polymer,...it's been around for a long time. The Glock people don't seem to have an issue with it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For elderly people with reduced hand strength that might make it difficult or impossible to work the slide on a semi-auto or use a double action revolver, a single action Ruger Blackhawk or an Italian clone of a Peacemaker with .38 Special instead of full house .357 ammo might be a good choice. The Ruger in particular is as rugged as a bank vault and very reliable - - - - -the only downside is the slow reloading. Even a SA .22 revolver would beat being completely defenseless. Pick a fairly long barrel for better accuracy if concealed carry won't be an issue.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Ruger 10/22 for both, plus a couple Ruger LCR .22's

I like that better than the Marlin Lever Action.

My Dad had Parkinson’s also in his late 70’s and he could no longer work his lever action rifles effectively. It basically caused him to short stroke the action resulting in a malfunction.
With a semiauto like the 10/22 loaded up with 25 round mags, all they have to to is click off the safety and pull the trigger.

JMHO, for whatever it’s worth. Hope your folks stay safe in Big D.
I visit my relatives there from time to time, but I wouldn’t live in that liberal run schitthole nowadays for any amount of money. It’s WAY TOO brown and black for me. White folks are quickly becoming a minority there.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/10/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
There should be centuries worth of combined experience here😂

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It's illegal to use it that way, and it doesn't work.
Get Sabre "bear spray" or pepper gel.

I'd go with a pair of 10/22's if they can't handle an 870 20 GA Youth Model.

Last edited by Snyper; 06/10/20.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thinking along the same line as Ranger but I would look at a Henry lever action in 357. Then load it up up 38 specials. Pretty simple pull the hammer back & shoot. Work the action & pull the trigger for a fallow up. Simple enough & they probably used a lever action in their younger years.

Now that I'm think about it--How about a circuit judge. It's a rifle not a pistol. Put 410Federal 000 buck shot in it. It can be use single action or double action. Or maybe a 410 pump action again with the Federal ammo.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Snyper

It's illegal to use it that way, and it doesn't work anyway.

Wrong on both counts, dope.

Illegal to use an everyday home use item in a moment of self-defense?

And it works like a charm (permanent damage aside).

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Snyper

It's illegal to use it that way, and it doesn't work anyway.

Wrong on both counts, dope.

Illegal to use an everyday home use item in a moment of self-defense?

And it works like a charm (permanent damage aside).

Yes, it's illegal to use for anything other than what it was designed for.
Read the label and you can see for yourself.

Tests have shown it's not an effective deterrent.
You can Google that and learn more also.

Or you can remain ignorant, and resort to more name calling if that makes you happier. wink

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.