Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've been looking for a couple of somewhat specific models of .22WMR for a few years, but have not been finding exactly what I want for the money I had at the time. So it's probably time to cast a wider net...

Here's what I'm looking for and will not sway on these features at the moment:
1. .22WMR
2. Bolt Action
3. Detachable box magazine
4. 7+ round capacity
5. OPEN SIGHTS
6. Dependable and rugged method to mount a good scope
7. Budget: at or under $500
8. New or used is fine.
9. Extra magazines must be available as I will purchase extras.

What would you recommend to fill all these features?

Thanks!

Plainsman

[email protected]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been eyeballing this Ruger American Compact at CDNN for $270. Figured I could buy a full size stock if needed. I'm really holding out for a 77/22 in WMR, though, since I have one in .22 LR and .17 HMR.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-a...syn-stk-1-9rd.html?___SID=U#.XrR4AGhKiUl

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Overall, a Marlin would seem to fit your bill, and budget. Savage is also there, but the quality of the magazines Savage makes are poor, horrible, in fact. The Marlin magazines are a lot better made. Both seem to be pretty accurate, for the .22WMR, anyway.

I had a Ruger American, the SS version, and it developed extraction issues fairly quickly. I loved it's handling, light weight, compactness, everything but the sticky extraction. I got mad at it and gave it to a nephew.
No iron sights on the SS model, some of the other SKUs have iron sights.

Those are about the only boltguns in your price range that have open sights are those noted. You might be able to find a used CZ 455 with iron sights, but most that buy CZs usually keep them anyway.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I've been eyeballing this Ruger American Compact at CDNN for $270. Figured I could buy a full size stock if needed. I'm really holding out for a 77/22 in WMR, though, since I have one in .22 LR and .17 HMR.

No need to restock it, just put on the longer module.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
CZ s are hard to beat. At the upper end of the budget.
Savages are great especially if you want a stainless one, and well within the budget.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Thanks, RS, hadn't looked into whether the base stock was the same. I was actually thinking the shorter LOP combined with the shorter barrel might make for a dandy truck gun.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Thanks, RS, hadn't looked into whether the base stock was the same. I was actually thinking the shorter LOP combined with the shorter barrel might make for a dandy truck gun.

It does. I love mine in .22

I got the longer length of pull module with higher comb for scope use. My compact came with two modules with the short length of pull. One with low comb for open sights and one with high comb for scope use. I think I paid $20 for the longer high comb module. It wears one of the short l.o.p. modules mostly as the kids shoot it ALLOT.

Neat rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Plainsman
I've been looking for a couple of somewhat specific models of .22WMR for a few years, but have not been finding exactly what I want for the money I had at the time. So it's probably time to cast a wider net...

1. .22WMR
2. Bolt Action
4. 7+ round capacity
5. OPEN SIGHTS
8. New or used is fine.

Thanks!

Sounds like the Marlin 782/882/982/X-22M/XT-22MR to me.

I like the older stainess Marlin 882S/982S because they require less attention than a blued CM firearem. I also like the fact that they have both a 4-shot and 7-shot magazine. I like the 4-shot magazine because it doesn't protrude far below the bottom of the stock, making for better one-hand carry balance.

I have a NIB XT-22MR that I bought for a friend back in 2015 who changed his mind and never came to pick it up or pay for it. I have $215 in it and would shipping to your dealer for $215 plus the actual shipping and insurance cost turns out to be. It is just taking up space for me.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had a Ruger 77/22 mag, nice rifle unless you wanted to hit what you were shooting at.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Always wanted a 77/22 but they’ve not made it LH. I do have a 77/22 Hornet that I rebarreled to 17 Hornet.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Had a Ruger 77/22 mag, nice rifle unless you wanted to hit what you were shooting at.

Both of my 77/22s are pleasantly accurate.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by dale06

Both of my 77/22s are pleasantly accurate.

all my Rugers in 22LR AND 22 Mags and 22 Hornets are all very accurate ,Ruger still makes the best clip/magazine system also for these rifles

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Plainsman

1. .22WMR
2. Bolt Action
4. 7+ round capacity
5. OPEN SIGHTS
8. New or used is fine.

Thanks!

Sounds like the Marlin 782/882/982/X-22M/XT-22MR to me.

I like the older stainess Marlin 882S/982S because they require less attention than a blued CM firearem. I also like the fact that they have both a 4-shot and 7-shot magazine. I like the 4-shot magazine because it doesn't protrude far below the bottom of the stock, making for better one-hand carry balance.

I have a NIB XT-22MR that I bought for a friend back in 2015 who changed his mind and never came to pick it up or pay for it. I have $215 in it and would shipping to your dealer for $215 plus the actual shipping and insurance cost turns out to be. It is just taking up space for me.

Hard to beat right there! Every Marlin Bolt Action .22 mag I’ve owned has been extremely accurate. Although I prefer their tube fed versions, personally.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would look at the ruger american based your your list. I have 2 77/22's, a LR and WMR and love them, but they dont have open sights. The American model has them and flush fit 10 round mags, which is a huge plus for me. I personally dont care for the savage or marlin due to the sharp edges on the mags that stick out to far, and also dig into my back when shouldered with a sling. Now the tube feed Marlin would be one to check out also, if you can find one. I had one a foolishly sold it to get a savage that I ended up selling because of the magazine. The Ruger American seems to be the way to go on newer models to fit your bill, and they also offer a compact model.

Dont eat the big white mint!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have 19 rifles chambered in .22 Magnum, plus a few Savage 24 combination gun, and a few revolvers. If I had to limit myself to a single .22 Magnum it would be a Marlin 983S with a Rifle Basix trigger.

My friend, Andy, is a subsistence farmer, rancher, hunter, fisher, gatherer in NH. His everyday carry firearm is either 783s or an 883s, I can't remember which, and he supplements his diet with small game that is killed with that rifle.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
At the recommendation of some gentlemen that was kind enough to share this screaming deal in the Classified Section, I bought one of these: https://www.dahlonegaarmory.com/pro...gnum-20.6-51-walnut-blued#product_detail

I can't explain why, but of all the firearms I own, this one puts a big old smile on my face everytime I handle it. I've only had a chance to shoot it once earlier this week. Was able to nail a 12 oz coke can at 75 yards with the iron sights. Love this little rifle, it just looks and feels right.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those are pretty sweet rifles... I have a similar model in just .22LR. It's very accurate and a ball to use..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hamrick

That may be hard to beat for the price.

The Browning T bolt is a nice one, but cost more than the CZ. I did some trigger work on this one. It's fast and accurate. I don't think it would outshoot the CZ you posted, but may run pretty close. I like the mag, can store one in the butt stock.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a Mossberg Chuckster if anyone needs one.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.