Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Old Bushmaster, Stag and a Frankengun, all 1 in 9. All shot 55gr sub moa.

JP springs and a set screw to remove some creep helps.

Non free float, two were xm177 style (heavy bbl under handguard,11.5 +5.5.
Both chrome lined.

None were pencil or M4. The other was a medium 16.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/08/20.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have an m4 for a lighter yote rig, non chrome lined 1 in 8.
Gets a free float handguard tomorrow.
Maybe shoot it this weekend.

Need to decide on an optic

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Try a known scope as a baseline. Gotta narrow things down a bit. Just wasting time otherwise IMO.

No rocket surgeon, but, freefloted handguard is what matters as there's not variable pressure on the gas block and tube. Am I wrong? Not saying to change, just a comment on the OPs statement regarding freefloat.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR
Molon did a good testing of various M193 ammo clones.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/16-511804/?

That's a good read. I'm surprised molon didn't use a 20 inch hbar. Military standard state that they use a 20 inch hbar and get two in groups at a hundred yards with the rifle in a machine rest. I'll be curious to see how my new Colt shoots tomorrow

Actually the ammo spec'd a 2" mean radi at 200 yards from a machine rested bolt gun and that was 10 shot groups or 30 rounds combined. That's far from being MOA but farther from being worthless as some consider M193.

I don't know if the MIL ever had any HBAR's, that was something Colt dropped on us. The MIL used Govt profile barrels and my favorite pencil barrels. Of course this info is 10 years old. They do now use a SOCOM profile 14.5 and others.

Molon stated his 16" HBAR was the most accurate chrome lined barrel he had, probably why he used it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
Old Bushmaster, Stag and a Frankengun, all 1 in 9. All shot 55gr sub moa.

JP springs and a set screw to remove some creep helps.

Non free float, two were xm177 style (heavy bbl under handguard,11.5 +5.5.
Both chrome lined.

None were pencil or M4. The other was a medium 16.

Sounds pretty damn good. I don't remember seeing those entries in the black rifle challenge. With shooting like that, they should be entered. Was that with iron sights? I almost busted the moa barrier with my Noveske tonight with iron sights...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No those were scoped and benched.

Bifocals last yr
Now everything needs an optic

Which has me wondering how bad my groups would be at 100 w a 1 moa reddot. Try to hit the range this weekend.

Hopefully it wont be a disappointment.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Surprised my first AR shot well ( bought used around '99).
55gr and 1 in 9.
So.....thats what my other ARs have been.

Until now.

Got a 1 in 8 to try w 55gr
Lighter w FF handguard......Im hoping it does well.

Need a scope to test it. But will give it a go w irons if my DD front sight comes in.

I wear bifocals now ( mid 50s ) but eyes were 20/15 through my 40s and better before then.

Def need some optic to test chit these days. But if my front sight comes in Ill give a brand new bbl a go.

Have no idea what break in should be. 20 rounds and then clean and fire 2 foulers?

I dont give a fugg....its a new gun, see how bad it is and document it. See if it gets better w use.

No need to be a twat about it. It will be whatever the hell it is.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/09/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Do need a scope..

No spares.

Kinda eyeballing the Mark AR 3-9x for $299

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
MM,

I did a couple of 10 shot groups, but they were at 50 yards. They also showed basically 2 groups, one pretty centered and one low and right.

Renegade may be right on about my position and technique.

What ammo on the box target?

Sounds like astigmatism. I see 2 front sights and I use the wrong one 50% of the time.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
Surprised my first AR shot well ( bought used around '99).
55gr and 1 in 9.
So.....thats what my other ARs have been.

Until now.

Got a 1 in 8 to try w 55gr
Lighter w FF handguard......Im hoping it does well.

Need a scope to test it. But will give it a go w irons if my DD front sight comes in.

I wear bifocals now ( mid 50s ) but eyes were 20/15 through my 40s and better before then.

Def need some optic to test chit these days. But if my front sight comes in Ill give a brand new bbl a go.

Have no idea what break in should be. 20 rounds and then clean and fire 2 foulers?

I dont give a fugg....its a new gun, see how bad it is and document it. See if it gets better w use.

No need to be a twat about it. It will be whatever the hell it is.

grin Very true... Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get damn lucky.. Good luck with yours this weekend..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Had a window of opportunity to shoot again today. And I know where my front and rear bags are, but chose not to take the time to dig them out, as it would have eaten up my time window.

But I did make some changes. I determined over the weekend that both the small and large apertures on the mag-pul sight hit to the same elevation. My shooting on the weekend was done with the large aperture as it afforded a brighter sight picture. And out to 50 yards I shoot about equally well with either.

I found today that the smaller aperture does tighten me up a bit at 100 yards. And it kept all my shots on paper at 200.

I also used a jacket on the shooting table to pad my elbows. This also helped tighten me up a bit, but I offset that by shooting 10 round groups. The wind was also quite playful today, and I'll use it as a partial excuse for a few of the wilder shots.

Today I used a 6" black Shoot-N-C on the white back of the same targets I used on the weekend. They did improve target visibility somewhat, but I'd do better with a 9" target, or maybe larger yet, particularly at 200.

I did snap a couple of pics and will post them before bedtime...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I will go along with those who are telling you that shooting an AR is a different game altogether. I got my first one 25 or 30 years ago, a Colt HBAR Match. I had grown up shooting irons, don't think I even looked through a scope until I was 16 or so. My first attempts with the Colt left me seriously discouraged. I got results not quite as good as I got with the same loads in my Mini-14. That should tell you something. I struggled for a while, then somebody waved a cheap, clip on top of the carry-handle scope in front of me for almost nothing. I tried it and it was encouraging. Finally, a friend who had a WHOLE lot more experience shooting AR's and M-16's than I did, took it to the range one day with a magazine full of my handloads. He brought it back with a couple of sub-moa ten shot groups and said, "There's nothing wrong with your rifle or you loads." That's when I started to learn a little bit different type of shooting than bolt guns.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Have the the barrel cryogenically treated. Usually less than $100

https://www.bing.com/search?q=cryog...09E85DC16507C4CDA&FORM=QBRE&sp=1

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's a couple of pics from today. Note that the 1st pic (100 yards) has 15 holes in the paper. I shot 5 from the Marlin 1894 .357, and those are the 5 lowest holes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could almost be happy with the 100 yard group from the AR. IF I threw out that flyer off to the right.

And here's my 200 yard target.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might double check that the gas tube isn't making contact with the gas key.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeS
You might double check that the gas tube isn't making contact with the gas key.

Tell me more please?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The gas key on the top of the bolt carrier slides over the gas tube projecting into the receiver above the barrel when the carrier is forward. They should not touch/ rub, or accuracy suffers.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK thanks...

Pretty sure that most of the accuracy issues with this rifle begin and end with me. Seems more and more these days that when I touch a rifle it's accuracy suffers.

But if I just can't get it to shoot, and I know I've addressed the accuracy issues I have, I'll check that out...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by johnw
Had a window of opportunity to shoot again today. And I know where my front and rear bags are, but chose not to take the time to dig them out, as it would have eaten up my time window.

But I did make some changes. I determined over the weekend that both the small and large apertures on the mag-pul sight hit to the same elevation. My shooting on the weekend was done with the large aperture as it afforded a brighter sight picture. And out to 50 yards I shoot about equally well with either.

I found today that the smaller aperture does tighten me up a bit at 100 yards. And it kept all my shots on paper at 200.

I also used a jacket on the shooting table to pad my elbows. This also helped tighten me up a bit, but I offset that by shooting 10 round groups. The wind was also quite playful today, and I'll use it as a partial excuse for a few of the wilder shots.

Today I used a 6" black Shoot-N-C on the white back of the same targets I used on the weekend. They did improve target visibility somewhat, but I'd do better with a 9" target, or maybe larger yet, particularly at 200.

I did snap a couple of pics and will post them before bedtime...

For evaluating a new rifle, it is very imperative to shoot larger shot strings. 10 shots for example. Sounds like you are doing it right. You are right about using a bigger target at 200 yards as well. If you were shooting a NRA target at 200 yards, the black bull would be 13 inches in diameter. One thing I'd suggest, is shoot it at 100 yards, until things start tightening up. Its easier to diagnose a problem at shorter range, such as 100 yards. If you are still shooting military 55gr crap, switch ammo as well...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think there is anything going on there that a scope, a better trigger, and some accurate ammo wouldn't fix.
Down the rabbit hole!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.