Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
One of my handloading experiments involved trying to makes shot shells that would pattern from a .44 mag revolver.

I took some steel mesh window screen material and wrapped it around some #6 shot, then stitched it closed with some very fine wire,..stuffed it down into some of those plastic CCI shot capsules.

My intent was to hold the shot together for a distance after it exited the barrel,...hoping that it would break out of the screen during flight and result in good patterns.

I loaded it light. Three grains of Bullseye. The loads had very little recoil and didn't make much of a pop when they went off. But at 20 feet they blew a hole about 1.5 inches in diameter through a 3/4" piece of plywood. Apparently, the screen was too strong for the #6 shot to break through, so they were just bean bags of shot.

I thought at the time that they would be a hell of a defensive load. But I wouldn't have to face a jury after defending myself with a Frankenstein load like that.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of great replies and a lot to consider. Thanks Fellers.

EE: Thanks. Having never handled or fired a Model 10 or Govenor, I made certain assumptions that may have been incorrect. I wil take a closer look at some of S&W’s offerings that might be appropriate for them. Regarding a lever, cost isn’t really a factor for them, so if I do go that route, I’d rather get them a nice JM carbine. I appreciate your recommendations. The photo you posted – is that a Model 10? I cannot see it very well… Yep, Dallas is frickin’ huge and the population keeps growing, with more and more undesirables. Unfortunately, like a lot of formerly conservative cities, all the left-coasters moving to Dallas have brought their idiotic ideas and politics with them and they are doing their best to turn Dallas into the Liberal craphole they escaped in the first place. Frickin’ morons. It won’t be long until they turn TX blue, which will be bad for the entire country.

Conrad: Thanks. Good info there. I was thinking an AR would be a good choice. I know ARs are simple and intuitive to operate for those familiar with firearms, but my folks are not. I’m not worried too much about Mom, but Dad is another story. Hell, I’ve shown him at least a hundred times how to copy a URL and paste it into the body of an e-mail so he can send it to me and he STILL has absolutely no idea how to do it. Copying and pasting a URL is probably one f the most basic things you can do on a computer, but he simply cannot grasp the concept, no matter how many times I instruct him. Even writing down each step in detail for him is an exercise in futility. I don’t think there’s any way in the world he’ll remember my AR instruction. Whatever I get for the folks will have to be dead simple to operate and will need to be an old, time-proven design. What seems intuitive to us can be, and often is, a complete mystery to some older folks. Have you ever tried to teach an old-timer how to use a computer – someone who has spent his whole life with hand-written legers and mechanical lever-operated adding machines – someone who hasn’t ever used a computer in their life? I can tell you from first-hand experience that such new devices and concepts are completely and absolutely foreign to them and many simply cannot grasp the concepts. So, I’m not sure the AR is the best option for them – the danged things just look too modern, what with all the switches and levers, synthetic stocks, rails, lights, lasers, red dots and that sinister all black color scheme!

CrookedS: Thanks. I’ll take a look.

Birdwatcher: Thanks & duly noted regarding levers. I agree that a semi auto .22 would be a good choice – either a rifle or a pistola.

Ranger99: Agreed.

jimmyp: Thanks. I agree that a semi-auto is a good choice. Cost is not an issue – either of the firearm or the ammunition. I prefer the .45 Colt because it has more authority than a 9 and with less than stellar marksmanship I want him to be able to persuade a doped-up attacker that he made the wrong choice. I understand that are many who favor the 9 for various reasons, but I am not one of them. Regarding the effectiveness of the 9 over the .45, that’s obviously debatable, but I’m not really interested in a debate regarding the merits and faults of each. Besides, the point is moot if I decide on a .22 Semi auto anyway… I don’t believe that Hornet spray would be a good option either, but in certain situations, where a firearm isn’t immediately available, it’s certainly better than nothing – I certainly wouldn’t want to get sprayed in the face w/ hornet spray and I’m willing to bet that there’s not many who are. I also agree that a big problem with .22s is the quality of ammunition. Duds are a real problem and as I stated, I would never choose Remington .22 ammo for self-defense. Of the readily available .22 ammunition, CCI and Winchester have been pretty good, but I think anyone using a .22 for self defense is taking a chance with a .22. Thanks again.

hanco: Meebe.

benchman: Sounds good… or a .410 (or 28) and a Ruger Mark IV.

AKA_Spook: nice lookin’ little heater there.

Orion2000: Thanks. Generally, the folks do feel secure, but with all the groids, violence and the fact that Dallas is turning bluer by the day, I think it wise that they are wanting to arm themselves. Having a firearm or two in the house will go a long way towards ensuring their peace of mind. I’ll take a look at the Walther.

Wldthg: Yep. Good suggestion.

40O: I’ll take a close look at the Sig MPX and other variants. Thanks.

viking: I would absolutely love to get them an M1 carbine, but seriously, do you really think my folks could handle the weight, recoil and muzzle blast? I’ve been wanting to get an M1 for years and this would be a great opportunity to do so. I just didn’t consider it due to the aforementioned factors.

Mannlicher: I believe I agree with your general assessment. I don’t want to get them a firearm that will potentially cause more problems than it solves.

Paul: Good to know. Thanks. I have several Rugers on my list.

Hawkeye: Also good to know. The Walther has been mentioned before as a possibility and I’ll take a closer look.

local_dirt: Sigh… G-d love him, but my brother has some absolutely crazy ideas. He describes himself as an independent, and he recognizes that Trump was a much better choice than Cankles ever was, but I catch him making snide, almost under his breath, comments about Trump when we talk. I don’t want to denigrate my brother, but the dumbass bet me $20K that everybody, EVERYBODY, would end up getting the ‘Rona. He fell hook-line-and-sinker for the global warming/climate change scam as well and doesn’t understand that these are just another scam in a long line of scams the Leftists use to try and scare the bejesus of the population in an effort to gain power, control the population, usher in Globalism, confiscate our weapons and redistribute our wealth. He and I have had some pretty heated arguments regarding his idiotic beliefs. Maybe by the time this idiotic Kung Flu thing dies down and he has to shell out that 20 grand to me, he’ll see the light. Getting laid-off from his oilfield job certainly didn’t.

BamBam: Yep, all of the weapons you mentioned are currently under contention. I really like the idea of the Garand carbine as well, but I have concerns about the weight, recoil and report with the M1, as mentioned above. Thanks.

There_Ya_Go: Thanks. Hopefully they’ll never have to use whatever weapon they end up with, but if they are involved in an altercation, like you said, I hope the action will be over after a clip has been emptied.

Esox: Thanks, but I think a longer barrel will be beneficial, I don’t imagine that he’ll be very accurate with a snub.

Paul_M: I agree and that orange teargas pistol would be a bad idea indoors as well.

TrueGrit: Plenty of brake and carb cleaner in the garage.

G5m: Thanks, but I’ve ruled out such a device.

Hawkeye: Thankyousir.

Bristoe: Agreed regarding the pepper spray.

Snyper: Agreed, but he’d probably only need a single box. I agree with your assessment of wasp spray. Thanks.
[color:#FF0000][/color]

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/11/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
This is what I still like the revolver for. If you really want a 45 Colt, get the aforementioned Marlin carbine and a Smith and Wesson Governor. They'll have the option of all sorts of 45 Colt loads as well as 45 ACP in an array of clips that come with the gun. It also shoots 410, although the recoil with even that small shotgun shell, is considerable.

My choice for them would be a used model 10 or 15 Smith and Wesson in 38 Spec. Can be loaded up or down depending on how much recoil they want. Essentially the same Marlin carbine can be had in 357 Mag, which will shoot 38 Spec's. Remington Youth 870 in 410 if they need a shotgun too.

If they need a .22 a Smith K-22 or even a 63 Kit Gun would be a
better choice than a single action. Pair it up with a Ruger 10-22 or Slumlord's Marlin 60...or a 795 if you're not afraid of clips.

Plenty of pepper sprays out there that are better as a Less-than-Lethal weapon than Wasp Spray.

Those Smith double actions can just lay on the nightstand all the time since there are no kids around. Maybe get two of them. Too bad Texas doesn't have Constitutional Carry. Now is about the time to just open carry everywhere as long as you're mentally ready to use it.

Can’t add much better advice to this post. I liked the JM idea right off the bat. Maybe a 94 in .357 and a couple S&W 66’s or 686’s is all I’d change, if that. My mom died of parkinsons, and now my pop’s got it at 85. GI figure. He shakes pretty bad sometimes, meds depending, but he can def still work a simple lever.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 06/11/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd really like to get some feedback on the M1 Garand carbine idea.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
something ruger in 22lr: sr22, bearcat are lightweight, easy, handy, reliable. charger, wrangler, lcr-x single six, mk4 are possible if these meet your parents’ hand strength situation. non ruger alternatives that i have experience with: heritage roughrider 22lr preferably 9 shot version, beretta neos.

i put a 9 shot roughrider in my elderly mom’s apartment for her use in extremis. she liked its safety and by-the-numbers single action manual of arms. i figured that 9 cci stingers would sufficiently address her needs in her locale until security arrived.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Many years ago, when Bud's gun shop was actually owned by Bud, I was in there when a woman came in to buy a canister of pepper spray he had for sale.

He told her, "Ma'am, if you ever use this on a man you need to get away from him as soon as possible, because he's going to be pissed off!"

I don't think pepper spray is a good idea against an armed intruder.

pepper spray is one thing, but cs mace is not a good idea, except in use on old ladies.
got a call one night this extremely intoxicated guy was beating up on his parents, he was offended at the idea of us cuffing him. two of us rolling around on the floor with him, bad mistake. i sprayed him with so much of that stuff it was running down his face. he just laughed.
on the way to the jail, windows down, a/c on, we had our heads out the window like dogs, he was still laughing. at the station we washed it out, and about an hour later it hit him.
didn't have tazers in those days.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I can't see why you wouldn't go with a PCC, either the 357 lever or any of the 9mm semi auto's.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger SR22 isn't a bad choice under the circumstances. My wife and I are both old, but she wouldn't like my saying it.

I like the safety potential of the double/single action feature, although it calls for some practice to get familiar with it. The backassward safety sucks, so it isn't used, certainly not under defense circumstances.

The EZ .380 is also a nice grandma gun, and the only semiauto slide she can operate.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon

EE: Thanks. Having never handled or fired a Model 10 or Govenor, I made certain assumptions that may have been incorrect. I wil take a closer look at some of S&W’s offerings that might be appropriate for them. Regarding a lever, cost isn’t really a factor for them, so if I do go that route, I’d rather get them a nice JM carbine. I appreciate your recommendations. The photo you posted – is that a Model 10? I cannot see it very well…
No HN. That's the S&W Governor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's another shot of the Governor.

A model 10 is a smaller overall gun on S&W's K frame which is a smaller frame than the Governor's. I would not get a new one if they are still made. I'd get a used model 10, not because of cost but just because I don't like the looks or ergonomics of most new Smith's. The Governor is an exception. I'd get it new.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bristoe: Do you have a CZ 512? I don't like the idea of a "fiberglass-reinforced polymer lower half."

I have two 512s. You never even notice the polymer frame (Glock uses polymer frames, no one fusses about a low round count with a Glock), it's not a factor in normal shooting whatsoever. It's just a housing for the trigger group. All the pressure is contained in the aluminum upper (just like a 10/22 has an aluminum upper).

I've had a scad of 10/22s over the years, straight out of the box, the 512s are more accurate. by far. My 512 in .22LR will outshoot my 10/22 with it's Green Mountain barrel every single day.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by charleeontop

I like the mini shells in SxS but watch Paul Harrell's test of them. They malfunctioned in multiple different pump guns. You can load a ton, but might only get to cycle a couple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Claymores in the bushes out front...pull string problem gone..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Something about ARs. In an enclosed area a .223 with flash hider when fired is EAR SPLITTING even with hearing protection. 9mm not so much.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smith & Wesson Model 10 38 Special with standard loads, no +P's, for him. Pour Madame, a Ruger 10/22 with ammo that was tried and found to function 100% in that gun. And range time or it doesn't
work no matter what they use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m
Hannity was talking about this:

https://byrna.com/

Might do what you want.

Huck Fannity.. Get a shotgun!

Oooops, just saw the Parkinson's thing. Still pick the 20 gauge. One thing I'd be more afraid to be up against than a pissed octogenarian with a shotgun would be up against a pissed octogenarian with Parkinson's...and a shotgun.

g

Last edited by GeoW; 06/11/20.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last thing for now High Noon.

Saw this video below earlier and it reminded me of something that I did the first time an intruder broke in in the middle of the night in a nice neighborhood. The break in occurred breaching the lock on a door that splintered some frame wood. I don't want to worry you. I just want to relate a lesson that I learned from my experience that might help. I was just a teenager at the time. The kick of the door surprisingly didn't awaken me.
Some one made it past my bedroom to my mom's upstairs. He woke her up and she ran to my.room
It was her screams that got my attention.
I got my Mom secured then went straight to my brothers room with single shot squirrel gun in hand and a Pittsburgh pirates souvenir bat in hand because those were the best weapons that I had at the time. He was still asleep through it all. We weren't deaf. It just taught.me to evaluate the situation the next day.

I secured a lower window and doors so that it would.do 2 things:

1. slow down any normal breaching tools/kicks.
2. make any future break in very loud.

This would hopefully wake us up and provide me more time to be ready to identify and stop the threat(s) before they had time to get to family members.

That said, it might be worth it for your brother to install some quick/easy alarms on the doors and windows. Nothing fancy, just something that he can pick up locally that will wake up your folks if, God forbid someone tries entry. There's door hangers with sensors and paste ons that are just ok for temporary, etc. The installation of a quick effective door jambs and or frame mounted blocks might provide them more time to defend their castle if any Invaders get past the mote.

You'll notice the timing of the flashes below. Also note how fast the trash got through the door. This is over 90% of the doors in Amerika. Got me thinking about you and your concern for your family. How this is one more piece of the defense system. If nothing else will provide a little more piece of mind.

Best to them for health, happiness and a very long life.

[video:youtube]https://www.brighteon.com/338c93f1-acc9-4d5b-9bc9-4d9a017ba701[/video]

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/11/20. Reason: Typo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Benelli M4 assault shotgun is very popular right now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve had a relative with Parkinsons, actually the trembling ain’t the worst part, the general paralysis and loss of range of motion caused by the tensed-up muscles is. Parkinsonism isn’t caused by muscles not working, it’s caused by muscles working against each other.

Based on what I’ve seen, a handgun is unlikely to work. With a longarm the “good” arm can do most of the bringing the gun to bear on the target, presuming the afflicted person has an operable trigger finger on the necessary hand. IIRC Parkinsonism typically affects the hand you use the most first.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

local_dirt: Sigh… G-d love him, but my brother has some absolutely crazy ideas. He describes himself as an independent, and he recognizes that Trump was a much better choice than Cankles ever was, but I catch him making snide, almost under his breath, comments about Trump when we talk. I don’t want to denigrate my brother, but the dumbass bet me $20K that everybody, EVERYBODY, would end up getting the ‘Rona. He fell hook-line-and-sinker for the global warming/climate change scam as well and doesn’t understand that these are just another scam in a long line of scams the Leftists use to try and scare the bejesus of the population in an effort to gain power, control the population, usher in Globalism, confiscate our weapons and redistribute our wealth. He and I have had some pretty heated arguments regarding his idiotic beliefs. Maybe by the time this idiotic Kung Flu thing dies down and he has to shell out that 20 grand to me, he’ll see the light. Getting laid-off from his oilfield job certainly didn’t.

High Noon, he sounds exactly like one of my brothers. Hunter, fisherman, outdoorsman, gun guy. He's worked and made his fortune in the woods for 40 years. WTH?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.