Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The border will be open for fall huntin season? Starting to get a little nervous, on the fence buying Idaho tags for plan b.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Only a part time Canadian here. I asked a friend to buy some flower plants for my wife''s flower pots.

I keep hoping! The duty free shops must be doing little sales.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Judman;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking promising for you all and this finds you well.

Honestly sir, I'd opine that if anyone gives you a firm answer they're guessing as much as the next guy.

Had a guy in the auto parts store say to me the other day he thought it'd be a miracle if we see another Federal election here - so that's where some of us are for reference.

As I've mentioned in another thread that wabigoon had running, for us here in BC the tourist trade as a whole is worth $20.5 Billion annually the last time they counted it up.

Without sounding too despondent, this is absolutely the worst disaster I've seen in my lifetime. I'd go so far as to say it's worse than anything I could have imagined, you know?

Anyways sir, while I'm loathe to post in a less than positive vein, that's where I'm at this morning.

It hopefully goes without saying I hope and pray the borders will be open and that folks will still want to come up here, but at this point I have no concept of what's next.

Sorry about that sir, do stay well.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/11/20.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Dwayne, I agree it’s bad. Talked to a pard in Kauai couple nights ago, as you know they rely heavily on tourism too, they’re hurtin bad. We usually got our annual trip booked by now, but decided against it, as they have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in effect. Strange times for sure...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have mentioned elsewhere, the tourism slump has not hurt us to any great extent. I doubt this is because I am particularly astute but for this year, anyway, we are just fine and I'm spending money on improvements. Next year, if the social climate doesn't improve, it may be another story. When all the stimulus and support money dries up, many may start to feel the pinch.
The border closure, along with other restrictions, killed our shooting season and out trips to Pe El and Missoula were cancelled. Our first M-S match of the season is finally taking place tomorrow but with some restrictions. I can't begin to guess what the effect on the hunting season might be but it might even be positive. GD

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The border opening will depend to a large degree on what is happening south of the border. Washington state has reported 137 new cases, in BC 10. Washington state has 1 and 1/2 times the population of BC.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
No,I do not believe it will be open until January of 2021 at the earliest for "non essential" and hunting/fishing is "non essential" Our superstar libtard leader will just keep draining our grand kids piggy banks to fund his "pandemic" party.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Friend had a car rebuilt in Chi-town. It’s been ready to go for a month. As soon as it opens, we’ll be going to get it, but the latest news is probably late-July.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am finding Covid kinda peaceful. It might be saving lives because are highways are so quiet .
Folks that are suffering with it , are suffering and God Bless them. In the meantime I am enjoying the slowed pace .

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It maybe but they may make you quartine for 14 days. So take a month off .

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not just will the border be opened? It's also when will the 14 day quarantine be lifted?

Let's say the border opened tomorrow and I took the family to Disney Land. We would have to self quarantine for 14 days before we went to Disneyland. When we returned home, we would also have to self quarantine 14 days.

So not counting the Disneyland time, we would be quarantined for 28 days. Who can afford that much time?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not just will the border be opened? It's also when will the 14 day quarantine be lifted?

Let's say the border opened tomorrow and I took the family to Disney Land. We would have to self quarantine for 14 days before we went to Disneyland. When we returned home, we would also have to self quarantine 14 days.

So not counting the Disneyland time, we would be quarantined for 28 days. Who can afford that much time?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jud, border closure extended again. Closed for another month.

Earliest opening July 21st !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the Covid rise in states like Texas, the closure will be extended well beyond July 21st. When? No freaking idea. Can't wait for this to be over.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jud; as stated above nobody knows, I would expect to hear our idiot in chief to say "if we can save just one life" and shut the borders further.

As AB2506 has pointed out the other key question is does the required 14 day quarantine remain in place after the borders open to "non-essential" travel.

I had a trip to Texas for Aoudad booked this September and have moved it into 2021 because of lack of clarity on border openings and the 6-8 week wait time to get an ATF permit to bring a gun into the USA.

I think Idaho might be a safer bet for your hunting plans this fall.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's not looking so good. If you own a place in Canada, the bills keep coming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As it stands now if the Prime Minister opened the borders, he would be run out of town on a rail. Since this is a minority government it could happen. Our Premier had to remind the province that we hadn't closed the provincial borders to Albertans and Yukoners. . I guess we got to stop stoning those cars with Alberta plates, chuckle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like I won't be fishing LOTW or Rainey Lake this year .

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rick, you could fish both lakes, on the Minnesota side.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a good point that I have been considering .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Canadian government is extending the 14 day quarantine to all persons entering the country.That adds immensely to the time required for the visit and to the cost. Then your home nation may also have a 14 day quarantine when you return.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/quarantine-rules-extended-again-1.5631731

Effectively we're stuck on our own side of the 49th parallel. Very glad I did not put in for Wyoming antelope! Too big of a gamble that if drawn on my 9 points, I would not be able to use the tag this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in the Maritimes we are open to the maritime provinces only. No non-essential from the US and limited from the rest of Canada. We have very low infection #s right now and with the spike in some of the US states I cannot see that border opening up anytime soon. I'd be surprised if it does open on July 21 when it is scheduled.

I have three books waiting in Maine waiting for me from Mule Deer I'd like to have in hand.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I will chime in again. I like the covid era, traffic is very light, all my interests are outside with low human contact. The city folks are pretty much stuck in their houses.
God bless the poor souls who have been affected by covid but traffic fatalities must be down.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I thought you were a city guy.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Traffic was down for quite a while but it seems to be back now. The fact that fewer cars have foreign plates doesn't mean much. They are still cars on the road. I am under quarantine again after a trip to Idaho. Out before the next match though, so it won't be too much of a hardship. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe for you, but how about your wife? Stay safe, Ray

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
As long as we maintain social distancing, we get along OK wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Yep I think we’re fuucked. Be some nice holdover bucks next year

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That just plain stinks!!!

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well just pulled the trigger on a buck tag in Idaho, I just don’t think it’s gonna happen this year.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Judman;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that this finds you and yours well on this Fourth of July.

Honestly I believe you've made the logical choice here as they're not even encouraging inter provincial travel out west here yet.

While it would be my preference to assure you we'll be open by fall, at this juncture I've given up on any prognostication on my part - since nobody is consulting me anyways and they're not likely to any time soon either.

That said, whatever Ouija board or Magic 8 Ball they've been getting their cues from hasn't been panning out swell either, you know?

Anyway sir, here's to better times and brighter days ahead for us all and Happy Fourth of July to you and all our US friends south of the medicine line.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that dwayne, I’m noticing several outfitters I know and others I follow on Instagram are offering hunts to Canadians at discounted prices to recoup some $$. That should be a pretty good indication too.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As I expected, I was to fly on the 26th. I did not buy tickets but a ten grand deposit sits...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn it Ed, we gotta wait. Was planning on goin with a outfitter next year, but suspect he’ll carry over this years clients to next year. I guess the bright side is, more hold over animals will have another year to grow..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It just plain Sucks! I love my time in Canada. I love the good folks I've met there more than all fish, and game in all Ontario.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree wabi, one of my favorite hunts.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jud, I used to dream of hunting moose around our place in Wabigoon. The moose have gotten scarce, and my 76 year old legs ain't what the used to be

I've had more than my share of good times in NW Ontario. Lord Jesus has blessed me greatly.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Jud, I used to dream of hunting moose around our place in Wabigoon. The moose have gotten scarce, and my 76 year old legs ain't what the used to be

I've had more than my share of good times in NW Ontario. Lord Jesus has blessed me greatly.

Good deal brother, my 45 yo legs are trying to catch up to ya!! I’ve been really fortunate but I got a lot more plans/to do’s. Pisses me off to miss a year over something stupid as this

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Truth be told, a lot of road hunting goes on, for the grouse as well.

A medium moose carcass is a lot of meat, then they ding us an export fee.

All the licenses add up to over a thousand dollars.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I would say the border is not going to be open for the rest of this year at least. It's already been pushed back twice.

As the pandemic seems to be sweeping out of control in many states in the United States largely due to the ignoring of public health regulations (social distancing and mask wearing) by wide sections of society that have lost faith in their elected officials and worse yet their medical community it's hard to see a general public Canadian support for open borders.

I personally do not support open borders at this time as I think there is a substantial risk.

The U.S. cash infusion into the Canadian economy does not trump the increased risk of disease. Apparently the E.U. feels the same way.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It appears this is the reason why the border is still closed. From CTV News.

This photo shows COVID-19 cases in Canada and the United States. The red spots in the US indicates COVID-19 hotspots. The red spots in Canada indicate the COVID intensity by province. The large red spots show more cases.

The data on the map is on a more localized level in the United States, which makes it appear more red, but there are an overwhelming number of cases south of the border compared to Canada. (Source: Johns Hopkins University)

[Linked Image from ctvnews.ca]

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/t...khQgE9Cq7SieLGfeIxMXVxdA_gfcaf4-fIU5VaZM

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Trudeau the Younger seems to think the US is one big leper colony.

This may be the third time in 34 years I have not visited the fair country of Canada.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think it's Trudeau. A sports writer on the Blue Jays beat referred to Florida as a viral cesspool. Another sports writer on the Canucks beat said something even stronger. It's a sentiment that runs across the board. The provincial heath officers are strongly against it, and they carry much more weight than the PM. We are mostly in stage 3 or better across the country,now, if we open up we may have to go back to stage one. One maritimer from PEI met an American in New Brunswick and suddenly PEI had 5 cases. That island province had had none for weeks.. I miss ordering parts on line and picking them up across the line.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Of course, I've got to blame everything on Trudeau. laugh

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Some are speculating it could be a year or better from now even. Sit back and see what happens.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thing is, Dr.Tam in an interview said they never expected that the border would have to be closed, they weren't prepared for it in any of their plans. It's sad.I've crossed into Washington state regularly for 50 years. In the beginning a wave of the hand, now we have to show passports.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Outfitters are really starting to scramble, she be some good deals for you Canadians
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free image hosting website

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before this they wouldn't take Canadian hunters . And fought to have packers barred.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don 't see Canada changing things for the benefit of tourism. I am anti Trudeau but there is no need to stir the pot. Stay home , enjoy your families , reacquaint with your neighbors, support your church

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Of course, I've got to blame everything on Trudeau. laugh

All we can blame on Trudeau (Fidel Jr.) is a debt we will never dig our way out of in my lifetime. We'll still be dependent on China for goods and we'll beg them to take our produce. This is because the boy wonder likes to beg and likes to cave in to Chinese interests. And he loves to screw Canadians. Man, he makes me sick! GD

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When I was boy back in the early fifties, the farmers blamed Eisenhower for everything. laugh

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Safe to say there are no similarities between Eisenhower and JT. GD

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Not a chance the border will be open by hunting season. A few outfitters have already canceled their season and I know a couple more who will after the July 21st deadline which we all know they will extend to who knows when. Total insanity IMO. So many businesses are going broke over this nonsense and many will never reopen again. Not just outfitters either. The list is extensive and the "cure" if you want to call it that, is going to prove to be far worse than the virus ever was. Last year 1.5 million people died from TB. Why didnt we call that a pandemic and shut the country down??

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
reading this thread, this is a perfect example of Globalists accomplish exactly what they want...

divide and conquer, decrease trade so they can control it all... economically and politically...

The DemocRATic Party in the USA has never been happier...slowly getting their communist utopia.. where they become the elitists, and the American public becomes the peasants...

People who are blind to it, or deny it... suffer from the 'it can't happen here' syndrome...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What you Yanks don't understand is that Canada is very divided . Western Canada funds Eastern Canada, the East has the far greater population and controls political policy. It is not equitable.
During the world wars the bulk of the fightinging men came from the west, tough westerners and fierce fighters.
Trudeau, his Dad and his ilk are on the other side and this is/was not good for western Canada.
I do however hope Canada keep travel restrictions in place, tourism creates a false economy, unneccessary and wasteful. Learn how to enjoy you own home, imo.
We see no covid here, and don't need to import any.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Seafire
reading this thread, this is a perfect example of Globalists accomplish exactly what they want...

divide and conquer, decrease trade so they can control it all... economically and politically...

The DemocRATic Party in the USA has never been happier...slowly getting their communist utopia.. where they become the elitists, and the American public becomes the peasants...

People who are blind to it, or deny it... suffer from the 'it can't happen here' syndrome...

^^ Bingo. The people who are blind to it are going to soon see the results. Here in Yukon we rely heavily on the tourist business, most of which is connected to the USA / Alaska in some way. Since they closed the borders all traffic en-route to AK has at least two checkpoints they must go through and only 24 hours to clear the territory. An element of the local population are mad that any American is even allowed to pass through and have been making that anger known. There have been multiple incidents of local people harassing American travellers. Last week one lady was called a "dirty American," and another older lady in a wheel chair was denied the use of a washroom. That kind of stuff has been happening for weeks now and its disgusting. Word travels fast and those Americans are going to talk about how they were treated in Canada.

The majority of Yukoner's work for the Govt.so they dont care if another tourist ever visits the Territory. Its amazing to me how the mainstream media has instilled so much fear into a large portion of the population. Its like people have forgotten how to think for themselves. Meanwhile the country is going broke right before our eyes and although it looks like the US economy is going to rebound rather quickly, Canada is not so lucky. Most economists are predicting a continuing weak dollar and extreme inflation just around the corner. The tourist business will never be the same again, and that includes hunting. I was talking about this with an outfitter friend the other day and he agreed. Why would an American hunter choose to come here when they can go to Alaska and hunt the same species when they or someone they know was treated like dirt here?? A lot of those stories made the paper too so of course were picked up by social media...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

You are the classic example of the ignorant American. Mercifully, not every American is as stupid as you and GregW. 😂

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by comerade
What you Yanks don't understand is that Canada is very divided . Western Canada funds Eastern Canada, the East has the far greater population and controls political policy. It is not equitable.
During the world wars the bulk of the fightinging men came from the west, tough westerners and fierce fighters.
Trudeau, his Dad and his ilk are on the other side and this is/was not good for western Canada.
I do however hope Canada keep travel restrictions in place, tourism creates a false economy, unneccessary and wasteful. Learn how to enjoy you own home, imo.
We see no covid here, and don't need to import any.

Having lived and worked (oil sands) in Alberta for five years the division was quite obvious.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've been fishing on BWCA, Quetico, and VNP border lakes for > 20 years. Always buy both licenses so we can fish both sides. This year we were told we could not fish the Canada side, or be caught in Canada waters. When I asked for a refund of my license fee since I couldn't use it. I was told there were no refunds after license had expired. I explained it was an 8 day license and I didn't have any way to contact until the license had expired. They basically said too bad, no refund. I really feel bad for the outfitters and other folks who depend on tourism. I'm sure many will not survive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not going to be to popular with this. The Canadian GDP shrunk by 11.6% in April . At this rate, the drop will be worse than even the Great Depression ! The only reason we are still limping along is the huge amount of money the federal government has thrown at it. Like FDR did in the Great Depression. They will not be able to continue doing this. They will have to scale back and we will have a depression, that's a given, not merely a recession. We all know what the Conservative mantra of balanced budget led to in the early thirties. It took ten years and a World War to undo that,. The Chinese are reporting a 90% economy, as if you can trust Chinese numbers, it's likely worse. Until we have a vaccine, to keep even this 90% economy, we'll be lucky if it's that much, limping along, we will have to live with the New Normal. Otherwise accept large scale deaths, since I'll likely be one of them, I don't like that idea.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

You are the classic example of the ignorant American. Mercifully, not every American is as stupid as you.

Not a shocking development that you are in disagreeance Davy Crockett...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say it's unlikely they'll open the border. Our numbers are similar to the US even though our MSM never ever mentions our numbers, only that Trump's America is having record problems. So that means our Yankee-hating Liberal government is in no hurry to open the border.

And I hope you don't open your border to anyone from Quebec or Ontario. Here in the West we have a very different situation.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
GregW,

Johnny must have asked for help. grin ...but didn't get any.

Hush now. I here they are giving away free ice cream at the corner store. 😀

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
GregW,

Johnny must have asked for help. grin ...but didn't get any.

Hush now. I here they are giving away free ice cream at the corner store. 😀

Helps when you actually make sense when trying a dig....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by grouseman
...And I hope you don't open your border to anyone from Quebec or Ontario. Here in the West we have a very different situation.

That is sensible. It's pointless to spread it around.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
That map is trash...you have way more land mass and about 1/9 the population, and your Bolshevik mapmakers at CTV didn't assign covid densities geographically on your side; rather they put a big dot in the center of the province. Stupid, and your genius population buys it hook/line/sinker.

Canada isn't blessed with a strong anti-globalist chief executive, and as a result, their benevolent press aren't marketing an internal disaster. None of this is complicated, Redgwell.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My name is Steve. You did not read the article. It explains the red dots. If you wish to debate the map, chat with either CTV News or Johns Hopkins. This isn't complicated, Vek. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I'm not going to be to popular with this. The Canadian GDP shrunk by 11.6% in April . At this rate, the drop will be worse than even the Great Depression ! The only reason we are still limping along is the huge amount of money the federal government has thrown at it. Like FDR did in the Great Depression. They will not be able to continue doing this. They will have to scale back and we will have a depression, that's a given, not merely a recession. We all know what the Conservative mantra of balanced budget led to in the early thirties. It took ten years and a World War to undo that,. The Chinese are reporting a 90% economy, as if you can trust Chinese numbers, it's likely worse. Until we have a vaccine, to keep even this 90% economy, we'll be lucky if it's that much, limping along, we will have to live with the New Normal. Otherwise accept large scale deaths, since I'll likely be one of them, I don't like that idea.

What Trudeau has done is nothing like what FDR did. At least FDR paid for something rather than just rewarding people for not working. Programs like the CCC built infrastructure and allowed people to earn their living. While the country spent some money, they at least got some tangible assets for it. JT just tries to find new ways to buy support.
It remains to be seen just how serious the corona virus is going to be. In this, as in everything else, we citizens are left with trying to sort facts from two extreme views. One thing is certain, it has managed to effect change where nothing else could. Mostly, it has shown the west can be stampeded. GD

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I agree that the govt should have tried some work program, but because COVID was the reason, it would be difficult to find employment and keep ones distance. This is being a smart ass, but they could always have been given a govt job. The feds are understaffed. 😀

This is an interesting link. The source is the European Centre for Disease Prevention. A bit of reading here. It suggests that, for Canada and the US at least, the borders won't be open for visitors soon.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...e-canada-and-other-key-nations-1.4881500

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If we do not get up this summer, I'm bummed out.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

Last edited by Moosie_4570; 07/11/20.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If we do not get up this summer, I'm bummed out.

It's not looking good. This year has been a mess.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
2020, the year that wasn't.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wabigoon, before 9/11 , way before...I was asked to sing our national anthem to prove I was Canadian, I had no I.D. and US border people wanted to let me through.
It worked and I had my usual gallonage of Montana beer that evening. Maybe, give this a shot?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Border closed till August 21st now !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here is a CTV news video that explains everything. An excellent synopsis that explains why everything will remain closed.

Trudeau is trying to appease the US and Canadians by going 30 days at a time. Essentially, he is leading everyone on to make them feel better. Some might say "false hope", but while the feds take their advice from the medical community, the PR is theirs alone. The government wants to remain optimistic, and pass that feeling along to Canadians. For example, they will put the carrot of '30 more days' out for the public, rather than a period of months or even the end of the year.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/can...closed-another-30-days-sources-1.5023287

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In BC we hit a week of 20+ new cases a day, at that level there is talk of scaling back the opening. Washington state, one and half our population hit 500 per day yesterday .

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya it’s exploding down here, ain’t gonna happen this year,

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was a little confused as I thought the border had already been closed until August 31st. But this article I posted previously isn't about the border closure, but about mandatory 14 day isolation for people coming into Canada.

https://rdnewsnow.com/2020/07/02/fe...8meGQQbAJVOO7Jo34pm3DFosV8TzRnivRgz60XY0

Me bad.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't care who is PM, as long as he listens to the medical people. Justin is only a mouthpiece for the ones who actually make the decisions. We can be thankful that he is genuinely too dense to govern, and lets others do the heavy lifting.

His goofy nature will get him tossed out, but through this crisis, his handlers were smart wnough to tell him to hush up.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When I make the trip I want to fish, and visit good friends, I don't want to sit.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Richard—I know a couple of non-resident land owners who have come here—but they had to self-quarentine and that means no going into town—have to have groceries delivered—and no fishing—they have to stay on property. The OPP were checking up on them also.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks Karl, That's how I understood it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Karl, short question for you, are you a Canadian citizen?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’m dual citizen—became a Canadian in 1977 and got my US citizenship back under free trade in 1984. I have a US passport and can cross the border at any time but would have to quarentine upon my return.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks Karl, it would be a pleasure to shake your hand some day.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
And they extended it through September...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
CBC just ran a piece that says we are looking at midsummer of 21 before the border will open. Wont be many hunting or fishing outfits left in business by then.

I agree with Dwayne. This is the worst fiasco thats happened in my lifetime. Not only are we being put out of business by the mess they have made with covid, but now we have FN issues coming out of our ears. They are trying to stop hunting/fishing in every corner of the north it seems. Just today the Liard First Nation ran an add in the paper saying they were banning all non native hunting in their traditional territory. This isn't legal and they in fact cant stop anyone but who wants the hassle. You would have to be crazy to get into the outfitting business in Canada now. In fact most of the outfits I know are looking at the best way to get out while their investment still has some value.

The fact is that it will never get back to what it was before covid. Just the rescheduling alone is going to take years to straighten out, and prices are going to go way up. No way around that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
And they extended it through September...

September 21.

Originally Posted by yukon254
CBC just ran a piece that says we are looking at midsummer of 21 before the border will open. Wont be many hunting or fishing outfits left in business by then.

I agree with Dwayne. This is the worst fiasco thats happened in my lifetime. Not only are we being put out of business by the mess they have made with covid, but now we have FN issues coming out of our ears. They are trying to stop hunting/fishing in every corner of the north it seems. Just today the Liard First Nation ran an add in the paper saying they were banning all non native hunting in their traditional territory. This isn't legal and they in fact cant stop anyone but who wants the hassle. You would have to be crazy to get into the outfitting business in Canada now. In fact most of the outfits I know are looking at the best way to get out while their investment still has some value.

The fact is that it will never get back to what it was before covid. Just the rescheduling alone is going to take years to straighten out, and prices are going to go way up. No way around that.

For what reason did they justify their speculation that the border won't open until mid 2021?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I saw CTV National News. Our illustrious Covid Dr. Pham is using models again. Says there's going to be a huge peak in the fall plus the flu. Smaller peaks all through 2021 and into 2022.

Fearmonger.

Last edited by AB2506; 08/14/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It is out of my control and quite like the extra peace around home. The river has few non residents and fishing is better for locals , traffic is lighter and our local guide outfitters will suffer greatly and have to return deposits to many foreign hunters.
Families are closer, townsfolk even more friendly.
I don't see any covid in my world, I do know it is a massive problem.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well I guess it's official now for me as well.....history.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AB2506, those are just models, mind you, as my buddy said, come September they are going to let all those little germ spreaders loose.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell we might not get to hunt up there next year either

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Seriously Jud........who knows?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I Hope not.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Ya hard to say, never know

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Try to make lemonade from lemons. smile The numbers of moose/deer/bear, etc. will grow. A larger population will yield a higher harvest in the future.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Ya hard to say, never know

Indeed.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
It is out of my control and quite like the extra peace around home. The river has few non residents and fishing is better for locals , traffic is lighter and our local guide outfitters will suffer greatly and have to return deposits to many foreign hunters.

Deposits are rarely refundable. Hopefully most hunters bought travel insurance.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It works both ways - We are used to taking our vacation in January down in Goodyear, AZ and didn't go this year and won't probably go next year.

Frankly with all that's going on in the U.S. (Covid, identity politics, defunding police, upcoming election turmoil etc) it scares the hell out of me.

What really worries me is that we are usually 3 or 4 years behind what happens in the U.S. - all of those issues will be coming here eventually.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m not hating on canucks whatsoever, I love em, great folks got several buddies up there I’d do anything for. This shiit is out of their control. As far as refunds, it’s the least of my worries, once the border opens up, the deposits willl carry over and we’ll have some good huntin...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
AB2506, those are just models, mind you, as my buddy said, come September they are going to let all those little germ spreaders loose.

I know. I would prefer they disregard models when making public policy. Seems the models have seldom been right and change as often as the wind changes direction.

I also don't trust Pham if she is still an agent of the WHO. They have not forthright about Covid and China since the beginning.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Been watching things from here in VA for a while and its not looking to promising this year. Been hunting whitetails in Nova Scotia since living on the family thee farm in the 70's. Been going back to hunt with my dad and my brother since 1982. Lots of good memory's missed less than 5 years in all that time. Was there to see my dad harvest a spike whitetail last year at 88 years young and he's still talking about hunting. I'll see if I can post a pic later.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I’m not hating on canucks whatsoever, I love em, great folks got several buddies up there I’d do anything for. This shiit is out of their control. As far as refunds, it’s the least of my worries, once the border opens up, the deposits willl carry over and we’ll have some good huntin...

Spot on. We lived in Calgary for 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed our time there and the friends we made. My deposit will roll to 2021 and I am fine with that. More time to get in shape...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

Spot on. We lived in Calgary for 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed our time there and the friends we made. My deposit will roll to 2021 and I am fine with that. More time to get in shape...

What are you looking to hunt EdM?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The moose hunt outfitter I talked to in NFLD last night isn't taking anyone this year, American OR Canadian.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by EdM

Goat, moose and elk with a chance (i.e., gratis) at mountain caribou, wolf and black bear. Sixteen days.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by EdM

Goat, moose and elk with a chance (i.e., gratis) at mountain caribou, wolf and black bear. Sixteen days.

Damn man what a trip!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by yukon254

Deposits are rarely refundable. Hopefully most hunters bought travel insurance.

Travel insurance may not help. Don't know if they are all like this, but my wife's to Europe did not cover "pandemics". I don't know what it DID cover, but I told her to read the fine print & check other sources next time she buys travel insurance.

Money is being held for a future trip, however. As is our Africa deposit....

I'm gonna be rich!!! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My outfitter is mailing my deposit back since "none of this was your fault" according to him. I can't go next year or I'd have told him to roll it over.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My outfitter, Stone Mountain Safaris, emailed yesterday confirming the season is gone. Earlier they gave the heads up advising that he may need help to get through if the total season is a loss. It is really unfortunate in that they just purchased the operation as the virus started to grow. They also own Folding Mountain Outfitters, another fairly large operation. They are requesting 20% additional deposit come June which I am fine with. They already have 50%.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There are a few threads around about the closed borders and canceled trips this year. It's safe to say that the year is a write off. Our federal government announces month to month so folks live in hope. The feds know that it's a false hope, but they like to be seen as good guys.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's an agreement. I'm not sure if they said this is the new normal until everyone is vaccinated, how well that would go over.

In the early '70s I backpacked through the Greek islands. I remember having to get shots and having it marked in my passport. I can see that coming around the world.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They haven't announced anything about vaccinations, but it could come to that. Specifically, not being able to cross a border unless you are vaccinated and have proof of same.

As it stands, rather than stopping all border crossings for a longer period of time - say 6 months - they are doing it month to month. This shorter period presents a (false) hope to travellers. You wait another 4 weeks for the announcement. It's an illusion that the COVID thing may be over sooner than you expect. But of course, it is not. We've seen this already. June became July. July became August. August became September, etc.

The way I see it, when the doctors were consulting in private with politicians and told them that it wouldn't be until the end of the year, or even into 2021, the government should have been open and declared the country closed until Dec 31st. Tell everyone that it might be possible to open before that, but it is too early to tell. Plan accordingly. Another announcement will be made in the fall.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Like women, governments can, and do, change their minds.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, they do. Had they announced a longer closure, people could have vented their anger or dismay and gotten it out of their systems. As it stands, the anger festers. More with people from outside of Canada who planned vacations, hunts or other trips.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My father talked of a boy that did not want hurt his dog by cutting off it's tail, so he cut it off an inch at a time.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As I understand it Canada invoked its Quarantine Act and under that legislation it has to be renewed every 30 days.

I don’t talk politics with my American friends—many of whom hate Trump and many of whom love him. They all assume that I think the same way they do. I know it’s dishonest but I just let them think whatever. I don’t like to argue.

I seem to have to answer a lot of questions about how our Parlimintary System works and most Americans can’t seem to get their head around the fact that we don’t vote personally for the Prime Minister. I really have no idea how Roberts Rules of Order work so I generally explain to people that I’m just a peckerwood who lives in the bush with too many guns.

I heard something interesting from a Canadian friend who claimed that no Politician in Canada could come out in favour of opening the border—because its something like 80% of the population is in favour of keeping the border closed. An American friend told me that there will be no push to open the border until after the election—he said if one Covid case came in from Canada it would be all Trumps Fault.

Locally we have had one of our nicest Summers in a long time—calm weather—just enough rain and great fishing—just wish I could share it with my usual American buddies.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The act renewal does, but that is separate from the time the borders could be closed. For example, they close the border for 6 months, assess monthly, and lift the people restriction should the situation allow.

Goods are still moving back and forth. travel is the most restricted. No doubt other things would be affected.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/q-1.1/FullText.html

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Is there any kind of date set for the next monthly announcement? I know it’s a long shot, but my moose/bear hunt in Newfoundland hasn’t officially been cancelled yet. If the border does happen to open up, I’m due to leave for Canada on Sept 29. If the closure is extended, my hunt is bumped to 2021.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It was extending 30 days until 21 Sept. The announcement extending it to October will be made on or around 21 September. If it happens the same as the rest, the border will remain closed until 21 Oct.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Steve,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully they give us some sort of indication prior to the 21st, as that gives me very little notice before we are set to depart. If not, I’ll guess I’ll just have my bags packed and wait...

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've given up, by September 21'st, I'll be running a combine.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.